Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012, 08:41 PM
focused procrastinator

Default Your thoughts on SOPA?

So, what do you folks here think about the SOPA bill which will be voted on soon? The bill basically allows the government to censor anything that it or the entertainment industry that is trying to hoodwink everyone, finds a threat to " copyright laws". Trouble is, this gives the existing entertainment industry almost a monopoly as it would keep aspiring film makers from using anything that vaugely resembles anything like one of their published films, and sites like Facebook, Youtube, and many forums would be severely cripled, cuz guess what? mention anything from a copyrighted work, like the words "Lightsaber, terminator, any famous movie qoutes, or song lyrics, equal grounds to be censored. this basically would shut down the web as we know it, and make whats left a pretty bland place. google SOPA and read up on it. And let us know what you think of this crock. ( and please, keep smart@$$ comments and such off this thread)
Old 01-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Paper Rocketeer

As a professional writer, one would think I would support anything that strengthen's copyright laws. But this thing is so poorly thought out that it would make a total hash out of copyright issues. I think the best thing written on the subject was written a number of years ago by Spider Robinson. If you can find a copy of the book "Melancholy Elephants", the title story is about passing a bill that strengthens and lengthens copyright to perpetuity. The story features Robert Heinlein's widow, Virginia explaining to lawmakers why she does NOT support this bill and makes several very very good points. Oh, and the title refers to the fact that elephants never forget, and this is what makes them melancholy (they can never again experience the joy of discovering something new because, for them, there is nothing new under the sun).

If you can find a copy in a used bookstore or online, it is very much worth the read.

Greg
Old 01-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Forest Sprite

What do I think of SOPA? Why, I █████████████, and it's █████████! And furthermore, ████████████ █████████████████████ █████████████. What were █████████████████████████████████████?

Let me break it down:
  1. ████████████ ███████████████ ███████████ ██████ ██████████████████ ███████████████████████ ██████████████ █████████████████████████
  2. ████████████ █████████████ █████ ████████ █████████ ███████████████ █████████████████ ████████████████████████████
  3. ████████ █████████████████ █████████████ ██████████████ ██████████ ███████████████████████████████████ ███████████████████████████ ██████████████████ ████████████████████████████████████████████
  4. ███████████████████ ███████ █████ █████ ███████ █████████ ██████████ ██████████████████████████████ ███████████████ █████████████████ ████████████████████ ████████████ ████████████████████████
  5. █████ ████████████████ █████████████████████ ███████████ ███ ██████ ████████████████████████ ██████████████████ !
This █████████████████████ █████████████████ █████ , immediately!
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011

Last edited by Mark II : 01-18-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Dazed and Confused

I use SOPA every time I take a shower....at least once every week or two.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I use SOPA every time I take a shower....at least once every week or two.
Whether you need it or not!
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 01-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
What do I think of SOPA? Why, I █████████████, and it's █████████! And furthermore, ████████████ █████████████████████ █████████████. What were █████████████████████████████████████?

Let me break it down:
  1. ████████████ ███████████████ ███████████ ██████ ██████████████████ ███████████████████████ ██████████████ █████████████████████████
  2. ████████████ █████████████ █████ ████████ █████████ ███████████████ █████████████████ ████████████████████████████
  3. ████████ █████████████████ █████████████ ██████████████ ██████████ ███████████████████████████████████ ███████████████████████████ ██████████████████ ████████████████████████████████████████████
  4. ███████████████████ ███████ █████ █████ ███████ █████████ ██████████ ██████████████████████████████ ███████████████ █████████████████ ████████████████████ ████████████ ████████████████████████
  5. █████ ████████████████ █████████████████████ ███████████ ███ ██████ ████████████████████████ ██████████████████ !
This █████████████████████ █████████████████ █████ , immediately!
What Mark said. Especially #3.

Of a similar mind,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 01-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I found this to be rather funny...and interesting:
http://static.thepiratebay.org/legal/sopa.txt
Old 01-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Forest Sprite

Once they extract some of the more effusive and volatile elements, they'll still have Cup o' SOPA.
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 PM
BAR

Whatever happened to this country???

I mean, when I was growing up, we built tens of thousands of nuclear weapons and missiles, bombers, artillery, etc. to deliver them, and were half a heartbeat away from nuking half the planet to 'protect our freedoms'... (nevermind we'd have been ashes ourselves about 30 minutes later... at least our ashes would be "free").

NOW, we have stuff like THIS... like the Patriot Act, and like Obama just giving himself carte blanche power to imprison anyone he deems a 'terrorist' without habeus corpus... in effect, suspending the Constitution... imprisoned without trial, without bail, without being faced by your accusers... guilty until proven innocent...

I don't even recognize this country anymore... I REALLY feel sad for those stuck defending it... much like the Roman legions, servants stuck in far-flung Imperial possessions defending a homeland rotten to the core and imploding from its own excesses...

Somewhere along the line, we've become ruled by "The Golden Rule"-- "he who has the gold MAKES THE RULES!!"...

I really don't see the difference anymore between us, Russia, and China anymore... just a matter of degrees and affluence... the lies are the same-- meet the new boss-- same as the old boss...

Like my Dad used to say, "Doesn't matter what flag flies on the pole, the lies stay the same..."

There's nothing new under the sun is EXACTLY right...

Later! OL JR
Old 01-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Star Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Whatever happened to this country???

I mean, when I was growing up, we built tens of thousands of nuclear weapons and missiles, bombers, artillery, etc. to deliver them, and were half a heartbeat away from nuking half the planet to 'protect our freedoms'... (nevermind we'd have been ashes ourselves about 30 minutes later... at least our ashes would be "free").

NOW, we have stuff like THIS... like the Patriot Act, and like Obama just giving himself carte blanche power to imprison anyone he deems a 'terrorist' without habeus corpus... in effect, suspending the Constitution... imprisoned without trial, without bail, without being faced by your accusers... guilty until proven innocent...

I don't even recognize this country anymore... I REALLY feel sad for those stuck defending it... much like the Roman legions, servants stuck in far-flung Imperial possessions defending a homeland rotten to the core and imploding from its own excesses...

Somewhere along the line, we've become ruled by "The Golden Rule"-- "he who has the gold MAKES THE RULES!!"...

I really don't see the difference anymore between us, Russia, and China anymore... just a matter of degrees and affluence... the lies are the same-- meet the new boss-- same as the old boss...

Like my Dad used to say, "Doesn't matter what flag flies on the pole, the lies stay the same..."

There's nothing new under the sun is EXACTLY right...

Later! OL JR

To be sure short sighted and greedy has never changed, but hold on there, think about this;
The country you thought you knew never really existed anyway. So not much really has changed. Only the fact that mediated life has transcended digitally, and laws to make money are filling in all the niches therein. That's all.
EDIT: things have a way of working themselves out to have the appearance of looking better than it really is, there will be a manipulated negotiation on the perspective of things 'leveling out' so it doesn't look completely bankrupt, only mostly.
NAR #92766