Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Craftsman

Thanks RD for setting this up. I may have to fire a question before I leave from work and check on the thread when I get home.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPilot
This will be great! Thanks for setting this up, am greatly looking forward to it and hearing the latest.

Do the rules of engagement apply to Barry as well?

ROE, hahaha. Don't fire until fired upon.

I hated that rule!

In this case, be civil.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:26 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

RD and Scott, thanks for setting this up.

And thanks to Barry for agreeing to do this.

Now, let's see how it works out.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 03-26-2009, 11:37 AM
7/21/61

Ken,

Outstanding work to get Barry to come and chat. I saw Scott's note that the chat will be done in a regular thread and I'm wondering if maybe you might want to ammend that. My impression is that as soon as you open the thread there will be 20 posts of questions and Barry will be lucky to even get done reading through those in the two hours.

As an alternative, may I suggest you use a format similar to what Larry King used to use on his old radio program. For the 1st hour Larry would interview the guest by himself, then the second and third hours were opened to questions from the public.

If you use a similar format, you could use the next few days to solicit questions from everybody, you could pick the few that you think best represent what you think most would want to hear Barry chat about, and have him do those first, then open it to general questions. I think that might be a more productive approach.

Just a thought. And thanks again for your usual good work.

Steve
Old 03-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Craftsman

As always, my motto when it comes to Estes is: "I'll believe it when I see it." The man isn't exactly known for his honesty. He often seems to say that he or Estes representatives will be somewhere, and turn into no shows. (e.g. NARAM)
Old 03-26-2009, 12:41 PM
rocket dinosaur

why do I get the sinking feeling this just might degenerate into a fiasco? I hope everybody chooses their words carefully and remember they are representing their rocketry community when they start asking questions.

terry dean
Old 03-26-2009, 12:52 PM
German Model Rocket Builder

Outch, that's midnight to 2 AM for me, which is a no go

Looking forward to reading the thread in the morning though

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 03-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
Outch, that's midnight to 2 AM for me, which is a no go

Looking forward to reading the thread in the morning though

Leo - I don't have anything specific I planned on asking so if you've got a question you want answered post it here in this thread or send it to me via PM and I'll ask it for you during the session.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:59 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Ken,

Outstanding work to get Barry to come and chat. I saw Scott's note that the chat will be done in a regular thread and I'm wondering if maybe you might want to ammend that. My impression is that as soon as you open the thread there will be 20 posts of questions and Barry will be lucky to even get done reading through those in the two hours.

As an alternative, may I suggest you use a format similar to what Larry King used to use on his old radio program. For the 1st hour Larry would interview the guest by himself, then the second and third hours were opened to questions from the public.

If you use a similar format, you could use the next few days to solicit questions from everybody, you could pick the few that you think best represent what you think most would want to hear Barry chat about, and have him do those first, then open it to general questions. I think that might be a more productive approach.

Just a thought. And thanks again for your usual good work.

Steve

That is similar to the way Slashdot does Q&A with very popular or potentially controversial subjects. I.e. accept ten or twenty questions, edit for duplications or problems, then submit those to Barry to answer on his own time. There can be a second such session for specific follow ups. Of course, that takes the "live-ness" from it But at the same time Barry can give well thought out answers instead of being forced to give rushed off-the-cuff answers.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks for the input on the type of Q & A session.

Barry has agreed to a one time, two hour LIVE Q & A session.

I would ask that a quwstion be posted, then a reply and we do that until the entire two hours has gone by.

And, once again, I have asked both sides to be civil to each other , show respect and be rocketeers.

Both sides are representing the hobby, but on a different level, both consumers and manufacturer..

Moderators will be standing by, so, be on your best behavior.

Check your time zone, as mentioned previously, it will begin at 4pm Colorado time and end at 6pm, it will not go over.

for their positive comments.

And, once again I thank everyone