Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2015, 12:28 PM
Master Modeler

Hi Jerry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Umm . . . .

http://v-serv.com/usr/fx.htm

Having re-read this thread now, there was also the Saturn V flown at the 1969? Superbowl. That was on TV. There are several helicopter mounted rockets we made which used FSI or Estes motors not ours. Mostly with the Helipilot Clay. Not on the USR website. Yet . . . .

Looked over the links on your website, and while I see a lot about you helping with/providing motors for various movies (I especially liked the "Running Man" stuff), I didn't see anything about rockets, which is the focus of my talk.

Are there any movies/TV shows which feature USR rockets or something you have scratch built (e.g., which shows used the helicopter rockets mentioned above)?

My apologies in advance if I missed something.
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 05-05-2015, 02:31 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Bill, not on TV but in another movie.

There was a small article in an RC mag years ago when the movie "The Right Stuff" came out.

The movie company needed a B-29 to use for the Bell X-1 flights.

At the time there was only one operational B-29 flying and the owner said "No way" to the movie company cutting a hole in the bottom of his plane to mount an X-1.

One of the crew said that he had a RC version they could use.

So somebody had to build a Bell X-1 and as it turned out it was the right size for an 18mm motor.

A "C" only has about a 2 sec burn and that wasn't enough so they cut two more "C" engines and epoxied them together to get about a 6 sec burn.

Just enough for the filming.

Sorry guys but this was over 30 years ago. I may have a bunch of details wrong.

I do remember that it took 2 guys to fly the B-29 and one to fly the X-1, all hanging out the door of a chase helicopter. No digital RC stuff back then.

So, not a rocket but a rocket plane and 3 "modified" rocket motors.

So the next time you watch the movie check out the exhaust on the X-1.

Everybody here know what an 18mm motor's exhaust looks like. Look for it.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 05-05-2015, 03:17 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Here's another one, Bill. Just posted on Facebook by Squirrel Works Model Rocketry:

https://youtu.be/dG6ReEhHFYw

"Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze" from 1975. At the end of this clip, a metallic Estes Goblin is launched to catch a fish!
Old 05-05-2015, 08:48 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
Hi Jerry!
Looked over the links on your website, and while I see a lot about you helping with/providing motors for various movies (I especially liked the "Running Man" stuff), I didn't see anything about rockets, which is the focus of my talk.
Are there any movies/TV shows which feature USR rockets or something you have scratch built (e.g., which shows used the helicopter rockets mentioned above)?
I guess I don't understand the question. I posted as many details as possible about the motors and rockets used in actual FX deals. If I missed a description or spec I can add as a result of a question, I am all in.

My mention of the helicopter rockets are not on my website if that is the question. There are also four movies I don't list because they either were never released or didn't produce trailers. I also don't see them in IMDB.

Robot Jox for example, was released but went through four different owners/titles/production companies before it was released via DVD.

Jerry
Old 05-27-2015, 02:06 PM
Certified Rocket Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Here's another one, Bill. Just posted on Facebook by Squirrel Works Model Rocketry:

https://youtu.be/dG6ReEhHFYw

"Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze" from 1975. At the end of this clip, a metallic Estes Goblin is launched to catch a fish!

OMG that is cheesy!
Old 05-27-2015, 02:55 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
Hi Jerry!

Red Dawn among others. Those white rockets kinda like a Bullpup with no boat tail have been in several movies, mostly on helicopters. I actually don't even recall most of them because they were B-C grade movies, but keep an eye out and I will try to confirm or deny any sightings. Some probably have funny stories once I remember who was involved.

My best story is actually Jim Brown the football star. He had rockets attached to him for live fire. That guy has ba11$ of steel.

But, yes, I see your point about them not being "rockets". I tend to do the sorts of stunts FX guys cannot do on their own. In commercials there have been lots of "rockets".

Jerry