Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Banned

Default Farside-X in both 1:1 and x:1 upscale ... you know you want to look!

OK, every so often, I actually build, fly and post about rockets. Its a rare thing, but it does happen.

Well this posting is maybe 30% about me and 70% about my club member, Moe Bertrand who CD our SSS NAR meets.

This last Saturday, I flew a Farside-X in 1:1 scale and Moe captured some FANTASTIC photos!

I will post them at the end of this posting.

What I found out is that Moe did a much larger scale Farside-X and man is it AWESOME!!!

Here is the link to his wonderful page about his x:1 (sorry he didn't remember the exact number, maybe 2:1) scale Farside-X:

http://www.aeromoe.com/farside.html

Here are a few pics of me and the Farside-X, now which is sexier? Answer: The Farside-X of course DUH!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  FarsideX_b.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  519.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  FarsideX.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  266.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  FarsideX_a.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  255.3 KB  

Last edited by Cohetero-negro : 01-24-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
This last Saturday, I flew a Farside-X in 1:1 scale and Moe captured some FANTASTIC photos!
The staging shot is awesome. Nice finish, Jonathon. Was it a kit or clone? Where'd you get the decal?

Kudos to Moe on the pics.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 01-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Master Modeler

Nice catch of the booster separation!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:46 PM
BP Mafia

That's too cool, and the staging shot might be the best one I've ever seen. (Reminds me, I need to remember my telephoto lens next weekend.) I can't tell you how many times I thought about the Farside as a project. No idea why I never followed through.
I think the decal is available at Kurt's Decal Page. I'm sure Gordon could do it and probably already has.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 01-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Banned

The decals direct from our very own Sandman! Very nice work, and I go to him for all my decal needs.

I could buy an alps printer and do it myself ... but why not support Gordon and his business!

As to the clone or actual kit question:

Well I had purchased a 'line drawn' instructions (kit in just the Mylar bag, no header card) K-12X from Tim Joyce back in the late 1990's for $125. At the time, people were telling me I was crazy and I am. I recently (2011) saw a similar kit for for over $300.00! on ebay!

Moe came over to me on Saturday and asked, 'Tell me that is a clone and not an actual kit you opened?!'. I started to tell him it was an actual kit, but the grin gave me away and I told him the truth; its a clone'.

IMHO: the 12X is the best looking of all the 3-stage kits Estes offered. On the Centuri side, it would be the T-Bird.

As a kid I only had the Farside (1212) it didn't go as planned

Jonathan
Old 01-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
That's too cool, and the staging shot might be the best one I've ever seen. (Reminds me, I need to remember my telephoto lens next weekend.) I can't tell you how many times I thought about the Farside as a project. No idea why I never followed through.
I think the decal is available at Kurt's Decal Page. I'm sure Gordon could do it and probably already has.

Bill,

The all the staging occurred maybe 100' feet or less above the pad; I won't use the engines I used again because I had flight points taken off. You see the model BARELY cleared the rod, staged, and the the third stage lit maybe 75' feet up.

Moe was able to catch the second stage firing because the model was like 4 feet in the air! Moe was sitting on the ground

Yeah, I thought the image was so sweet I would share it. What I like is the 2nd stage plasma shooting down into the top of the first stage like a real missile/spacecraft launch. Anyone is free to use the image, just give Moe credit when you do!

Jonathan

P.s. Motors used: A8-0, A8-0, B6-4 ... the model was almost motionless when the 2nd stage fired!
Old 01-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Jonathan, nice one, really nice!

I'm surprised I don't see more Farside X models. I sell a ton of those decals and I even have some upscales.

I hate to admit I have a Farside X built but unpainted.

I really wish I had time to finish my stuff!

I made mine for a 24mm C11 or D12 but I do have some B14-0's stashed.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 01-23-2012, 10:25 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
I could buy an alps printer and do it myself ... but why not support Gordon and his business!

Yeah, that's how I feel. If I can do them on my inkjet, want them to be of iffy quality, and just want to be able to tell people that I did it all, decals included, I'm willing to go that way. No way I could justify the cash outlay for the Alps, buying new mental tires to handle the learning curve, and taking the chance of the ink not being made available anymore. I'd much rather go to Excelsior. Glad the option is out there.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 01-23-2012, 10:27 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
P.s. Motors used: A8-0, A8-0, B6-4 ... the model was almost motionless when the 2nd stage fired!

So, what you're saying is that I could fly a Farside at B6-4 Field on an A8-0, A8-0, A8-5 and still not overfly things. Sounds like a spring project to me!

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 01-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
(Reminds me, I need to remember my telephoto lens next weekend.)

You don't necessarily need a telephoto when flying down and dirty like the above flight. The focal length for the shot was only 75mm.

Other info, before people start asking.

camera: Canon EOS 60D
shutter: 1/3200
aperture: f/6.4
ISO: 320