Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2015, 09:50 PM
BP Mafia

Default TRF thread of interest - huge collection of old rocket plans

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showth...-Worth-anything

I know TRF isn't the favorite hangout of a lot of the YORF crowd, but I think this may be of interest. Apparently there is a massive collection of plans from 1961 to present that was left to a club. A deal had been struck to purchase the collection to allow it all to be scanned and preserved, but the deal fell through. They're looking for somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500 and someone posted with the suggestion that they start a Kickstarter program to see about raising the money. I'd throw in for that. Anyone else who might be interested may want to check out the thread. It explains it better than I could.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 03-13-2015, 11:03 AM
7/21/61

Bill,

It's always fun to dream, but this "treasure trove" reminds me of Giraldo Rivera's build up to opening Al Capone's safe.

We already have two incredible sites with an amazingly extensive collection of old rocket plans so it's a little hard to believe that there is anything of value in the TRF collection that isn't already online in Ye Olde Rocket Plans or JimZ .

In reviewing all the photos and descriptions on TRF I haven't seen a single item that isn't already online or, in the case of the Semroc stuff, prohibited from being posted online. Most of the posters on the TRF thread seem totally unaware of what is already available to all of us, free of charge, courtesy of two great friends of model rocketry. Ye Olde Rocket Plans collection is immense, and far more extensive than anything even hinted at in the TRF post. Same for JimZ's site. I'd be way more interested if the TRF collection if the owner would post the names of a few items in the collection not currently posted online.

Pricing the collection at $2500 because the club needs to buy stuff that costs that much is an interesting approach but not very realistic. If this set came up at auction on eBay, I don't think it would top $250. As for these original physical copies of what is already online, the NAR group that owns the collection should donate it to the Museum of Flight whose mission it is to preserve such original physical materials.

Steve
Old 03-13-2015, 11:48 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Totally agree with the post above by Steve.
There is very little in the way of MR plans I'd be interested in that is not already published here or on the JimZ site.
Also agree that this would be lucky to get $250 on ebay.
Only a total FOOL would pay $2500. One would be better off donating $2500 to the club instead.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-13-2015, 12:04 PM
BP Mafia

Yeah, the more I thought about it last night, the less it sounded like a good idea. I was really afraid something unique was going to be lost more than anything, but we're probably ahead of the game as you both mentioned. Carry on.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 03-13-2015, 04:33 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

The original TRF thread you're looking at here is from March 2014.............that's a year old!

I guess I don't understand why this is being discussed here now???
Old 03-13-2015, 05:14 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
The original TRF thread you're looking at here is from March 2014.............that's a year old!

I guess I don't understand why this is being discussed here now???

Maybe because he came back on yesterday and mentioned that whatever deal had been worked out had fallen through.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 03-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Maybe because he came back on yesterday and mentioned that whatever deal had been worked out had fallen through.

Oh, I see............

Can you ask him to send me an email? I would be interested if we could work out a price.

Joe