Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 02:42 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Bill, thanks for *your* Current Rocketry Events!

Although I'm especially sad and sorry about the USS America.

Gotta second that on the USS America. I was looking forward to the C11, D12, E9 flight progression .....

I remember looking over the USS America kit at the hobby store when I was a kid. Never picked it up because I was always intimidated by the way it looked like it would be difficult to build and finish.

Bills looked so nice with the decals he made .... shame to damage it like that on it's first flight

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates

Last edited by snaquin : 04-05-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:56 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Is this from the same lineup as the Lil Nuke? If so, how do they compare size-wise? It looks to be smaller, but there's not a lot in that pic that gives a sense of perspective.

The Nuke ProMaxx is a 2" dia. longer version of the Lil' Nuke.

I called Barry at LOC/Precision when he first released it to ask him about it. He told me it was designed with the 38mm mount because the Cesaroni Pro38 was very popular in Canada at the time and he designed the model around the Pro38 line of motors. Barry said they were flying it in Canada for a while before he released it as a kit.

It's like a stretched Lil' Nuke with TTW fins to a 38mm motor mount and a long payload section. I used a G40 with a 29mm adapter for the flight in the picture and it got pretty good altitude.

Reminds me some of the old Laser/Loc 2.1 as far as appearance and size only with a 38mm mount and the standard plastic nose cone. It's a really cool kit and easy build.

http://shop.locprecision.com/produc...3&categoryId=12

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 04-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Steve,

Your AeroDart looks GREAT!

Very clean, nice finish.

How did you make the white/orange bands/markings?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:02 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Steve,

Your AeroDart looks GREAT!

Very clean, nice finish.

How did you make the white/orange bands/markings?

Thanks Bob.

Gordon with Excelsior made them for me. I gave him the LT-175 SLS tube diameter and a link to the Ninfinger catalog image and he took the ball and ran with it by eyeballing the catalog image to estimate the length of the wrap. The large decals are a single body wrap decal with clear between the bars to show the paint color on the airframe underneath, with a sort of orange on white for the decal itself. They came out really nice. The white EnerJet log he supplied really pops on the black background. I think I bought two sets of these and was very satisfied with them.

A quick check this morning bu I don't see these decals on the Excelsior site but I'm sure Gordon has the pattern saved if you asked him for a set.

That AeroDart was a quickie build but I'm really satisfied with the way it came out. I used adhesive label paper to cover the fin surfaces and it made for a quick build & finish and the basswood Semroc uses for the fins for as large as they are really don't flex much. I built it while I had a little time off work to get it out of the build pile since I had more than one of the AeroDart kits.

It's a solid flyer.

SAM# 0052