Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 10:35 PM
BP Mafia

Default Flying K birds (No, I'm not leaving)

Anyone out there ever fly all of the Estes K kits, K-1 through K-59? (At least the flyable ones.) I did some checking recently and have flown but a paltry 16, but with an additional 11 just waiting for B6-4 Field to surface for the 2013 flying season.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 01-15-2013, 12:55 AM
Master Modeler

I'm tied with you....unless you count each variant of the Farside separately. That includes rockets I flew as a kid and ones I've built and flown (including clones) since being BAR'd. I have one more ready for finish (Semroc Repro Shrike) and several others (in generally in Semroc Retro Repro kit form) in the huge and growing kit stash.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 01-15-2013 at 01:04 AM. Reason: found one more K kit I'd had
Old 01-15-2013, 01:33 AM
BP Mafia

I'd count both Farsides. And Marks.
I guess we have to give bonus points for anyone that's flown a Phantom.
I've flown the Scout, Mark II, Spaceman, Cobra, Big Bertha, Alpha, Honest John, Avenger, Beta, Shrike, Cherokee D, Interceptor, Goblin, A-20 Demon, SPEV, Constellation and X-Ray. That's 17 if you're counting. I forgot the X-Ray on my first go 'round. (The ball bearing flight.) The Ranger, Farside X, Drifter, Sprite, V-2, Gyroc, Midget, Orbital Transport, Sandhawk, Stinger and Alpha III ready for the new season.
The Honest John, Shrike and X-Ray are all legit K kits. The Sandhawk and V-2 are EBay refugees. The V-2 was just a hulk when I got it, built with the balsa grain oriented incorrectly. The nose cone is a Semroc replacement.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 01-15-2013, 08:51 AM
Master Modeler

I better get busy because I plan to build (or clone) and fly them all.

... but I will pass on the flying Phantom.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Paper Rocketeer

Hmm... Off the top of my head, the K kits I flew back during my first go-round (I first flew in high school in '73 and '74) would have been the Alpha, WAC Corporal, V2, Skyhook, Mark II, and Trident. As a BAR, I've added a couple clones including the Ranger and Sprint. I've built an X-Ray and a couple others, but haven't flown them yet.

What about the TK series? Of those, I'd add in the Birdie, Mini Bomarc and Mosquito.

I got a lot of rockets to build and fly! ;p
Old 01-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Not so Junior

12. Which is more than I thought I'd get since I didn't know all the K kits by heart. That and I only started flying rockets the first time around 1983.

kj
Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I flew a Phantom ONCE. The ejection charge badly warped and distorted the main tube.
It was not aerodynamically sound for a 2nd flight, but it DID fly.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Anyone out there ever fly all of the Estes K kits, K-1 through K-59? (At least the flyable ones.) I did some checking recently and have flown but a paltry 16, but with an additional 11 just waiting for B6-4 Field to surface for the 2013 flying season.
Here's my modest list. Doug .

TK-1____Mosquito____recent vintage kit
TK-40___Midget______clone

K-1_____Scout_______original kit
K-2_____Mark________original kit
K-5_____Apogee 2____clone
K-6_____Ranger______sort of...
K-8_____Sky Hook____original kit
K12-X___Farside-X___clone
K-15____Sprite______original kit
K-16____Delta_______clone, still to be flown
K-23____Big Bertha__original kit
K-25____Alpha_______original kit
K-40____Midget______original + many clones
K-47____Cherokee-D__clone
K-49____Sprint______clone
K-52____Omega_______clone
K-56____Alpha III___recent vintage kit

YORF member #11

Last edited by Doug Sams : 01-15-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 PM
aka Baron von Rohde

I've made it to 14, but with none waiting in the wings, I guess that's as close as I will get for now.
SAM 0114
NARtrek Silver

2015 motors - 1469 n/s (200 flights)
2016 motors - 1238 n/s (175 flights)
2017 motors - 1/2A-4, A-26, B-52, C-47, D-6, E-7, F-3 = 1238 n/s (138 flights)
2018 motors - 1128 n/s (104 flights)
2019 motors - 2241 n/s (189 flights)
2020 motors(thru 7/25/20) - 1/8A-1, 1/2A-3, A-14, B-23, C-27, D-11, E-6, F-2 = 876 n/s (81 flights)
Old 01-15-2013, 10:58 PM
Master Modeler

Bill,

I found two more I'd done (or didn't originally realize were K-kits).

Here's my list:

K-1 Scout - have built three recent ones from the Semroc Golden Scout kit. All have been flown at least once and one now has Vern Estes' signature on it. That one is on a high shelf now.

K-4 Streak - this was one of my first, if not my first model rocket (I don't recall exactly). Lost long ago....

K-5 Apogee II - I also had one of these in my first rocket period (1968-1973 or so). Whereabouts unknown.

K-6 Ranger - I build a clone from a combination of Semroc and BMS and Estes parts about a year and a half ago. Great flyer on Quest A6-4s. Has only been flown once on Cs. Wow! In one of my regular flyer boxes.

K-10 Cobra - my first cluster rocket. I still remember all that glue-soaked tissue. Whereabouts unknown.

K-12 Farside - I cloned this one last year using Semroc parts for a Classic Model competition. Available for flight.

K-12X Farside-X - I build one of these in my first rocket period as well. I remember flying it on 1/4A and 1/2A motors mostly. On 1/4As the first staging happens right off the rod. Whereabouts unknown.

K-15 Sprite - I had one of these in my first rocket period. Whereabouts of that one is unknown. I have since cloned it from Semroc parts and then built one of their recent Retro-Repro kits. Adapted 13mm motors blow out almost every time. Two are available for flight.

K-18 X-Ray - I cloned one of these some months ago and use it as my entry in the Altimeter/Payload event I'm going to propose as a provisional competition event after we fly it a few more times.

K-21 Gemini-Titan - I built one of these - by far my most ambitious build - in my first rocketry period. I do believe it did get flown but I'm not sure. Whereabouts unknown.

K-24 Gyroc - I had one of these (gotten free with an order) in my first rocket period. This one actually went on a vacation with us and I remember flying it from somewhere near Furnace Creek in Death Valley. One of my first BAR rockets was a Gyroc from a BMS clone kit. This one has been more problematical. I will have to do another, though the BMS Gyroc is flyable.

K-25 Alpha - I built one of these in my first rocketry period - it was painted with brushed-on fluorescent orange Aero Gloss dope. Whereabouts of that one unknown. I have built several Alphas since and have two (one from a recent kit with plastic nose cone) and one cloned from Semroc parts - all balsa - available for flight at the moment. Also have a Semroc Start available.

K-31 Star Blazer - I built one of these also in my first rocketry period (another free kit with a $5 order) and it was flown at least once. That one is on the shelf not far from the signed Golden Scout. I also cloned one from Semroc parts (but with a 13mm motor mount). That one is available for flight.

K-33 Trident - I built one of these from the Semroc xKit and it flew once (the ejection charge blew apart the lower motor-mount section as well as deploying the 'chute on its first flight). I built a second from the Semroc Retro-Repro with the much larger laser-cut gas passages. It works well and is currently on display over my desk at work.

K-35 Constellation - I built one of these in my first rocketry period and it was one of the few rockets (along with the Star Blazer) my parents sent me after college. It had been flown several times in my early BAR days but the upper half (and a How High altimeter) floated away from the parish playfield after the ancient shock cord failed. I have built and flown several times a Semroc Retro Repro and have a couple more kits in hand as well as one of Sandman's K-56-based upscales. One my favorite rockets.

K-44 Biride - I built one of these from the MRN plan (for Series III motors) and I still have that one. I also have a mini-motor clone (I guess that would be a TK-44 clone) from a recent kit.

K-48 Bandit - I have one of these from the Semroc Retro Repro. Pretty rocket and is a nice flyer. Love the baffle system.

K-55 Goblin - I had one of these built but not finished from my first rocketry period. It got finished the spring before last and has a couple of flights on it. I also have a Semroc Retro-Repro in flying condition.

K-56 Alpha III - I have two of these in flying condition (from recent kits). I also have an Alpha IV from a vintage kit and two vintage red/white Alpha III kits in hand....one of which I intend to build in the not-too-distant future.

-----------------------------------------------

K-46 Shrike - Semroc Retro-Repro not yet finished.

K-kit variants in hand include Semroc's interpretation of the 1/70 Saturn 1B, Mars Lander, Orbital Transport and Midget. I also have the recent Estes 1/100 Saturn V which will get built eventually.....

Whew!
AMA 42160
KG7AIE