Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2017, 08:12 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I was going to ask if it was VanDyke Pool and Toy.
Used to stop in there as well from time to time during my ventures down to Prop Shop Hobbies.
I never got any lucky finds like you did however.
It's been a couple months since I went to Prop Shop Hobbies.
I think I'll stop in there today and extend my lunch hour.
I need another can of Brodak Dope thinner anyway.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-17-2017, 09:09 AM
Craftsman

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I know the answer since I have them in my collection. Yes, D12's came in the diamond box packaging.

Yep, one of my prized possessions: a sealed diamond pack of D12-5's. Since I started in rocketry in the early seventies, it is a sight that always brings a smile to my face.

That, an orange Porta-Pad II and a KC-1 Quasar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Box Side 1.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  330.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Box Side 2.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  336.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Box End.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  507.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Date Stamp.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  680.8 KB  
Old 02-18-2017, 01:13 PM

The KC-1 Quasar was my first rocket in 1977

Old 02-25-2017, 08:44 AM
BAR

I recently came into possession of some 1/2A6-0 Diamond packs. Most had date codes of 11-9-73. The interesting pack was 1-7-72, which has thick walled motors!

These will be fun for small 2 stagers, under the expired motor program, of course.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 02-25-2017, 12:01 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
I recently came into possession of some 1/2A6-0 Diamond packs. Most had date codes of 11-9-73. The interesting pack was 1-7-72, which has thick walled motors!

These will be fun for small 2 stagers, under the expired motor program, of course.
Why must it be done under the expired motor program? Not every model rocket activity (or *any* model rocket activity, for that matter) has to be conducted under NAR sanction. (The model rocket club at my elementary school had nothing to do with the NAR either, but not because of any dislike of the organization; they just saw no need to join). Your 1972-vintage 1/2A6-0 motors were the same type that were made as 1/2A6-0S (Series III, "Shorty") motors, which were also thick-walled. Also, regarding such low-impulse lower stage motors:

This is a niche (potentially quite a large niche, actually) that RMS/Aerotech/Quest could fill, since Estes doesn't appear to be interested in doing so. School clubs and youth groups could fly two-stage and even three-stage model rockets on quite small fields without worries about losing them, if 1/4A and 1/2A zero-delay lower stage motors--as well as similarly low-impulse upper stage motors, with suitable-length delays--were available. They could be made either 13 mm or 18 mm in diameter. The 1/2A3-0, 1/2A6-0, 1/4A3-4, and 1/2A6-4 (the A5-0 and A5-4 are another proven combination) would all be excellent low-impulse motors for small-field multi-stage rockets. For single-stage models, the 1/4A3-2, 1/2A3-2, 1/2A6-2, and A5-2 would provide fine small-field performance.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 02-25-2017, 01:00 PM
Dazed and Confused

I can tell you from experience that a 1/4A3-0 will stage before it clears the launch rod in a little Estes Mini Brute Beta. The booster gets slammed back into the launch pad. I flew the same combination before any primer or paint and it staged probably 2-3 ft above the rod. Even with small rockets, for consistent and safe staging, 1/2A would be the minimum. Fun as heck, but not for public consumption.

This is my Beta at Shelby Farms with Barone, DaveR and his son, and Intruder (my son) in attendance.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:50 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I can tell you from experience that a 1/4A3-0 will stage before it clears the launch rod in a little Estes Mini Brute Beta. The booster gets slammed back into the launch pad. I flew the same combination before any primer or paint and it staged probably 2-3 ft above the rod. Even with small rockets, for consistent and safe staging, 1/2A would be the minimum. Fun as heck, but not for public consumption.

This is my Beta at Shelby Farms with Barone, DaveR and his son, and Intruder (my son) in attendance. [PHOTO SNIPPED ONLY FOR STORAGE & BANDWIDTH REASONS]
A YORF "mini-convention/launch," eh? Melikes it! That is a beautiful photograph (not only the captured action, but the natural floral background). Regarding 1/4A3-0 staging altitudes:

The Beta is a BT-20 size rocket, but I suspect that a minimum-diameter (BT-5), short-as-possible two-stage rocket would stage at a "less than heart-in-the-mouth-exciting," higher altitude if it used a 1/4A3-0 in its first stage (and even in a BT-20 three-stage model, that motor would work fine in the second stage). A piston launcher would help, too. But also:

The 1/4A3-0 would be ideal for scale flight realism in models of boosted sounding rockets and meteorological rockets--in particular, ones with finless boosters that burn out before the rocket clears its launch tower or launch rail. Examples include the Spanish INTA-255, the single Chick motor-boosted variant of the British Skua meteorological & sounding rocket, and the U.S. (Atlantic Research Corporation) Iris. But in today's litigious environment, the 1/2A6-0 (or ^maybe^ a 1/2A3-0) would indeed be the lowest-impulse booster motor that one would want to sell to the general public (the 1/4A3-0 can always be replicated as a "home-rolled" sugar rocket motor).
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 02-25-2017, 03:19 PM

That Beta booster on a 1/4A3-0T being slammed back down to the blast-deflector must be a hilarious sight.

I have re-loaded once-used BP engine casings with Sugar-Motor/Caramel-Candy propellant and staged them to upper-stage BP engines.
The nozzles/casings work fine reloaded once.
Once-fired FSI F100 casings were far more reliable with sugar-propellant than their original BP pressed load.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:38 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
That Beta booster on a 1/4A3-0T being slammed back down to the blast-deflector must be a hilarious sight.

I have re-loaded once-used BP engine casings with Sugar-Motor/Caramel-Candy propellant and staged them to upper-stage BP engines.
The nozzles/casings work fine reloaded once.
Once-fired FSI F100 casings were far more reliable with sugar-propellant than their original BP pressed load.
Hmmm...thereon could begin a cottage industry... The thin-walled 13 mm mini motors might be marginal for reloading, but the thicker-walled 18 mm motors should be plenty durable for that. Purpose-made reload-able motor cases, designed for use with the lower-impulse sugar propellant, would add a whole new dimension to the hobby (technically, they wouldn't be model rockets because their definition specifies that the users never produce or mix their propellant, but that wouldn't deter me from--while exercising all due caution and care, of course--enjoying them).
NAR #54895 SR
Old 02-25-2017, 04:09 PM

I never tried reloading 13mm cases with Sugar-propellant. The walls seem too thin to me.
I have reloaded Estes/Centuri 18mm and 24mm cases as well as FSI 21mm and 27mm cases. Have never tried to reload the fairly 'new' Estes 29mm cases, but see no reason why it would not work.
When I have used them, I pour the propellant around a nozzle-diameter core rod about 2/3 the depth of the total propellant that allows a bit of end-burn at the top of the grain, which allows staging to an upper motor.
I have never reloaded them more than once as it burns away a bit of the casing. The nozzles would be in good enough shape to allow more firings though.
I have also used Epoxy mixed with KNO3 or KCLO4 for a cold-pourable propellant. That is a bit more energetic than sugar-propellant but a lot more costly.