Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2016, 01:57 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Default Estes K Kits, When Was the Last ?

We all think 1974 was the last year K Kits were produced by Estes. Yet, in my decades of research, and if you look in the 1973 Catalog, you will see many K Kits that were offered as their Last year. Such are the K's : 10 Cobra, 13 Falcon, 15 Sprite, 16 Delta, 21Gemini Titan, 31 Starblazer 34 Nighthawk, 40 Midget to name the most. Yet, I have had, and I know you have seen, All of these kits in a Blue, Green, etc. Skill Level package. In talking to many at Estes, it's still my contention that 1972 was the end of the K Kit era. 1970-1972 were the years of Change at Estes. Also they were the 2-3 years of the double oval hang tag. Many Kit and Catalog preparations were already in the process. So Many items made from that work was just put to use to keep down costs and use up all things already produced. Yes, the 73-74 Catalogs list most kits as K's, but you were likely to Get it as a Skill , or 1200# kit. Look at the Maxi Brutes in the 74 catalog. They are issued the new 1200 numbers, while the older are still as K's. Plus the mini brutes were 0800's too. Plus, why would they advertise the Cold Power kits on the inside of kit panels the year they dropped them ?
Yes, there are Many variables here, and my friend Eric, at vintageestesrockets.com, whom I have helped some in his quest to catalog these kits,,, I say-- maybe Both K and 1200# kits were produced during these years. I call them "The overlapping years", where many leftover parts went on to be used for some time until all was exhausted. I only know there Were the 1200 Skill Level kits then, too. The proof, again, is in the skill level kits, as mentioned earlier, in those years. Just my thoughts, based on research and experience. Danny. PS. If any wish to dispute this, I guess this is really something we'll never know for absolute sure. What I say is not etched in stone, nor do I claim any other wrong. But the proof is in the early skill kits from that time.

Last edited by dannymrmissile : 07-13-2016 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Wording