Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2010, 04:33 PM
BP Mafia

Default Final launch report, VOA, March 6, 2010

I've tried to figure out a way to write this that doesn't sound as negative as I feel at the moment, but I don't think it's possible. Chan and I met at VOA today for a casual launch of the same sort we've done many times in the past. Not sure how many flights Chan made, but I got one in before security arrived and told us that what we were doing was illegal. VOA is no more as far as rocketry is concerned.
Could be worse, I guess. I still have B6-4 Field, but a lot of what I've built is D and E powered. Not sure where I'll be able to fly them at this point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  img327.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  443.4 KB  

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 03-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I've tried to figure out a way to write this that doesn't sound as negative as I feel at the moment, but I don't think it's possible. Chan and I met at VOA today for a casual launch of the same sort we've done many times in the past. Not sure how many flights Chan made, but I got one in before security arrived and told us that what we were doing was illegal. VOA is no more as far as rocketry is concerned.
Could be worse, I guess. I still have B6-4 Field, but a lot of what I've built is D and E powered. Not sure where I'll be able to fly them at this point.

I'd look up that violation number and find out exactly what the ordinance says that you were supposedly breaking. If it's some new ordinance, find out who on the city or county council voted for it, then vote them out of office the next election cycle. If it's an old ordinance, it may not really pertain to what you were doing and the Ranger may have been twisting stuff to his benefit.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-06-2010, 06:41 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I'd look up that violation number and find out exactly what the ordinance says that you were supposedly breaking. If it's some new ordinance, find out who on the city or county council voted for it, then vote them out of office the next election cycle. If it's an old ordinance, it may not really pertain to what you were doing and the Ranger may have been twisting stuff to his benefit.

It's an Ohio field and I live in Kentucky, but I suspect that Chan might be checking into it. He didn't seem too eager to give up on such a prime flying field.
I think they might have been more pissed about the snowbank we drove around which was supposedly there to close that part of the park down. There was no sign or anything. I just thought that was the way they plowed it.

I miss being SAM 0058

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Old 03-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I apologize in advance for asking a possibly silly question, but does VOA stand for "Voice Of America" (the U.S. Government's international broadcasting organization [see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_Of_America ])? In other words, is (or was) that field their antenna array field? If so, I think they could help you *and* would be willing to do so, for the following reasons:

VOA has suffered from budget cuts for many years; since the end of the Cold War they have been struggling to justify their continued existence, and they have been working to re-define their mission. Model rocket launches (including contests) in their antenna array field (even if it is a formerly-used one of theirs) would be just the kind of "feel-good," human interest stories that they would like to broadcast to their overseas listeners and cover on their web site. You could approach their management and discuss how both parties could help each other.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 03-06-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:31 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Definately FIGHT THIS.

I have been victim in the past of similar bogus harrasment, and we lost the fight once ( wish I knew what I knew now ) .

other time an officer shut us down for flying on a school athletic field, with a PAID TEACHER present, as an official SCHOOL ACTIVITY.
and the teacher closed up instead of fighting with him - seems a bus driver from a visiting school calleld the cops about us flying there. instead of minding thier own business.

we did of course fly there for many more years, until his retirement ( the teachers, not the officers :P ) . and I have flown there a few times up to a couple years back .

keep the torches lit !

~ AL
Old 03-07-2010, 06:47 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I apologize in advance for asking a possibly silly question, but does VOA stand for "Voice Of America" (the U.S. Government's international broadcasting organization [see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_Of_America ])? In other words, is (or was) that field their antenna array field? If so, I think they could help you *and* would be willing to do so, for the following reasons:

VOA has suffered from budget cuts for many years; since the end of the Cold War they have been struggling to justify their continued existence, and they have been working to re-define their mission. Model rocket launches (including contests) in their antenna array field (even if it is a formerly-used one of theirs) would be just the kind of "feel-good," human interest stories that they would like to broadcast to their overseas listeners and cover on their web site. You could approach their management and discuss how both parties could help each other.

It is an old VOA facility, but it was turned over to the city and county sometime in the last ten years. According to Chan, they're interested in turning a large chunk of it into a nature preserve. Several years ago I was walking out in the veggies to recover a rocket and I almost stepped on a guy who was camo'd up and stalking a bird. He got up and stomped off, cussing at me as he went. He had to have been there a long time because we'd be flying for hours and never saw him come in. Apparently that's the kind of people they want in the park. Chan had some pretty interesting stories about his attempt to get them to let us host another NARAM there, but I'll leave that to him to tell if he wants.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 03-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Several years ago I was walking out in the veggies to recover a rocket and I almost stepped on a guy who was camo'd up and stalking a bird. He got up and stomped off, cussing at me as he went. He had to have been there a long time because we'd be flying for hours and never saw him come in.

I'd have asked him what kind of bird he was stalking. After he replied I'd have said something like, "Oh ya, them's good eatin'!"
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-07-2010, 08:20 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I'd have asked him what kind of bird he was stalking. After he replied I'd have said something like, "Oh ya, them's good eatin'!"

Well, I don't have a smart mouth like you.
Actually, I was so shocked when he stood up, I didn't say much. I must have been shocked because I really hate it when people walk away muttering curse words at me. I'd normally have had a thing or two to say about that, but I think my mouth had come unhinged.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 03-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:

Well, Bill, you could always tag along with Chan next time he comes over to Indiana for a Launch Crue sport launch (or contest for that matter). Our field is large enough to fly up to I and J motors and we usually have a waver in place for most sport and contest launches. Our next sport launch is this coming Sunday (14th) and we have a regional contest the last weekend of the month. We'd love to have you come out and fly with us!

Greg
Old 03-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Rocket buildin' machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
Well, Bill, you could always tag along with Chan next time he comes over to Indiana for a Launch Crue sport launch (or contest for that matter). Our field is large enough to fly up to I and J motors and we usually have a waver in place for most sport and contest launches. Our next sport launch is this coming Sunday (14th) and we have a regional contest the last weekend of the month. We'd love to have you come out and fly with us!

Greg

I seem to remember that nice field in Indiana having a not-so-friendly neighbor who puts a completely different spin on the phrase "shooting rockets".