Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 10:56 AM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

Hi,
This past weekend, I dug through my old storage boxes and found all the correspondence from Herb datain from 1976-77. It turns out that Herb was able to contact me through a group that we both belonged to...The Starlords International Association of Rocketry, based in Hawaii, with membership from all over the world. This was good for Herb because it gave him a worldwide list of people to which he could send Cinerocs to fly in their countries. Anyway, I ended up locating 5 Cinerocs on hobby store shelves in Colorado Springs that I managed to purchase for him and send his way. Among my letters from Herb were some photos of himself launching a Cineroc form an F engine carrier bird, some photos from one of the NARWIN Winternats in Phoenix (one of these was an excellent photo of G. Harry Stine himself launching an F Class Altitiude bird!). Herb also sent me an excellent Mars Rover photo straight from NASA!

Good memories......
Old 12-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastfromthepast
Hi,
This past weekend, I dug through my old storage boxes and found all the correspondence from Herb datain from 1976-77. It turns out that Herb was able to contact me through a group that we both belonged to...The Starlords International Association of Rocketry, based in Hawaii, with membership from all over the world. This was good for Herb because it gave him a worldwide list of people to which he could send Cinerocs to fly in their countries. Anyway, I ended up locating 5 Cinerocs on hobby store shelves in Colorado Springs that I managed to purchase for him and send his way. Among my letters from Herb were some photos of himself launching a Cineroc form an F engine carrier bird, some photos from one of the NARWIN Winternats in Phoenix (one of these was an excellent photo of G. Harry Stine himself launching an F Class Altitiude bird!). Herb also sent me an excellent Mars Rover photo straight from NASA!

Good memories......

Thanks for the various posts on your interactions with Herb. Very interesting. If you get a chance, scan and post a photo or two of those you found.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 04-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Apollo Nut

Default Cineroc Yellow Tape Strip Scan

Scanned image of the Cineroc tape strip for a YORF member who asked.

Earl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Cineroc Tape Strips.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  92.4 KB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 04-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks Earl!

I'm trying to make a copy of the 1974 Estes Catalog's Combination offer (RC-8) (previous years 701-RC-8), and the more info I can gather the better the kit will turn out.

Tape looks to be about 3/8" wide, and just shy of 4 15/16" long with two pieces of 11/16" (presumably to seal the switch's port)

All The Best!
K'Tesh

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Master Modeler

I know that like me, you probably want to keep it original (especially seeing how you can likely still get that old metal holder), but a better option would be a single 3v lithium cell. I messed around with converting one of my Cinerocs to use a lithium battery, it appeared to run at the same speed and lasted at least as long as two alkaline N cells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Roy-

I pulled the Cineroc back out and removed the new N cells from the battery holder assembly. The following company name appears on the bottom of each battery holder 'trough': Acme Model Engineering Co., Ridgefield, NJ.

There was no part number that I could see though. I haven't done any Google checks to see if these folks might still be around, but it would probably be worth a check see. Who knows, they might still be in business and may even still carry this double N cell holder that you could replace yours with.

Earl

Edit: looks like they are still in business (they've changed their name, but there are still references to 'Acme' on their web site) and still make that same dual N cell battery holder. See here: http://www.utmfg.com/product/BAT-N/130.html

Earl
Old 04-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Master Modeler

FYI, apparently Kodak has discontinued the last Super 8 color reversal film they used to make. It was Kodachrome 100D (about half as fast as you wanted for a Cineroc, you had to have it push-processed), but it worked. That is gone now.

All that is left is color negative film. The Vision3 200T is the right speed but it is tungsten balanced and negative film of course. Plus having a roll of negative film transferred to DVD or whatever format costs around $125.

So ends the ability to directly project a "modern" Cineroc film.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
FYI, apparently Kodak has discontinued the last Super 8 color reversal film they used to make. It was Kodachrome 100D (about half as fast as you wanted for a Cineroc, you had to have it push-processed), but it worked. That is gone now.

All that is left is color negative film. The Vision3 200T is the right speed but it is tungsten balanced and negative film of course. Plus having a roll of negative film transferred to DVD or whatever format costs around $125.

So ends the ability to directly project a "modern" Cineroc film.

Well, dang. Thanks for the heads up. Seems like I was over at the Kodak website for 8mm film products not that long ago and didn't see any mention then. Must have been longer ago than I thought.

I have one full roll on hand that I was going to be using for my Cineroc 'ground checkout' film tests before I actually flew it (just to make sure the camera was working ok and that my home film loading work was satisfactory). That would still leave enough on the roll for a couple of flights, but I just found a source that had two rolls left and bought those. So, that should give me plenty for all the Cineroc flights I'd want to make, which are probably only 3-4 or so at most.

But thanks for the heads up.....good timing.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 04-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Master Modeler

It's kinda sad, the demise of film. This is it for any Kodak color reversal films. First it was Kodachrome of course, now Ektachrome. No more slide shows either. They still sell B&W Tri-X reversal film but I can't imagine that has much of a future.

The Tri-X would probably work quite well in a Cineroc. It's the right speed and a nice fine grain.

Still, one wonders who the heck is shooting B&W Super 8 film these days...
Old 04-08-2013, 07:48 PM
BP Mafia

Reminds me of vinyl albums, and they made a comeback.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
It's kinda sad, the demise of film. This is it for any Kodak color reversal films. First it was Kodachrome of course, now Ektachrome. No more slide shows either. They still sell B&W Tri-X reversal film but I can't imagine that has much of a future.

The Tri-X would probably work quite well in a Cineroc. It's exactly the right speed and a nice fine grain.

Still, one wonders what the heck is shooting B&W Super 8 film these days...

Yeah, last year I was looking at the various film stocks and thought about that Tri-X. Might be interesting to try a flight or two on it, just for the heck of it. But yes, trying' to figure just who would be using much of that these days. Films students maybe.....lab or research purposes possibly. There IS something kinda 'fetching' about B&W in certain circumstances, but all-in-all for a Cineroc flight I'd probably be wanting it to be color.

The very first 'video' camera I ever flew though back in the 80s was one of those Fisher-Price Pixelvision cameras, which worked quite well. Shot on audio cassette tapes running at really fast speed through the recorder and was in B&W, with sound. I thought it was pretty neat for it's time....early digital video for rocketry. Just stripped the case off it and mounted it on a special fixture in my modified LOC Mini Viper on three H70s. Then later on a J220 in another booster and at Black Rock (LDRS-X I think it was) on a Vulcan K500. Somewhat grainy digital footage, but was certainly acceptable for it's day.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions