Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Cosmic American

Default Building A Low Powered Rocket For Video Camera Payload

I'm VERY interested in making cool little flight videos, as I'm sure most of us here are... we're covering the cameras in this thread about the CVS disposable and other video cameras, but I would also like to explore and learn about the needs of the payload carrying rocket itself.

I would REALLY like to scratch build a rocket just for this purpose... but I am about as new to this as it gets and barely know where to begin!

The main qualities I would like to aim for are max altitude using the cheapest motors... I would LOVE to get at least around 500 to 600 feet from C5's... is that realistic?

I would greatly appreciate any component breakdown recommendations... feel free to link directly to specific Semroc parts!

Admittedly having only a VERY basic understanding of the important factors (weight, aerodynamics and stability), I'm assuming that one would want to go with the smallest diameter body tube possible, but perhaps making a fairly long rocket. The smaller diameter tube would (in my meager theorization) be lighter, and the longer body would help to keep the noseweight as forward as possible which I'm assuming would help keep the CG and CP in proper measure, no?

I'm figuring on having the camera (of the mini "spy" cam variety) mounted into a separate payload section just under the nose cone, perhaps having just enough of the camera sticking out for the lens to have a clear view of the ground... maybe even angled out ever so slightly. The battery system and maybe the antenae would be inside the tube and the cone would just be friction fitted tightly yet removable to enable both battery changes and further tinkering. I will also add some form of cardstock cover to aid in aerodynamics.

Too, I would imagine that the payload section would need to be as short as possible since the recovery system will be directly below it, thus helping to keep all the inside weight as forward as possible (for the sake of CG/CP).

I would also like to know about fins... I'm guessing that it might be necessary to use somewhat biggish fins to maintain proper CG/CP, no? There goes a little more weight sacrifice if so.

Yes, I would LOVE to have RockSim, but at this time I cannot expend the 100 bucks!

EDIT:

I'm also wondering about the ideal nose cone shape and length...

Last edited by dwrunyon : 03-06-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:59 PM
The_Ripper

Go to this link and type in "Goliath" in the search box in the upper right hand corner.

http://www.boostervision.com/boostervision/default.asp

BoosterVision uses the Semroc Goliath as a carrier rocket combo for their Mini GearCam booster rocket.

You can get some more info on the Goliath from the Semroc site.

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...s.asp?SKU=KV-28

IMO it's a good choice for an inexpensive camera carrier rocket if you intend to use your own mini cam as you mentioned. Build it with your choice of 3 different motor mounts: 1 18mm motor, 1 24mm motor, or 3 18mm motor cluster.

As far as a stable rocket design .... it's very stable and carrying payloads is what it's designed for. Personally I'd build it for a single 24mm motor and make an adapter for 18mm motors. If you would ever want images from a higher altitude than what a C motor can provide you'll need the 24mm mount.

My suggestion would be build this kit first and get experience and see how it goes together. Design a scratch build for your second payload rocket and incorporate what you have learned from the Goliath into that and possibly make design improvements based on what you have observed. You may pattern your scratch build after the Semroc Lil' Hustler with a larger diameter payload section than the lower airframe so the camera will be mounted inside the larger diameter upper section to get less of the fins in the video. Also you can download the demo version of RockSim from the Apogee site and there is a RockSim file for the Goliath in the link I provided to the kit specs on the Semroc site.

You can get the RockSim free demo here. I believe with the demo version you can run the designs you just can't save them.

http://www.apogeerockets.com/rocksim.asp

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 03-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Member in Good Standing!

Thumbs up Scratch builts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Go to this link and type in "Goliath" in the search box in the upper right hand corner.

http://www.boostervision.com/boostervision/default.asp

BoosterVision uses the Semroc Goliath as a carrier rocket combo for their Mini GearCam booster rocket.

You can get some more info on the Goliath from the Semroc site.

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...s.asp?SKU=KV-28

IMO it's a good choice for an inexpensive camera carrier rocket if you intend to use your own mini cam as you mentioned. Build it with your choice of 3 different motor mounts: 1 18mm motor, 1 24mm motor, or 3 18mm motor cluster.

As far as a stable rocket design .... it's very stable and carrying payloads is what it's designed for. Personally I'd build it for a single 24mm motor and make an adapter for 18mm motors. If you would ever want images from a higher altitude than what a C motor can provide you'll need the 24mm mount.

My suggestion would be build this kit first and get experience and see how it goes together. Design a scratch build for your second payload rocket and incorporate what you have learned from the Goliath into that and possibly make design improvements based on what you have observed. You may pattern your scratch build after the Semroc Lil' Hustler with a larger diameter payload section than the lower airframe so the camera will be mounted inside the larger diameter upper section to get less of the fins in the video. Also you can download the demo version of RockSim from the Apogee site and there is a RockSim file for the Goliath in the link I provided to the kit specs on the Semroc site.

You can get the RockSim free demo here. I believe with the demo version you can run the designs you just can't save them.

http://www.apogeerockets.com/rocksim.asp

Most excellent advice given here. You have to crawl, then walk before you can run. It's tough to go back after you've said " whoops"!
Old 03-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Dazed and Confused

My Cineroc Omega flew great as a single stage with the 24mm C11-3. It only got 200 feet altitude at best, but it was hauling a 9v battery along with the camera and seperate transmitter. I flew one D12-3 single stage flight with it and it probably hit 350-400 ft. Unfortunately, the transmitter battery was low and the picture quality was unusable. It's last flight was as a full D12/D12 two stage. The rocket is heavy in that configuration and is prone to tipping off. It did tip off with the help of a bad nozzle, giving the motor vectored thrust. The vectored thrust is easily visible in the photos in this thread. You will be surprised at the view you get from a fairly low flight. The little cameras have a very wide angle of view. A 200 foot flight will show quite a bit.

If you want to scratch build a single stage video rocket, anything with 16-18" BT-60 body tube and average size fins will do as the booster. Make sure it has a 24mm mount like mentioned in the other post. Unless you can make the whole thing as light as a full up Astrocam, the C6-3 will have trouble lifting it.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:42 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
My Cineroc Omega flew great as a single stage with the 24mm C11-3. It only got 200 feet altitude at best, but it was hauling a 9v battery along with the camera and seperate transmitter. I flew one D12-3 single stage flight with it and it probably hit 350-400 ft. Unfortunately, the transmitter battery was low and the picture quality was unusable. It's last flight was as a full D12/D12 two stage. The rocket is heavy in that configuration and is prone to tipping off. It did tip off with the help of a bad nozzle, giving the motor vectored thrust. The vectored thrust is easily visible in the photos in this thread. You will be surprised at the view you get from a fairly low flight. The little cameras have a very wide angle of view. A 200 foot flight will show quite a bit.

If you want to scratch build a single stage video rocket, anything with 16-18" BT-60 body tube and average size fins will do as the booster. Make sure it has a 24mm mount like mentioned in the other post. Unless you can make the whole thing as light as a full up Astrocam, the C6-3 will have trouble lifting it.

It's a shame you trashed such a nice rocket due to a faulty motor nozzle. Are you going to build another Cineroc Omega? Reason I ask is I noticed a few weeks ago that Thrustline has the Omega clone available on their website. Semroc has the new Cineroc balsa parts and tube to top it off with to make the build that much easier.

I'm real tempted to try a project like yours but I always seem to get lost when it come to the actual camera selection. I will one day at least build an Omega clone because I always loved that rocket.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 03-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Dazed and Confused

I'll eventually get around to building another one. I've got a bunch of other projects going right now, though, so it may be a while. I imagine I'll still turn my own parts for it, but if I happen to order something from Carl around the time I decide to do it, I might get the parts from him.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Cosmic American

Looking at that Goliath it would appear to have about the same specs as a Big Bertha... I loves me some Berthas... maybe I could adapt a Big Bertha into a cam rocket, even if I had to use 24mm motors? I REALLY want to build a light one for C6 use though, if it's at all posible... I'm on a pretty dang limited budget at the moment and we also have nowhere to get D's around here! But if it's not doable I can't break the laws of physics! I REALLY do appreciate the advice. I may just have to give the build I see in my head a go though... even if it doesn't work it should be fun playing around, and I'll do plenty of swing tests before launching!
Old 03-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrunyon
Looking at that Goliath it would appear to have about the same specs as a Big Bertha... I loves me some Berthas... maybe I could adapt a Big Bertha into a cam rocket, even if I had to use 24mm motors? I REALLY want to build a light one for C6 use though, if it's at all posible... I'm on a pretty dang limited budget at the moment and we also have nowhere to get D's around here! But if it's not doable I can't break the laws of physics! I REALLY do appreciate the advice. I may just have to give the build I see in my head a go though... even if it doesn't work it should be fun playing around, and I'll do plenty of swing tests before launching!

You can easily fit a two or three 18mm motor cluster in a Bertha airframe. The original Bertha came from a three engined Ranger. Two C6's would give something close to a D12, and three would be stronger than a single D12 with a really hard kick off the pad. That would give you considerable lifting power, and you could still get motors locally.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Cosmic American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
You can easily fit a two or three 18mm motor cluster in a Bertha airframe.

Well, that would pretty much null and void my reasoning for using 18mm as 3 C's would cost more than one D, but that lets me know that I need to just go ahead and make the jump to D! There are a couple of D rockets out there that I would enjoy building so I might as well... I won't be able to fly them as many times per launch session, but I can deal with that. I'm not quite ready to go into clustering yet either... I plan to hold off on that till I've built my own controler. Much appeciated!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrunyon
Well, that would pretty much null and void my reasoning for using 18mm as 3 C's would cost more than one D, but that lets me know that I need to just go ahead and make the jump to D! There are a couple of D rockets out there that I would enjoy building so I might as well... I won't be able to fly them as many times per launch session, but I can deal with that. I'm not quite ready to go into clustering yet either... I plan to hold off on that till I've built my own controler. Much appeciated!
You could build using the 24mm motor mount and use an adapter for 18mm. If you don't get the performance you're looking for with the 18mm, you've already got it configured for 24mm.