Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2018, 07:00 PM
Master Modeler

Default Liquer question

Hello All,

This may seem to be a strange question to ask here (although some rockets have/do run on ethyl alcohol... :-) ), but:

With Irish Cream, what is the best way to store the bottle after opening it, to keep the liquer fresh as long as possible? (I bought it for medicinal purposes--having an ounce or so each morning, to serve as a muscle relaxant--after my physical therapist noted how tight my neck muscles were.) What happened--actually, what *didn't* happen--when I called the product's manufacturer to ask them about that is an unusual story, which I thought might interest some of you, so I have related it below:

A week and a half ago, I bought a bottle of Baileys Irish Cream liquer (I didn't realize until I got home that it was my first-ever purchase of an alcoholic beverage, although I have--on very rare occasions--had wine, rum & Coke, and vodka & cranberry juice at various get-togethers where they were served). Reading the label, I noticed that it didn't include instructions on how to store the bottle after it is opened (bottles of wine have to be stored in certain ways [even in a certain orientation, I think] after opening, in order to prevent the wine from oxidizing prematurely), so:

I called Baileys at the toll-free telephone number printed on the label, to ask them how their Irish Cream should be stored after the bottle is opened. I had a "channeling GH" moment when they insisted that I first give them all sorts of personal information, which they said was required by law (but which was still none of their business--the mere fact that I was able to *buy* the bottle should have been ample evidence that I am at or beyond the age of majority). If 52 isn't old enough (and I certainly sound my age), I must be Peter Pan! :-) I told them, "I just want to ask a question, not give my life story," and when I was told I *had* to provide all of the information, I just said "Never mind," and hung up. (While I love my country, our culture has long been--although it wasn't always this way--very childish regarding drinking [I saw the stark difference via foreign exchange students from Europe].)
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 10-30-2018, 07:08 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I use Bailey's as creamer for my coffee on all weekends...no joke.
It will last over a year if stored just on any old shelf.
Refrigerated it will last over two years.
I keep mine room temperature on my bar shelf.
At one shot/day it won't even be around 1 month.
Store wherever most convenient.

Is the "green leaf" legal up in Alaska where you are ? That is a much more effective muscle relaxant than any 37 proof liqueur ever would be.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-30-2018, 07:37 PM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Yeah, the alcohol acts as a nice preservative. Just store on a shelf.

I do actually enjoy drinking it cold, though, so sometimes will keep it in the fridge.

Great stuff, wouldn't mind a sip right now...
Old 10-30-2018, 08:04 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I use Bailey's as creamer for my coffee on all weekends...no joke.
It will last over a year if stored just on any old shelf.
Refrigerated it will last over two years.
I keep mine room temperature on my bar shelf.
At one shot/day it won't even be around 1 month.
Store wherever most convenient.

Is the "green leaf" legal up in Alaska where you are ? That is a much more effective muscle relaxant than any 37 proof liqueur ever would be.
Good--thank you for that information about storing it. I'm astonished (that you happen to use Baileys, as there are numerous brands of Irish Cream available), but not surprised that you use Irish Cream as coffee creamer; it's great for that. I dislike the taste of most alcoholic beverages, but Irish Cream is one of the few exceptions, and:

In Larry Niven's science fiction short story "The Fourth Profession" (it's included in the solar sails-themed science fiction, poetry, and factual articles anthology book "Project Solar Sail": http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...+Sail&kn=&isbn= ), which is set in a bar, and gives quite a bit of 'inside information' about how bars are run, mentions Irish Coffee (a rather involved-to-make but profitable drink), which also sounds very tasty! Also:

At its price ($19 and change for a 750 milliliter bottle [the higher cost-per-milliliter of alcoholic beverages has also deterred me, as iced tea and orange juice are much cheaper]), having it last a month (or a bit less) before being all consumed would be okay to me. (I'm not sure if a ~1-ounce "dose" each day would be sufficient, but taking it on an empty stomach should increase its effectiveness as a muscle relaxant, since it wouldn't be diluted by food or another drink.) Regarding "happy hemp" here in Alaska:

It ^is^ legal for both medicinal and recreational use here (there's even a pot shop that I can see from my bedroom window; we have several in Fairbanks), but I couldn't use it without undertaking a great risk. I'm on 15 mg ER (Extended Release) morphine pills, one taken every 12 hours (for joint and deep bone pain; it's not effective for soft tissue or muscle pain, at least not in that form and at that dosage [*injected* morphine is, but it's scary stuff]). At my pain clinic, we're given random urine tests (they long predated our legalization of pot), and we've been warned that if they detect evidence of cannabis--or of *any* recreational drug--in our samples, our morphine will be cut off (my pain clinic doctor told me that she personally has no problem with us also using cannabis, but they have to hew to the federal drug laws).
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 10-30-2018, 08:23 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_w
Yeah, the alcohol acts as a nice preservative. Just store on a shelf.

I do actually enjoy drinking it cold, though, so sometimes will keep it in the fridge.

Great stuff, wouldn't mind a sip right now...
Indeed--up to a point, it's self-preserving. Its taste and texture (rather thick)--especially when it's served cold--are also what attracted me to it! I've only had Irish Cream once before (a late friend of mine introduced me to Emmets Irish Cream [he said that it tastes just like Baileys]). Served cold, it's like a gourmet milkshake! My only fear is that because it tastes so good, it may be hard to limit myself to just one shot per day--but that's a ^good^ problem to have... :-)
NAR #54895 SR
Old 10-30-2018, 08:30 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Bailey's is pretty much the "gold standard" Irish cream liqueur; I'm a bit of a liquor connoisseur.
My idea of decent Scotch starts at about $80 per 750ml and goes WAY up from there....

Can your doc prescribe you Valium or Flexeril as a muscle relaxant ? Both are way better than an ounce of Bailey's.
Too bad about your situation with the "green leaf" vs. your pain clinic. That is far safer and more natural than most pharmaceuticals.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-30-2018, 09:04 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

In 1989 I drank a evening shot of Bailey's after work for much the same reason you gave. I just left it in the cabinet. Keeping it cool and dark is really the only requirement. A bottle would last me about a month and a half.

A couple visited me from Australia for a month, and when they left, they left me two larger bottles (at my rate, about a six month supply).

I met a woman shortly after that, and while she didn't move in with me, she eventually had a set of my keys. Because she kept me relaxed, I didn't need the Bailey's as much and used it only on the weekends.

However, about two months into the relationship, I noticed the supply of Bailey's was dwindling at an alarming rate. Plus the empty Bartles & Jaymes bottles and chardonnay bottles were gathering at an equal rate. I saw her drinking those. But never saw her drinking Bailey's.

I came home for lunch one day to find her hitting the Bailey's. It was almost as if I'd found her with some other guy. That was MY Bailey's!

We had a LONG discussion about her problem. We silently broke up while she was in rehab.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:26 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

GH you are absolutely wrong!

Bailey will not last a year.

I'd drink it way before the year was up.

Heck...if it's already open.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 10-31-2018, 03:13 AM
Craftsman

I'm personally surprised that a shot of Baileys is good for anything other than increasing the desire to have another.

We also just keep ours in the liquor cabinet, and I live in the tropics. We just pour it over ice if we want it chilled.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:42 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
In 1989 I drank a evening shot of Bailey's after work for much the same reason you gave. I just left it in the cabinet. Keeping it cool and dark is really the only requirement. A bottle would last me about a month and a half.

A couple visited me from Australia for a month, and when they left, they left me two larger bottles (at my rate, about a six month supply).

I met a woman shortly after that, and while she didn't move in with me, she eventually had a set of my keys. Because she kept me relaxed, I didn't need the Bailey's as much and used it only on the weekends.

However, about two months into the relationship, I noticed the supply of Bailey's was dwindling at an alarming rate. Plus the empty Bartles & Jaymes bottles and chardonnay bottles were gathering at an equal rate. I saw her drinking those. But never saw her drinking Bailey's.

I came home for lunch one day to find her hitting the Bailey's. It was almost as if I'd found her with some other guy. That was MY Bailey's!

We had a LONG discussion about her problem. We silently broke up while she was in rehab.
I'm glad to know that it keeps well, and that small "doses" apparently do help (I got it partly as an experiment--I'd rather not take another prescription medication [the morphine is troublesome enough], and this "medicine" actually tastes good!). Also:

Luckily, I've never had that sort of problem involving alcohol (to the female in question, two pints would have been a "shot glass's worth," which would have quickly driven me to destitution, and she might have preferred beer instead, since it's made with grain). Her taste in expensive candy (Ruger wafers, which of course was my fault for introducing her to--she would hold the edge of my back pocket in her teeth until I emptied them; two or three packages of them were her minimum) was costly enough...
NAR #54895 SR