Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 10:55 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
The last time I looked at the bulk packs was at the store in Kansas at the NARCON a couple of years ago. I'd swear they were 1/2 A6-2s. But I have slept since then.

Bill

Might have been. It was more common in stores back then.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 08-25-2013, 09:51 PM
BP Mafia

Cleaning up for a party today and was getting around to putting all the birds from last Sunday away. Looks like William's charge over the box was more damaging than I had first thought. Several rockets in the box might never fly again, including the ReneGoon and the Estes Solar Probe. One of the ReneGoon fins is snapped in the middle and the broken off section is in several pieces. The Solar Probe fin has also been not only broken off, but broken in several pieces. Note to self, rockets should be about ten feet away from the pad for future launches where kids may be over-excited. Might need to reiterate the "no running" ground rules, too.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 08-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Master Modeler

I've had more than one rocket crushed by an overly excited kid.

A couple of summers ago I had a launch ready in the back of the Jeep and when my son and nephew got it. Not thinking they tossed the two basketballs that were on the floor in the middle seats into the back ... a couple of those never flew again.

One time at the park I had a kid go after one one his bike. It came back with the tube crushed because he couldn't steer the bike and hold the rocket at the same time.

It happens. All you can to is smile and ask them to be more careful
Old 08-26-2013, 09:45 AM
When Pigs Fly!

Kids think they are helping by running and picking up your models for you. I know they are just excited.
I've had to call out from a distance: "Let me pick that one up! I have to check for any damage."
Models brought back by kids have had broken details and even kung-fu gripped and crushed body tubes.

I've gotten into the habit of checking models when I recover them.
Sometimes small pieces get broken off, even a small fin broken at the root edge might go unnoticed until I get back to my car. Just try to find that part again after leaving the landing area.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Cleaning up for a party today and was getting around to putting all the birds from last Sunday away. Looks like William's charge over the box was more damaging than I had first thought. Several rockets in the box might never fly again, including the ReneGoon and the Estes Solar Probe. One of the ReneGoon fins is snapped in the middle and the broken off section is in several pieces. The Solar Probe fin has also been not only broken off, but broken in several pieces. Note to self, rockets should be about ten feet away from the pad for future launches where kids may be over-excited. Might need to reiterate the "no running" ground rules, too.
You need to procure four machetes, show them to the wee urchins, and explain how sharp they are (perhaps accompanied by a little demonstration with an old doll). Then install them in the corners of the box (tying them in place with steel picture-hanging wire threaded through holes in the box should work), with their blades pointed upward. (You can keep canvas sheaths on the blades when the box isn't on the ground in B6-4 field.) Then just smile indulgently and say cheerily: "Run all you want. This is a common sense test, if you care to take it." When I saw the 1968 film "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang," I rooted for Baron Bomburst's Child Catcher...
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 08-26-2013, 08:58 PM
Master Blaster

This used to happen to me. I had kids pick up my rocket and run with it to get another rocket
and then run with both of them smashing them together. I had them returned with the nose cone missing, or the chute ripped off, people thought I was an Ogre because I didn't want the kids to bring back my rockets. simple fix we are an NAR club and have to follow NAR rules. NO Running on the field, no one past the flight line when the Pad is hot, no non NAR personal on the field. we still have several kids that are members but now they behave.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Master Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
You need to procure four machetes, show them to the wee urchins, and explain how sharp they are (perhaps accompanied by a little demonstration with an old doll). Then install them in the corners of the box (tying them in place with steel picture-hanging wire threaded through holes in the box should work), with their blades pointed upward. (You can keep canvas sheaths on the blades when the box isn't on the ground in B6-4 field.) Then just smile indulgently and say cheerily: "Run all you want. This is a common sense test, if you care to take it." When I saw the 1968 film "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang," I rooted for Baron Bomburst's Child Catcher...

And for those of you that think Jason and I dis-like Kid's. that's not true, We just conspired to send rocket kits, launch pads , launch controllers and launch supplies to a school in Alaska at our time and expense. This school was out in the sticks and I don't believe that these Kid's would of had exposure to Model Rocketry any other way
Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Miller
And for those of you that think Jason and I dis-like Kid's. that's not true, We just conspired to send rocket kits, launch pads , launch controllers and launch supplies to a school in Alaska at our time and expense. This school was out in the sticks and I don't believe that these Kid's would of had exposure to Model Rocketry any other way

Nah, believe me, I understand completely. The Semroc Astron is another one that's pretty much junk now, so I'm going to have to go back to the "no running after rockets" rule before any launching gets started. Love the enthusiasm, and I understand that sometimes rockets get broken, but I sure prefer that it happens because of a rough landing that I can blame on myself rather than an over-excited 9 year old stampeding my range box.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 08-27-2013, 09:03 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Miller
Thank you. I don't even have a problem with kids running on a flying field, as long as it's done where appropriate. When my father took us kids flying at that age, running at the rocket preparation and launch area (at and near his 1965 Chevy Suburban, as he used the 12 volt Estes FS-5 launch controller with an Estes Tilt-A-Pad) was absolutely VERBOTEN, with infractions being punishable by "corporal means" (once was all it took!). Also:

Running up to landed rockets was forbidden as well, *but* running out to their general locations (-after- we had walked out beyond the launch pad) in order to get there faster (or to catch parachute-lowered models in mid-air) was okay--but we had to walk back once we had recovered rockets in hand. It was a wise arrangement, as it kept us from tripping over the launch controller wires, impaling ourselves on the launch rod, or accidentally crushing landed rockets, while still giving us an outlet to safely burn off excited & nervous energy. It also taught us patience.
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 08-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Nah, believe me, I understand completely. The Semroc Astron is another one that's pretty much junk now, so I'm going to have to go back to the "no running after rockets" rule before any launching gets started. Love the enthusiasm, and I understand that sometimes rockets get broken, but I sure prefer that it happens because of a rough landing that I can blame on myself rather than an over-excited 9 year old stampeding my range box.
Agreed! A model rocket that ends its career while doing what it's designed to do is a model to be remembered fondly, while one that meets its end in such an ignominious way--particularly if it *never* got to fly--is to be lamented. I feel similarly about full-scale rockets; if an unmanned satellite launch vehicle, sounding rocket, or missile *has* to fail, it might as well "go out in a blaze of glory" with a spectacular--if expensive--fireworks display, rather than fail in a more benign way far downrange and out of sight.
NAR #54895 SR