Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > RockSim Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2009, 11:52 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default Latest RockSim Update

RockSim has just been updated to 9.0.4 Build 78. The following is a list of what Tim and Paul indicate was fixed:
  • Windows: Changed the timing for the rocksim startup code. RockSim was still crashing on some machines when double clicking on a rocksim design file. Rocksim now completes it initialization prior to opening the design file.
  • Changed the RockSim to (.rkt) file association code on Windows. The file association registry entries are now written to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. This was done to get around some Windows Vista security issues. In a nutshell this means that non-administrator users will have the correct associations created when RockSim starts.
  • Cleaned up the rocket component CSV data export code. Nose cones, Transitions, and Fin Sets will export their data into CSV files. To enable this feature Open the application preferences dialog, select the Miscellaneous Tab, and Turn on Enable template export. When you edit a Nose Cone, Transition, or Fin Set an Export Template button will be displayed on the bottom of the component editor window.
  • Fixed a printing bug that was preventing users from printing more than one page at a time.
  • Upgraded to Nokia Qt 4.5.0. This was done to improve performance and fix some known issues.
  • Updated the on-line help display interface to conform to Qt 4.5.0 requirements. This fixed some issues with the default page displaying on some systems.
  • Combined RockSim and EngEdit help content.
  • Fixed a bug in rocksimc (Console Interface). The PACE API was reporting a false error. This was causing rocksimc to exit without processing any files. Owners of SMARTSIM, this will get you back up and running.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 03-26-2009, 08:48 PM
frustrated aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
RockSim has just been updated to 9.0.4 Build 78. The following is a list of what Tim and Paul indicate was fixed:
  • Fixed a printing bug that was preventing users from printing more than one page at a time.

Hmmm...in RS 7, I could print a pdf file w/ a printer set to CutePDF. With RS 9 and the multi-page bug, this would crash. Now it creates a bunch of separate files--the drawing, the parts, the templates, etc. With Acrobat I could combine all these files into a single document, but I wish the old print system was back!!!

Also during the data import when I open RS after the update, "Yes to All" behaves just like "Yes" in that I had to hit it repeatedly for all the data imports
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 03-26-2009, 10:21 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketguy101
Also during the data import when I open RS after the update, "Yes to All" behaves just like "Yes" in that I had to hit it repeatedly for all the data imports

The "Yes to All" function hasn't worked properly for me yet in RS9 so that isn't a "new" issue, at least for me. Before I install an upgrade I pull my .csv data files out of the existing folder. After I install, I copy them back into the folder overwriting the files the new install created. No merge is necessary at that point and all my data stays exactly as it was prior to the version update. That's my workaround.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 03-27-2009, 12:50 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
  • Windows: Changed the timing for the rocksim startup code. RockSim was still crashing on some machines when double clicking on a rocksim design file. Rocksim now completes it initialization prior to opening the design file.
  • Changed the RockSim to (.rkt) file association code on Windows. The file association registry entries are now written to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. This was done to get around some Windows Vista security issues. In a nutshell this means that non-administrator users will have the correct associations created when RockSim starts...

At least this part of the update seems to work on my Vista machine. It now completes the launch of the program before trying to open the RKT file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
...Before I install an upgrade I pull my .csv data files out of the existing folder. After I install, I copy them back into the folder overwriting the files the new install created.

When the upgrade offers me the option of a "full" download, I take it and create a new folder to install it into. That leaves the old installation as-is. Then I can rename all of the stock CSV files, and transfer my operational files into the DATA folder from the old installation. That way, if anything goes wrong with the upgrade, the old version is still there to work with.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 03-27-2009, 01:24 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
At least this part of the update seems to work on my Vista machine. It now completes the launch of the program before trying to open the RKT file.

When the upgrade offers me the option of a "full" download, I take it and create a new folder to install it into. That leaves the old installation as-is. Then I can rename all of the stock CSV files, and transfer my operational files into the DATA folder from the old installation. That way, if anything goes wrong with the upgrade, the old version is still there to work with.

I always take the full download option and save the previous full download in case I have to revert back to it. I should probably take up your practice and install into a new folder should something get corrupted so I wouldn't have to uninstall and then reinstall the previous version.

So far I've been lucky
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates

Last edited by snaquin : 03-27-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:55 PM
frustrated aero

Default Re-run simulations give different results?

I just noticed a weird behavior w/ RS9 (latest version), I opened up an old sim, and selected "Rerun all simulations" to refresh the results. One of the engine combos looked way out of line, so I reran that particular sim, and the numbers came back in line (I was watching the deployment velocity). Out of curiousity, I kept clicking "Rerun all" and the values keep changing.

I deleted all the existing sims and started over. Even with a single set of results, "re-running" will give different values!

Is RS using a random number generator to start the sims?
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 03-30-2009, 12:50 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketguy101
I just noticed a weird behavior w/ RS9 (latest version), I opened up an old sim, and selected "Rerun all simulations" to refresh the results. One of the engine combos looked way out of line, so I reran that particular sim, and the numbers came back in line (I was watching the deployment velocity). Out of curiousity, I kept clicking "Rerun all" and the values keep changing.

I deleted all the existing sims and started over. Even with a single set of results, "re-running" will give different values!

Is RS using a random number generator to start the sims?

Probably several. Check the flight conditions dialog, and you'll see things like temperature, wind, humidity, etc...

Each flight of a real model is different, no two being exactly alike. RockSim tries to simulate real-world conditions, so each simulation run has changes in those environmental parameters that mimic what you might find at your local field. In fact, you can go in and make some direct changes to this section that very closely match the typical pattern of your local field. I don't usually change anything here, being lazy, but the option is there to really fine-tune the simulation for your local patch of sky.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 03-30-2009, 11:28 AM
frustrated aero

Quote:
Probably several. Check the flight conditions dialog, and you'll see things like temperature, wind, humidity, etc...

Each flight of a real model is different, no two being exactly alike. RockSim tries to simulate real-world conditions, so each simulation run has changes in those environmental parameters that mimic what you might find at your local field. In fact, you can go in and make some direct changes to this section that very closely match the typical pattern of your local field. I don't usually change anything here, being lazy, but the option is there to really fine-tune the simulation for your local patch of sky.

Thanks Craig, that makes sense now that you explained it. I guess I haven't read my manuals close enough It is still a little unsettling to see those numbers jump around!
Get yer Barrowmans here