Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2018, 10:32 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn-rocketry
I've temporarily made my photos of the St. Boni Herc available on my google drive:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L...M51h-Bfi1VkZPjD

Feel free to grab any or all of them.

After I took these photos, I exchanged some emails with the president of the local historical society about the missile and base, but now I can't seem to find them...

Those are some great photos and it's obvious that the city is proud of that display.

It is missing its tail shroud, but that exposes the aft Nike motor mounting girdle and you got some great shots of it - best I've seen. I intend to add that girdle to my NH CAD model eventually. Like some other vertical NH displays, the fins are mis-mounted by moving them upward, making the trailing edge flush with the nozzles. The elevons are bolted in place and AFAIK that makes it a training round. They've taken some license with the 'US ARMY' text, but it looks cool.

Please leave them up for a few days - I do want to pick up most of those.

I'd love to see your SF-88 pics too, you do good work and I expect they are some great pics. I'm planning to go there myself, hopefully in the next couple of months. There are some measurements missing from all the CAD drawings that I want to get.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:35 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Has anyone made any decals or have them drawn up to fit the booster section of the new Boyce Nike Hercules? Sandman had a nice set with his.

I'd love to see a decal set too.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:53 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcp
I'd love to see a decal set too.

I scanned through the records and there was a .dwg file for the decals. Next step, what scale is needed? The paper space view shows a Custom Scale of 0.0152 (approx 1:66) is this correct?

It takes me a little longer to get a set printed up because the decals I do are screen printed. Right now I am also waiting on some equipment that's supposed to be arriving by Monday.

I'm also not sure if I have a screen with a fine enough mesh to get all the detail of the hatches.

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:37 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

When I took those pics, they had, just a few months prior, fixed up the area and added those informational signs. I live about 30 miles from there, but haven't been back in some years now.

As I recall, the historical society president said that they had been told, many times over the years, that the missile was painted wrong. He said that the Army had spelled out the terms of its display in specific detail (paint and "US ARMY" on the side) and they had always honored those terms. Who knows how many coats of paint it has on it by now.

I'll have to look again and see if I can find his emails.

When I get a chance, I'll put up some photos of SF-88. I have about 400 photos from visits in 2010 and 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcp
Those are some great photos and it's obvious that the city is proud of that display.

It is missing its tail shroud, but that exposes the aft Nike motor mounting girdle and you got some great shots of it - best I've seen. I intend to add that girdle to my NH CAD model eventually. Like some other vertical NH displays, the fins are mis-mounted by moving them upward, making the trailing edge flush with the nozzles. The elevons are bolted in place and AFAIK that makes it a training round. They've taken some license with the 'US ARMY' text, but it looks cool.

Please leave them up for a few days - I do want to pick up most of those.

I'd love to see your SF-88 pics too, you do good work and I expect they are some great pics. I'm planning to go there myself, hopefully in the next couple of months. There are some measurements missing from all the CAD drawings that I want to get.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:44 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I found the email that I had received from the President of the St Bonifacius Historical Society. Here it is in an abridged form:
...We still are securing funds to pay off the $23,000 plus cost of the project including the signs, the lighting (it is impressive at night) and the new coat of paint. This is the 6th time we have repainted it. This project has been my baby since they announced the closing of the base. A friend and I put up the last $3000 to complete the project and money is still trickling in. It seems a lot of folks that served there have found out and are helping us. ... The National Nike Ass. wrote me an E Mail stating the the lettering is on in the wrong direction and size and we should consider doing it right next time it needs painting. I informed them that it was requested to be done that way in order for us to acquire it. It sits on a 10 ft by 10 ft pad that the Army made us put 10 feet deep. The booster is also filled with concrete, one 5 gallon pail at a time. ... you would appreciate the Red Tape and the Hoops we had to jump through, quite amazing. We are trying to put together a display in our Historical Society Office regarding the missile and the site. We have lots of articles and photos. Some badges and pins and even the tip of the missile ...
Old 07-29-2018, 12:53 PM
Level 3

Boyce had them listed as 1/14th scale. Booster uses Loc 29mm tubes and the sustainer is BT-70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernomatic
I scanned through the records and there was a .dwg file for the decals. Next step, what scale is needed? The paper space view shows a Custom Scale of 0.0152 (approx 1:66) is this correct?

It takes me a little longer to get a set printed up because the decals I do are screen printed. Right now I am also waiting on some equipment that's supposed to be arriving by Monday.

I'm also not sure if I have a screen with a fine enough mesh to get all the detail of the hatches.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:21 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcp

Here is a dump of my photos taken at SF-88 during visits in 2010 and 2012.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1r...pi7AnYbnGW75DuZ

Help yourself to any or all of them. I'll leave them accessible for two weeks or so.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:31 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Thanks, got'em all.