Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > 3D Printing Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2020, 05:54 PM
Craftsman

I have made a few New nosecones to add to my Nosecone repository on thingiverse. You are now welcome to download and print for yourself Apollo BPC in 5 sizes BT 70,58,50,20,5 In addition if anyone wants 1 of the 3 extra prints I made BT 50,20,5 You are welcome to them for nothing more than the cost of shipping.

Download here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2876174
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  20200619_163340.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  62.5 KB  
Old 06-19-2020, 07:05 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_mills
I have made a few New nosecones to add to my Nosecone repository on thingiverse. You are now welcome to download and print for yourself Apollo BPC in 5 sizes BT 70,58,50,20,5 In addition if anyone wants 1 of the 3 extra prints I made BT 50,20,5 You are welcome to them for nothing more than the cost of shipping.

Download here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2876174

Impressive!

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-20-2020, 10:21 AM
Master Modeler

Thanks, scott_mills for the great nose cones you have done. I have printed some of your nose cones and rockets and they have come out nice-looking prints.

I have a question. Have you thought about designing a nice 1/200 scale Saturn LUT that could be paired to go with ESTES 1/200 Saturn V?

I don't think it would have to be super detailed but enough to give the Saturn a nice stand.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:11 PM
Craftsman

No i Have not thought of doing that because I actually built my bt80 saturns a little before that came out, so I had no real desire to dp anything for tat size. Good news is though there are a few already on thingiverse you might just have to scale them appropriately.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:00 AM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I'd like to get a 3D printer eventually. I'm not an early adopter. I joke that I'm waiting for one that has input hoppers that accept plastic soda bottles and aluminum cans.

I think a laser cutter will be the first hi-tech shop equipment I splurge on.

I know what you mean! I didn’t have a mobile phone until 2002.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 06-22-2020, 11:25 AM
Craftsman

And now for something a little more modern
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  20200622_102058.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  176.7 KB  
Old 06-22-2020, 11:34 AM
That 70's Rocketeer

Really great work on these capsules!

"You know, it, uh, won't fly unless somebody pushes the button." From the movie October Sky.

I am SAM # 0167
NAR 98303 Southwestern Ohio Rocketry Association (SORA) #624
https://www.rocketryohio.com
Old 06-22-2020, 09:33 PM
Craftsman

Default Never got any answers to this one----

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I worked for a prototyping shop a few years ago prior to retiring. I did a lot of work on CNC routers and a laser engraver. We had a big Epilog Laser that could accept stock up to about 36” in length, 24” in width. I used it to cut centering rings and fins from plywood and balsa. It would easily handle 1/4” material, but I mostly cut plywood up to 1/8” and balsa up to 3/32”. Before I left I cut all kinds of centering rings, both single motor and cluster, in sizes I used most. I’d love to find a small laser for home. Maybe it’s time to do some research into small systems. The big lasers are still very expensive.

Regarding material, they are very versatile. Cardboard or card stock is as easy as balsa or plywood. You just adjust the cutting power and speed. I even cut acrylic. The edges looked like they had been polished. Just amazing. I recall looking at the manual and seeing settings for materials you might not think about, like leather. Very versatile.

I think we have the makings of a small club for "I want a home laser cutter" but I still need some help picking out a machine.

I get more confused than I get educated when I try to read up online about hobby laser cutters. Surely someone out there can step in here and make a few recommendations.

Not trying to derail this thread (I'm reading along on this one too) but I think the subject of laser cutters fits closely in with 3D printers. I still want to find a small cutter for cardboard and balsa CRs. Anybody help?
Old 06-23-2020, 02:41 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by olDave
I think we have the makings of a small club for "I want a home laser cutter" but I still need some help picking out a machine.

I get more confused than I get educated when I try to read up online about hobby laser cutters. Surely someone out there can step in here and make a few recommendations.

Not trying to derail this thread (I'm reading along on this one too) but I think the subject of laser cutters fits closely in with 3D printers. I still want to find a small cutter for cardboard and balsa CRs. Anybody help?

Sorry that I can't add any new information to your question, but maybe it IS time to have a separate thread on this, maybe "Laser Cutting for Everyone" or something similar, so that folks that do have working knowledge of these can help the rest of us.

I too would like to learn more and maybe get a laser cutter one day. I think I'd probably do one of those before I did a 3D printer.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 06-23-2020, 09:47 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Sorry that I can't add any new information to your question, but maybe it IS time to have a separate thread on this, maybe "Laser Cutting for Everyone" or something similar, so that folks that do have working knowledge of these can help the rest of us.

I too would like to learn more and maybe get a laser cutter one day. I think I'd probably do one of those before I did a 3D printer.

Earl
I agree. A laser cutter has many model rocketry-relevant uses--cutting sheet balsa, sheet basswood, and 0.050" gauge Beveridge board (fiber or fibre) fins, strakes, gussets, centering rings, boost-glider mounting hooks, etc. They could also be used--for large and/or lightweight models, including scale models--for cutting internal frame parts, as well as outer skin panels, for building contoured, semi-monocoque fins (metal aircraft and sounding rocket fins frequently use this lightweight yet strong, frames-backed skin structural method). Also:

For creating smaller models or parts, a laser-guided, "3D cutter/chisel" (with interchangeable blades, depending on the desired use) would be very useful. For example, many kits called/call for sanding in a root-to-tip taper, and a symmetrical airfoil or faceted cross-section, into the fins (or an asymmetrical airfoil, for many boost-glider kits' wings). A 3D cutter/chisel could hold a sheet balsa (or sheet basswood) fin or wing "blank," which could be moved along the blade (*or* the blade could move, instead) in a series of shallow "passes," to give the blank the desired, programmed shape (the blade--or the blank, in its holder--could tilt as needed to create the desired shape), and:

Such a tool would be equally useful to model aviators and model boat & ship builders, including--but by no means limited to--F/F HLG (Free-Flight Hand-Launched Glider) and F/F catapult glider enthusiasts, and it could also make wing, tail assembly, and fuselage parts for larger, built-up models (R/C sailplanes, powered planes, and vessels, C/L and U/C [Control-Line and U-Control] powered planes, etc.), so there would be a sizable market for it. For model rocketeers and model aviators, the software could contain the airfoil ordinates files for many popular symmetrical (for fins and some wings), asymmetrical (for wings), single & double wedge, and circular arc (for scale-section fins and some supersonic & hypersonic wings) fin and wing cross-sections.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR