Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2008, 05:50 PM
BP Mafia

Default 4-20 Quark launch

I've never understood the hesher fascination with 4-20, so I went out for an abbreviated afternoon of flying. The first two hours were spent helping out with a Girl Scout launch in a steady drizzle. (My hands will smell like baby powder all night.) Nice bunch of kids. All groups should be as easy as this one was.
My first flight of the day was a new Der Red Max that I didn't manage to fly two weeks ago. The C6-5 flight was as expected, but still cool, and recovered fairly close to the pad due to a light breeze.

Everyone should build one of these. It might be the only "bring back" of the 50th anniversary year.
And it's cool.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 04-20-2008, 05:55 PM
BP Mafia

Second flight of the day was the Dr. Zooch Titan IIIC that I thought I finished last night. Oops. I missed two pieces that I painted yesterday. Two tanks, one on each side of the rocket. Luckily the rocket flew fine without them. First flight, (not wanting to be a "squirming hatch blower") was on a B6-4.

A perfect flight, followed immediately by another on a C6-5, which was also perfect. I got to watch the second flight because I got my launch shot on the first one.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 04-20-2008, 06:00 PM
BP Mafia

Next up was the Centuri Screaming Eagle that I picked up from Ebay last year. It needed some work, but overall it looked great for a 25-30 year old kit. I flew a Screaming Eagle at my first ever Quark launch back in 2001, so it's been a while between flights.

Great flight and recovery on a B6-4. (I planned a C6-5 for later, but the launch was cut short due to weather.)

Notice the chute. (I went all out on this flight. )

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 04-20-2008, 06:09 PM
BP Mafia

Next up was the Sunward Gravity Rider. I'd seen Chan fly one of these a couple of years back, (the flight photos on his review were taken by me,) and I knew then that if I ever built one, it would be a cluster. Well, I did, and it was.

Not painted yet, but it needs decal help anyway. This was a 2xC6-5 flight. It flew, but barely stayed stable, corkscrewing the whole flight. Some thought that only one of the C6-5s lit, but the photo showed that both lit. I'll give it another try with some nose weight.

I panicked a little when I first thought that only one engine lit because I only had one chute in the two tubes. Man, was I glad to see that chute. Next time will also be with two chutes.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 04-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I've never understood the hesher fascination with 4-20...
Yeah...I was thinking the launch shoulda been called the 4-20 Friendly Quark launch

Doug

[Edit] BTW, good report.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Everyone should build one of these. It might be the only "bring back" of the 50th anniversary year.
And it's cool.

DRM has always been one of my favorites. At our little get together last week, tbzep had a BT-80 upscale and there were 3 others present too.

Quote:
I've never understood the hesher fascination with 4-20

It was always 2:38 in high school.
Was once SAM#0132