Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Master Modeler

If you want to see some great MMI articles and photos, get your hands on some vintage American Modeler or American Aircraft Modeler magazines for 1959 - 1970.

Great articles and AD's, you can pick them up on ebay under back issues, or, just put in the buy column, American Modeler or ?American Aircraft Modeler , the list will come up.

Watch out for the prices, alot of the seller want a fortune for single issues, while other seller have complete years.

Happy hunting.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
In a "build" article from Jan 1960 on the MMI Arcon , it states "In the original kit, a plastic "COLLAR" (My emphasis) is cemented inside the rocket body, against which the solid-propellant engine is fitted". On the 1st firing, the motor ejected instead of the nose cone being fired free. Checking with the manufacturer we (were instructed) to slip a rubber band around the motor and it then stayed in the rocket body and fired off the nose cone so the parachute came free and lowered the unti to the earth. Rubber bands are now used instead of the plastic collar. "

The way I interpret the above was that they used a simple plastic colarr or ring to friction fit the motors into. This obviously is not a real good solution, so they used a simple rubber band to provide a even better friction fit. I guess they had not invented the use of masking tape yet.
terry dean
nar 16158

If he put a few wraps of a rubber band around the motor, and then friction-fitted it into (or forced it through) the plastic collar, he could have had some, or maybe even all, of the rubber band coils acting as a "retro thrust" ring (similar to a conventional thrust ring, but situated on the other side of the mount). The rubber would be compressed as it was forced through the ring, and then would rebound once it got through, so that it would form itself into a (sort of) reverse thrust collar. (Masking tape wouldn't rebound like that if it was forced through the plastic ring.) Possible???

Mark
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 03-21-2008, 04:38 PM
rocket dinosaur

Red face

Theres a circa 1963 G. H Stine designed Astron Mark over on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-60s-Est...tem120234661702

terry dean
nar 16158
Old 04-18-2008, 10:55 AM
rocket dinosaur

Red face

SO...is any progress being made on making clone copies of the Mark II nose cone?

terry dean
nar 16158
Old 04-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Ted Mahler

It has gone nowhere. I have in the past made a mold of the "nose cone" and made copies. I need to make hollow nose cones because the castings I make are heavy. I've recently had two brain operations and am currently undergoing 6 weeks of radiation. I had a brain tumor that was taken out in the operations. Right now 90-95% of the tumor has been removed. Radiation should get the rest. I am sorry I have not answered all the questions. I thought I would be more active by this time. Interacting in the groups is about all I can muster. Waiting for Vern to get back to me on the Camroc. I can type a bunch with little effort!

Ted Mahler
Old 04-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Craftsman

For what its worth, here is a photo of the Mark II from the museum of flight at Boeing field just south of Seattle.

The 2nd photo is of the rock a chute launcher.

Hope this can be of any use.

Tedster,

I hope your recovery is going well. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Mark II.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  89.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Launcher.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  91.2 KB  
Old 04-22-2008, 05:59 PM
rocket dinosaur

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedster
It has gone nowhere. I have in the past made a mold of the "nose cone" and made copies. I need to make hollow nose cones because the castings I make are heavy. I've recently had two brain operations and am currently undergoing 6 weeks of radiation. I had a brain tumor that was taken out in the operations. Right now 90-95% of the tumor has been removed. Radiation should get the rest. I am sorry I have not answered all the questions. I thought I would be more active by this time. Interacting in the groups is about all I can muster. Waiting for Vern to get back to me on the Camroc. I can type a bunch with little effort!

Ted Mahler

thansk Ted I was just wondering. Don't worry about it. just get well.

terry dean
nar 16158
Old 05-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

I have a Mark II, and as you can see from JimZ there are only 2 differences I can see from the Mark and the Mark II. Both have streamers but the Mark II brakes apart at the coupler instead of at the nose cone, and the Mark II was the first rocket to come with Decals. As for the Body tubes all three rockets the Scout and the 2 Mark’s were all BT-30 tubes., as will as the K-3 Space Plane and the K-14 Sprite. As for the nose cones on the Mark and Mark II they were both BNC-30E.

http://www.dars.org/jimz/k-02.htm

http://www.dars.org/jimz/k_02.htm
Old 05-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

If you wish to clone any of the BT- 30 rockets Semroc has the nose cones and Body tubes, and the BT-20 body Tube can be used for a coupler. As for the Decals on the Mark II, I’m positive that Excelsior Rocketry can make them up in no time for their real simple black decals.

http://www.semroc.com/Store/Products/NoseCones.asp

http://www.semroc.com/Store/Products/BodyTubes.asp

http://towrowrow.tripod.com/excelsiorrocketry/
Old 05-08-2008, 09:43 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arley Davis
I have a Mark II, and as you can see from JimZ there are only 2 differences I can see from the Mark and the Mark II. Both have streamers but the Mark II brakes apart at the coupler instead of at the nose cone, and the Mark II was the first rocket to come with Decals. As for the Body tubes all three rockets the Scout and the 2 Mark’s were all BT-30 tubes., as will as the K-3 Space Plane and the K-14 Sprite. As for the nose cones on the Mark and Mark II they were both BNC-30E.

http://www.dars.org/jimz/k-02.htm

http://www.dars.org/jimz/k_02.htm

Hi Arley,

With the exception of Terry's post, we're not talking about the Estes Mark and Mark II. We're talking about Orville Carlisle's original model rockets from 1954 and 1957. The Rock-A-Chute Mark I which looked like a skyrocket on stilts, and the Rock-A-Chute Mark II, which looked more like modern model rockets, but had really big fins and a blunt nose cone that was made from a popular plastic crayon sharpener of the time (a replica of the Mark II is available from Semroc).