Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 09:19 PM
When Pigs Fly!

Default Making Engine Hooks

I remember reading about making engine hooks from the metal strips in windshield wiper blades. In all my years of building, the few engine hooks I made were fashioned from wire or paper clips. I always used hooks from vendors. I did a search last night and pulled up this thread.

I have to admit, it felt strange reaching into the trash can at the auto supply store. But then again, I'll never see these people again. There were four open packages of used wiper blades, I grabbed them all.

When I got home I realized only two of the four blades were suitable for engine hooks. Next time I'll look to see that metal strip "peeking" out the side of the rubber blade.

I used flat pliers to make the 90 degree bends. I "cut" the flat metal by holding it in an end nipper and simply bending it back and forth. It really only took two bends either way to break it off. The ends were a little sharp, I dressed them with a metal file.

Simple and fairly fast. I now have 10 standard and 4 mini-engine hooks. It only took 30 minutes to bend, cut and dress them all. I saved 50 cents a pop (whoo-hoo!) and have a story to tell.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 03-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Master Modeler

I have a relative who used to be a manager at a Jiffy Lube. A year or two ago I asked him to save a bunch of used wiper blades and told him the reason behind it. Couple weeks later I had dozens of blade inserts. He even went through the trouble of stripping them down for me and giving me the bare metal. About half of them were too wide, stiff, or too heavy, but I got a enough good ones to make LOTS of motor hooks. I use a pair of Klein 2000 series side cutting pliers cut them to the right length. Cuts through 'em like butter.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Re-reading this thread, I see several people who mentioned modifying the "bottom" end of an Estes hook, then installing it upside down. Perhaps I'm missing something... I have several rockets where I installed the hook upside down without modifying it at all.

I just stripped down a wiper blade and got two perfectly-sized strips of metal; I made two hooks from it that look almost as good as factory, and I have lots left. Excellent tip!
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 03-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

I don't know which ones are new or old. But I like the clips with the finger tab for getting the old engine out. At least they work ok on 'C' size engines without messing up a launch...
Old 03-22-2009, 01:04 PM
rocket dinosaur

a few months back I asked if anybody knew when Estes changed over from the old to the new engine hook. Could some of you guys that have kits from the mid to late 80's and early 90's look at your kits and see if you can tell when they changed over.

I had a former manufacturer ask me to ask this question.

thanks in advance

terry dean
Old 03-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Rocket Junkie

I have an original Super Vega Kit, (vintage 1993) and it came with the old-style motor hook. I think they changed during this timeframe or soon after that.