Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2005, 02:15 PM
I'm not a BAR - I've never quit!

Send a message via AIM to RocketBoy 32
Default New Estes Renegade

So, has anybody else given in to temptation and modified the new two stage Renegade for power?

I get tired of my boosters getting all banged up upon landing so I added an engine block, shock cord and parachute to each of the two side pods on the booster. To do this I had to cut the base of the nosecones off and stuff a 'chute into each. I then tied the shock cord to the remaining shoulder of the cone via a small hole I drilled. I glued the other end of the elastic into the booster tube with the standard Estes shock cord mount.

The 'chute is tied to the shock cord so that the shock cord will pull the 'chute from the inside of the nosecone when fully extended. With the new ejection charge I don't see this as a problem.

At all.

In theory, if a similiar motor is used in each of the booster pods along with a motor of slightly lesser burn time for the core, I should get an ejection just after the sustainer seperates.

Any thoughts?

EJS
Old 04-24-2005, 03:42 PM
BAR

At our first club launch last week, one of our guys launched it with an 18mm C-C combo - major mistake!!!

Soon as it cleared the rod (just barely), it weathercocked over to about a 45 degree angle down, gained momentum, proceeded to bury itself in the (fairly soft) dirt (about 20 ft from the launcher). It continued to burn sticking out of the ground - staged - burned some more - then popped the ejection charge, shooting the rocket back up in the air.

Surprisingly, didn't do that much damage. Broke a booster fin, scraped up the nose cone just a little, & slightly crushed the front of the BT about an inch IIRC.

I'll see if I can find the specific links, but others have described upping at least the booster to 24mm - some have modified theirs for a 24mm-24mm combo. They've described the process in detail including their methods for compensating for the added weight.

I have a couple of Renegades, but am too preoccupied preparing for upcoming competitions.

Jack
You do not touch my daughter in front of me. You may glance at her, so long as you do not peer at anything below her neck. If you cannot keep your eyes or hands off of my daughter's body, I will remove them.