Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Master Modeler

Going back to the Alpha, what do you guys think of the Semroc Start? It was an early design by Bill Simon and it certainly looks Alphaesque with a slightly bigger body tube. I could not find in the instructions of the Start when it was first introduced so could it have been the predecessor of the Alpha?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
I should also mention that Carl produces a laser cut set of fins now for the Orange Bullet.
Semroc also has the shoulderless nose cone for it. When I first saw the cone, I was perplexed by the lack of a shoulder. But after seeing the photo of your OB, it now makes sense to me.

That's quite a stunning build. What brand of "orange paint" did you use on it?
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 12-23-2011, 11:21 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Very interesting! Is that Alpha II kit from a recently-purchased new educator's pack, or an old one that you found on eBay or elsewhere? If it's the former, I suppose it's possible that the folks at Estes occasionally come across stashes of older kits (or maybe get returns from distributors for one reason or another) and toss them into newly-packaged educator's packs. Also:

Even if Alpha kits such as that one have the older-style two-ring motor mount (rather than the single-sleeve type that is standard today), that difference wouldn't cause a problem for a group of students, Scouts, or club members who were building all of the Alphas from the educator's pack at the same time because each kit (including that Alpha II kit) is self-contained, having its own instructions sheets.

My gosh-this kit has this part, that kit has this one-but mine has a brown one-oh, mine's black-I have a Alpha II with a long tube, but my Metric is..... Tha SPEV was a combo of a Little Joe II & Thor Agena B; the Firefly was just the fins of a Mini Bomarc.....even if it had a square of clay & the other didn't.... No, My Alpha II and Metric Alpha are fac. orig's. made back in tha day-original and they all have minor variations-be it in parts, print or .......well they weren't bought off ebay. C' Mon, Man...they're all variations of whats available at the time and whats goin on in tha minds of the marketers at estes. Ive got 3 of the same kits-each having a difference of some type in each pkg.-even from same time era. Whats the question here? , how can a 2 ring motor mount wreak such havock over one havin a single sleve......??! , or if its new , or old , or having new instructions or ...? When you're producing millions of kits-anything goes. Dan-O
Old 12-24-2011, 12:29 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
Going back to the Alpha, what do you guys think of the Semroc Start? It was an early design by Bill Simon and it certainly looks Alphaesque with a slightly bigger body tube. I could not find in the instructions of the Start when it was first introduced so could it have been the predecessor of the Alpha?

No....not predecessor....but rather a Semroc RTB interpretation of the Alpha, introduced just this past year. It's a nice model. As you say, it's a slight scale-up (107%), with the through-the-wall fins and inner/outer tube arrangement of the other RTB series members.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 12-24-2011, 01:38 AM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
No....not predecessor....but rather a Semroc RTB interpretation of the Alpha, introduced just this past year. It's a nice model. As you say, it's a slight scale-up (107%), with the through-the-wall fins and inner/outer tube arrangement of the other RTB series members.

Sorry, this msg. came to my inbox-i never mentioned anything about this post about a senrok alfa kit etc. ya got tha rong guy but wuz fun replyin----da
Old 12-24-2011, 03:25 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymrmissile
My gosh-this kit has this part, that kit has this one-but mine has a brown one-oh, mine's black-I have a Alpha II with a long tube, but my Metric is..... Tha SPEV was a combo of a Little Joe II & Thor Agena B; the Firefly was just the fins of a Mini Bomarc.....even if it had a square of clay & the other didn't.... No, My Alpha II and Metric Alpha are fac. orig's. made back in tha day-original and they all have minor variations-be it in parts, print or .......well they weren't bought off ebay. C' Mon, Man...they're all variations of whats available at the time and whats goin on in tha minds of the marketers at estes. Ive got 3 of the same kits-each having a difference of some type in each pkg.-even from same time era. Whats the question here? , how can a 2 ring motor mount wreak such havock over one havin a single sleve......??! , or if its new , or old , or having new instructions or ...? When you're producing millions of kits-anything goes. Dan-O
Eh? Vas? I don't collect anything, but I know people who do. Tiny and insignificant (to all but the collectors) differences between products such as serial numbers, places and/or dates of manufacture, and packaging variations can make hundreds and even thousands of dollars of differences between the prices that the items will fetch from collectors.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 12-24-2011, 07:58 AM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Semroc also has the shoulderless nose cone for it. When I first saw the cone, I was perplexed by the lack of a shoulder. But after seeing the photo of your OB, it now makes sense to me.

That's quite a stunning build. What brand of "orange paint" did you use on it?

Thanks Mark;

Thanks also for mentioning that Carl has the shoulderless Orange Bullet nose; I had neglected to make that point earlier.

The paint used on the model was/is Testor's #1628 Competition Orange spray enamel.
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 12-24-2011, 01:35 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Eh? Vas? I don't collect anything, but I know people who do. Tiny and insignificant (to all but the collectors) differences between products such as serial numbers, places and/or dates of manufacture, and packaging variations can make hundreds and even thousands of dollars of differences between the prices that the items will fetch from collectors.

Yeah, I know that. Was just ramblin' . I was the same once-maybe worse, as every little detail meant everything to me that way . I collected same kits w/small variations too. That was the fun and challenge of it all & why I have so many. Still do, to a smaller degree. Thanx, Dan.

Last edited by dannymrmissile : 12-24-2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: addition