Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2014, 04:57 PM
BP Mafia

Default Sky blue pink

When I was a kid, like 6 or 7, we had a lawnmower death in the family. Big purchases like lawnmowers impressed me, and I was pretty charged up about the new addition to the family. Dad was talking about it at dinner the night before we were supposed to pick it up, and I asked him what color it was. (Everyone knew that was a crucial factor in cutting performance.) Dad said it would be "Sky blue pink".
I spent that night imagining what sky blue pink might look like, and the next day Mom, Grandma, Dave, Jennie and I loaded into the car and headed up into the wilds of northern Cincinnati to pick the sky blue pink mower up. The previous day had been beautiful. Sky blue pink day wasn't. It was raining like a cow pissin' on a flat rock for much of the day, and the defroster in the '65 Chevy wasn't up to clearing the exhaust from two adults and three children, all of them tense and/or crying. Dave and Jen were wailing, and I tried to hold out as long as possible. Mom was lost, and finally I couldn't take it anymore. "I wish my Daddy was here!" I wailed. "So do I!" Mom wailed right back.
Well, we finally found our way back to Kentucky. No interstate ran through Campbell County back then, so we got off in downtown Cincinnati and crossed the river into Newport. This was familiar territory, and everyone calmed down. Then we got to the spot on 11 Street where we were supposed to make the turn to go through the underpass on US 27 and found the police diverting traffic because the underpass was flooded. No big deal. We headed up Memorial Parkway into Ft. Thomas, then worked our way to Highland Avenue, which led back to US 27. We lived on Blossom Lane back then, which was right off of US 27 about a mile and a half from Highland Avenue. (And two miles from B6-4 Field.) Easy as pie. Normally.
We turned onto US 27 and almost immediately came to a dead stop. Just before Moock Road a semi had jackknifed. A sky blue Valiant had its roof and the driver's head taken off. The police were diverting traffic down Moock Road. At this point I think the trauma of the day shut down my brain. I don't remember anything until the next day when Dad unboxed the sky blue pink mower. Then what I remember was how much sky blue pink looked like regular old red.
Yesterday I bought a new mower. As I cut the tape and opened the box, I laughed and said "Sky blue pink," to myself before lifting the red mower out of the box and starting construction.
Dad passed away this morning. He'd been in poor health for five + years with complications of diabetes and dementia. I told this story to Mom, Dave and Jen when we gathered at the nursing home. None of them remembered it at first, but Mom and Dave remembered certain bits after a while, especially me wailing "I wish my Dad was here!"
I still wish he was here.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 04-17-2014, 05:43 PM
Old Submariner

It takes a lot to bring tears to my eyes, but your wonderful story and reflection has done it.

My deepest sympathies on the loss of your father. I have faith he'll walk the streets of glory with sound mind and body.

Be brave and strong.

Jeff

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 04-17-2014, 06:26 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
When I was a kid, like 6 or 7, we had a lawnmower death in the family. Big purchases like lawnmowers impressed me, and I was pretty charged up about the new addition to the family. Dad was talking about it at dinner the night before we were supposed to pick it up, and I asked him what color it was. (Everyone knew that was a crucial factor in cutting performance.) Dad said it would be "Sky blue pink".
I spent that night imagining what sky blue pink might look like, and the next day Mom, Grandma, Dave, Jennie and I loaded into the car and headed up into the wilds of northern Cincinnati to pick the sky blue pink mower up. The previous day had been beautiful. Sky blue pink day wasn't. It was raining like a cow pissin' on a flat rock for much of the day, and the defroster in the '65 Chevy wasn't up to clearing the exhaust from two adults and three children, all of them tense and/or crying. Dave and Jen were wailing, and I tried to hold out as long as possible. Mom was lost, and finally I couldn't take it anymore. "I wish my Daddy was here!" I wailed. "So do I!" Mom wailed right back.
Well, we finally found our way back to Kentucky. No interstate ran through Campbell County back then, so we got off in downtown Cincinnati and crossed the river into Newport. This was familiar territory, and everyone calmed down. Then we got to the spot on 11 Street where we were supposed to make the turn to go through the underpass on US 27 and found the police diverting traffic because the underpass was flooded. No big deal. We headed up Memorial Parkway into Ft. Thomas, then worked our way to Highland Avenue, which led back to US 27. We lived on Blossom Lane back then, which was right off of US 27 about a mile and a half from Highland Avenue. (And two miles from B6-4 Field.) Easy as pie. Normally.
We turned onto US 27 and almost immediately came to a dead stop. Just before Moock Road a semi had jackknifed. A sky blue Valiant had its roof and the driver's head taken off. The police were diverting traffic down Moock Road. At this point I think the trauma of the day shut down my brain. I don't remember anything until the next day when Dad unboxed the sky blue pink mower. Then what I remember was how much sky blue pink looked like regular old red.
Yesterday I bought a new mower. As I cut the tape and opened the box, I laughed and said "Sky blue pink," to myself before lifting the red mower out of the box and starting construction.
Dad passed away this morning. He'd been in poor health for five + years with complications of diabetes and dementia. I told this story to Mom, Dave and Jen when we gathered at the nursing home. None of them remembered it at first, but Mom and Dave remembered certain bits after a while, especially me wailing "I wish my Dad was here!"
I still wish he was here.

Thanks for that, Bill.

S.
SAM #0031
Old 04-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
It takes a lot to bring tears to my eyes, but your wonderful story and reflection has done it.

My deepest sympathies on the loss of your father. I have faith he'll walk the streets of glory with sound mind and body.

Be brave and strong.

+1
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 04-17-2014, 07:16 PM
Pickin' and launching.

Nice story Bill. Sorry for your loss. Many of us have been there already. For me, almost 17 years ago I lost my Dad and I still think of him and remember stories of him, as will you of your father.
NAR #28062, ROCI Section #625
http://www.newwayspacemodels.com
http://www.indyrockets.org
NewWay Space Models-We Cornered Model Rocketry
Old 04-17-2014, 07:19 PM
Master Modeler

Great story. So sorry to hear of your loss. Cherish those memories.
Was once SAM#0132
Old 04-17-2014, 07:37 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Bill,
My condolences on the loss of your Father. It is never easy even when you know it is inevitable.
When my brother Brian called from Columbus in October 1998 to tell me that our Dad, I told Cindy that we had lost a good man. It is always best when you can recount the good times and be able to laugh and smile about favorite stories.

Chas
Old 04-17-2014, 07:38 PM
Master Modeler

Father's are a funny thing. You don't see many athlete's shouting "Hi Dad". A lot of the time when they are around we take them for granted and when they aren't a part of our life we don't seem to miss them.

They yell and they grumble and they embarrass. Yet the silent love they give us is only matched by the love given by the greatest father of all.

Let your sadness and memories flow and be heartened in the belief and knowledge that he is doing what all good father's wish they could do...

Resting In Peace.

God Bless

Bernie

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.

Last edited by bernomatic : 04-17-2014 at 07:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-18-2014, 04:49 AM
Master Modeler

My condolences Bill. Great story. I lost my mother 15 years ago this July to cancer.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:47 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Default Sorry

Memories, such as you shared, will live forever in your hearts, thus you dad always is near. Thanks for sharing, Fish. My deepest condolences to you and your family.