Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2007, 12:14 AM
Master Modeler

Default Outlander May Be Going OOP

Don't know if any noticed in one of my post in TRF, but at the Maker Faire in Austin, TX
several Saturdays ago, I was told by one of the Estes representative that the Outlander
kit is being discontinued. Thought I'd give you all the "heads up" before it becomes another
OOP product.....
Old 11-01-2007, 08:49 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
...I was told by one of the Estes representative that the Outlander
kit is being discontinued. Thought I'd give you all the "heads up" before it becomes another
OOP product.....

Wouldn't be surprising. It's lasted at least two years longer than I thought it would.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Master Modeler

It's that time of year for dropping kits and introducing new ones. There were supposed to be three kits per month coming out, that certainly didn't happen.

The Estes representative was Anne Grimm, Director of Edeucation, she use to live in Dallas.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
It's that time of year for dropping kits and introducing new ones. There were supposed to be three kits per month coming out, that certainly didn't happen.

The Estes representative was Anne Grimm, Director of Edeucation, she use to live in Dallas.

Actually, it was John Boren who told me....
Old 11-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Wouldn't be surprising. It's lasted at least two years longer than I thought it would.

Roy,

Just me, but the Outlander is very undesirable. I only bought one when people were converting them to Mars Landers. Now that Semroc has the Mars Lander, I just see no use for my Outlander... not even to build or to use parts from it for other rockets.

Robert
Old 11-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Dazed and Confused

I built one and flew it to Mars. I bought all of mine for the same reason as Robert. Semroc came out with their ML before I ever started on one also. I had to do something with them so I decided on a mission to Mars.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:54 PM
German Model Rocket Builder

Thumbs up

Now thats nice

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 11-01-2007, 03:36 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
Roy,
Now that Semroc has the Mars Lander, I just see no use for my Outlander... not even to build or to use parts from it for other rockets.

Robert

I'm with you there. We had a few show up at launches a couple of years ago, but after their sub-optimal flights (admittedly helped by the current trend toward over-building) they never showed up again.

Still, though I know of three Semroc ML's in our club, I've seen none of them fly. One person has said he's afraid to fly his in any kind of wind.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Still, though I know of three Semroc ML's in our club, I've seen none of them fly. One person has said he's afraid to fly his in any kind of wind.

That would be me, based on my initial launch! The first flight was okay, but the second was in a light breeze and sent the thing into figure eights and a rather hard impact with the ground. I've repaired the damage and am hoping for another go this week.

ON TOPIC: I never liked the Outlander. It just struck me as a cheap knockoff of the ML. I'm wondering just how much of a collectible it will be viewed as.....
Old 11-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Ritchie
That would be me, based on my initial launch! The first flight was okay, but the second was in a light breeze and sent the thing into figure eights and a rather hard impact with the ground. I've repaired the damage and am hoping for another go this week.

ON TOPIC: I never liked the Outlander. It just struck me as a cheap knockoff of the ML. I'm wondering just how much of a collectible it will be viewed as.....

Well...since I picked up a few of them waaaayyyyyy below retail.......