Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2011, 05:21 PM
BP Mafia

Default Both of my NARAM 53 flights

Yup! Two days on the range. Two flights. To be fair, I've been doing more work than play, but it's been a good time.
Day one's flight was my BT-80 Wizard on an Estes E9-4. Nice, slow liftoff and a great long burn. Very cool flight.

Glamour shot on the pad. If you look closely, you can see the heat.

Ignition......

...and lift-off!

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 07-24-2011, 05:25 PM
BP Mafia

Wizard climbing out.

And climbing way out.

Under chute.

Can't stick the landing.
Very cool flight, some tube damage from the nose cone bouncing back into the body tube, but very slight. I'll probably fly it again before the week is out.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 07-24-2011, 05:32 PM
BP Mafia

Today's flight was the FSI Nova that I bought from Don Fent several years back. This flight was on a C11-7, but subsequent flights will be on a D12-7.

Glamour shot.

Ignition.

Liftoff thanks to a quick-fingered LCO. (It was smoking when I hit the button. I go when the LCO hits "...one,..".)

At rest. The original FSI chute was sticking badly, so I improvised and went with a streamer. Perfect flight. No damage.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 07-24-2011, 05:42 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

I've got you beat, but just barely. Day one I started with a Semroc Carlisle Mark II with an A10-3t using a John Boren-supplied new Estes 13-18 motor adapter.

At 1PM I partly prepped my 34-year-old Estes/Semroc Saturn 1B with four Quest C6-3 motors. As I was walking with it across the field, Peter Alway stopped me to look at it and asked if i'd wait til between 2 and 4 when he was pressing the buttons. Well, of course! Of course, at 1:45 all plans changed with the weather. 3PM I decided to go with it, but as I was doing the final prep I snapped a fin off it. Was going to scratch it when Bill Spadafora looked at me with a look that said, "You WUSS!" and so I flew it on seven fins. It flew a bit squirrely with a high spin rate, but otherwise, the flight went well.

I spent too much time at the Beer Loft last night talking to Nettie and Chad and Jack and Mike, etc, and so I didn't get to the range until Noon, knowing that the flying day would once again end about 1:45 (more pop-up storms detected). I prepped my new Quest Magnum, with a magical crystal nose cone (ok, Nettie said they once ran out of black ones so they packed clear ones in a few kits), on two C6-5's. It's a fast flyer! Recommended.

After that, saw that Vern and Gleda were sitting in the Estes tent building rockets! So I stopped and talked with them, and Vern signed my MegaAlpha (that I forgot to get him to sign in Chicago twenty years ago!).

As I walked back to the car with the MegaAlpha (stopping at each vendor booth along the way), we got the warning that a popup storm was coming our way, so I went to get lunch. I was gonna fly my Orion and Maxi Alpha 3 later, but when I got back, vendor row was empty, the sport range was deserted, and the lightning detector at the concession stand was flashing.

Maybe I can get in a few flights tomorrow morning before I head back to Atlanta.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:49 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
I've got you beat, but just barely. Day one I started with a Semroc Carlisle Mark II with an A10-3t using a John Boren-supplied new Estes 13-18 motor adapter.

At 1PM I partly prepped my 34-year-old Estes/Semroc Saturn 1B with four Quest C6-3 motors. As I was walking with it across the field, Peter Alway stopped me to look at it and asked if i'd wait til between 2 and 4 when he was pressing the buttons. Well, of course! Of course, at 1:45 all plans changed with the weather. 3PM I decided to go with it, but as I was doing the final prep I snapped a fin off it. Was going to scratch it when Bill Spadafora looked at me with a look that said, "You WUSS!" and so I flew it on seven fins. It flew a bit squirrely with a high spin rate, but otherwise, the flight went well.

I spent too much time at the Beer Loft last night talking to Nettie and Chad and Jack and Mike, etc, and so I didn't get to the range until Noon, knowing that the flying day would once again end about 1:45 (more pop-up storms detected). I prepped my new Quest Magnum, with a magical crystal nose cone (ok, Nettie said they once ran out of black ones so they packed clear ones in a few kits), on two C6-5's. It's a fast flyer! Recommended.

After that, saw that Vern and Gleda were sitting in the Estes tent building rockets! So I stopped and talked with them, and Vern signed my MegaAlpha (that I forgot to get him to sign in Chicago twenty years ago!).

As I walked back to the car with the MegaAlpha (stopping at each vendor booth along the way), we got the warning that a popup storm was coming our way, so I went to get lunch. I was gonna fly my Orion and Maxi Alpha 3 later, but when I got back, vendor row was empty, the sport range was deserted, and the lightning detector at the concession stand was flashing.

Maybe I can get in a few flights tomorrow morning before I head back to Atlanta.

I remember the 1B flight, but at the time I had no idea that it was you who was flying it. I was the RSO sitting with Bill. Same thing happened today with Bill and I on the check-in table and Peter as the LCO. We made Peter an honorary Bill for the day.
Sorry to have missed the chance to put a face to the name. And how cool to have Vern and Gleda building in the Estes tent! I saw them there, but I was making a quick run to the car and back before my RSO shift.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 07-24-2011, 07:29 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:

Sorry to have missed that flight. It was me who intercepted you on your way from parking to the sport range/vendor area. It appears we were the only two who valued shade over proximity when picking a parking space in the summer.

Quote:

And it was me who showed up very late for Beer Lofting after meeting luke strawwalker at the Burger King next to the hotel and having an extended discussion on subjects ranging from the US space program to rocket club politics.

Quote:

If I do not see you Monday morning, have a safe and pleasant drive back to Hotlanta. Pray you do not get stuck in Kentucky road construction like I did between Sonoma and Elisabethtown.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 07-24-2011, 10:23 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Sorry to have missed that flight. It was me who intercepted you on your way from parking to the sport range/vendor area. It appears we were the only two who valued shade over proximity when picking a parking space in the summer.

And it was me who showed up very late for Beer Lofting after meeting luke strawwalker at the Burger King next to the hotel and having an extended discussion on subjects ranging from the US space program to rocket club politics.

If I do not see you Monday morning, have a safe and pleasant drive back to Hotlanta. Pray you do not get stuck in Kentucky road construction like I did between Sonoma and Elisabethtown.

Bill

Ok, now I know who you are! Yes, as I was driving north I ran into two construction situations, but I saw a worse construction jam in the southbound lanes. I hope that isn't going on tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Forest Sprite

What would be your estimate of the altitude that your Nova got on the C11?

The upscaled Wizard is very cool! Nice pics!
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 07-25-2011, 01:02 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
What would be your estimate of the altitude that your Nova got on the C11?

The upscaled Wizard is very cool! Nice pics!

No idea on the Nova. It was all but out of sight, so I'm expecting big things in the event that I get to try it on a D12-7. Hard to believe that I considered making it an E9 bird in the spirit of FSI.
The Wizard is very photogenic from the distance I had to stand to get the pad shot. Up close it's nowhere near the looker. I had two people tell me to take a grinder to the epoxy clay fillets. Sad thing is, they're right.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 07-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Crazy Intermediate Old Rocketeer

Bill, What camera do you use to get the multiple shots that close together?
I think by the time my camera recovered from the ignition shot, the parachute would already be out.