Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2007, 11:16 AM
Ye Olde Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
james:
no arguemnet intended here either. I guess I'm, just way old school or a strict constructionist when it comes to defining what a modle rocket is or isn't. It doesn't mean I'm any more correct than anybody else. In fact, i betcha if you asked 100 rocketeers what a model rocket was you would get 100 answers. Its all good. :-)

Yep. No arguments from me on that. The hobby as we know it definitely started with Carlisle/Stine/Estes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
My Ealry Model Rocketry History Timeline is located here:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=427

Notice I have not updated it online since 2006: it has been updated offline, but for various reasons, I haven't posted it yet.

hth

terry dean
NAR 16158

Thanks for the file. Looking at the entries, I know you wanted to stay in the early '60s, but it seems that there were some key "space race" launches that figured heavily into the success of the hobby. I know you listed Sputnik, but certainly the moon landing was a highlight. Interest in model rocketry probably started to wane a little shortly after that.
James
Old 04-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I was wondering if anyone could post the plans for the original "mark 1" (MK-1) (or at least some dimetions.
The Nerd

Last edited by total rocket nerd : 04-25-2008 at 07:13 AM. Reason: more info wanted
Old 04-25-2008, 05:19 AM
The Rocketry Blog

Leo - Where is the indication of the date on this rocket?

I found an obscure reference in the German model magazine Flug and Modell Technik that may indicate that this model is from the 1960's. Is there any date reference other than the name "RAK 52" or "RAK 53"?
I will continue to investigate.
Print a new rocket today.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessgravity
Leo - Where is the indication of the date on this rocket?

I found an obscure reference in the German model magazine Flug and Modell Technik that may indicate that this model is from the 1960's. Is there any date reference other than the name "RAK 52" or "RAK 53"?
I will continue to investigate.

Terry,

The Rak 52 is from the mid 1960s. It was a "modernization" of the old rubber band launched rockets that Europe had during this time. There is an Italian company (the name escapes me, watch me remember right after I hit the send button) that still makes rubber band launched rockets; well stopped back in the 1990s. A couple of them were the Thor and Atlas (they would adopt American space vehicle names for marketing).

The Rak 52 was made in West Germany or at least that is where I have seen them before. They are uncommon - rare; probably because the Jetex/Estes solution, made far better sense, was cheaper and easier to setup and operate. The Rak 52 was NOT the first model rocket or toy "propellant device" on the market. Although to be technical, the American Rocket Society back in the 1930s did have a Sugar + KNO3 rocket that was available to interested buyers, but that doesn't fit the definition of a 'cartridge loaded" reusable rocket as we are familiar with in todays' Estes rockets.

Ah, just remember the Italian company: Quercetti

Here is a site that features one of their rockets named the Mach-X

http://www3.sympatico.ca/norvega/ma...HX-ENGLISH.html

I used to play with water, vinegar+soda, rubber band and current rockets, and I found the rubber band launched rockets to be the most fun for their ease of operation, the low costs of operation, and the performance. I could get 300+ feet on a launch and some of the rubber powered rockets became quite sophisticated in their 'pre-programming' of altitude and chute deployment. The link above shows how you could program the rocket to pop the chute at a certain altitude.

I liken these rubber rockets with the freon Vashon kits in that they were very remarkable rockets that never received their due respect.

Robert

Last edited by lurker01 : 04-25-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

In my opinion rockets have been around for hundreds of years in China and they were used in the Civil War, the think is are thay Model Rockets, of course not. Because they are not Models, a model is something that has to be constructed by the purchaser.

Incase some of you did not know you can get many of the older Estes and Centuri kits from the JimZ web site, here is the web site and the Scout instructions.

http://www.dars.org/jimz/rp00.htm

http://www.dars.org/jimz/k-01.htm

Do not forget to click on the Image at the bottom to get information on the rocket.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01

Ah, just remember the Italian company: Quercetti

Here is a site that features one of their rockets named the Mach-X

http://www3.sympatico.ca/norvega/ma...HX-ENGLISH.html

I used to play with water, vinegar+soda, rubber band and current rockets, and I found the rubber band launched rockets to be the most fun for their ease of operation, the low costs of operation, and the performance. I could get 300+ feet on a launch and some of the rubber powered rockets became quite sophisticated in their 'pre-programming' of altitude and chute deployment. The link above shows how you could program the rocket to pop the chute at a certain altitude.

Proto-Flics???

Quote:
I liken these rubber rockets with the freon Vashon kits in that they were very remarkable rockets that never received their due respect.

Robert

Well, perhaps, but didn't it also became illegal to knowingly and intentionally vent Freon or other gaseous CFCs into the atmosphere? (And yes, I know that cold-power rockets used very little Freon...)

Mark
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011