Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

Thank you Barone! I just got my work area set up and started building rockets again last Month. I am putting primer coats and just about ready to paint the Estes 1929 Stealth, and the 2 stage Estes 2128 Long Shot, The Canaroc Warlock was damaged in the Move last year and I put it aside for now. I have also started the work on cutting out the fins for the Centuri E.E.S. Raven Clone from Bristol board; ouch that’s painful when you have arthritis.

When it comes to flying I get a much bigger thrall from flying High power rockets, until you build and fly your first J motor Rocket you will never view rocketry the same way again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  MY Pterodactyl rocket flight jpeg.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  42.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Flight of the Andromeda.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  39.8 KB  
Old 11-09-2007, 05:49 AM
Old guy who won't grow up

Default Launch em or lose em.

In what seems to be a cruel twist of fate in response to my previous posting about launching classic rockets before something else bad happens to them, the Witch fire here in Ramona, CA. has just recently reduced my collection of 837 mostly classic rockets to ashes. The rockets seem quite insignificant compared to My home and virtually everything else my Wife, Children and I owned, But we will rebuild our lives and, although rockets are rather low on my list of priorities right now, My collection, also, will slowly be rebuilt(four days after the fire, I received a Borealis kit that I ordered from Flis. The start of my new collection .
The point seems more valid to me now than ever. By all means launch them.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:08 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by usterwop
In what seems to be a cruel twist of fate in response to my previous posting about launching classic rockets before something else bad happens to them, the Witch fire here in Ramona, CA. has just recently reduced my collection of 837 mostly classic rockets to ashes. The rockets seem quite insignificant compared to My home and virtually everything else my Wife, Children and I owned, But we will rebuild our lives and, although rockets are rather low on my list of priorities right now, My collection, also, will slowly be rebuilt(four days after the fire, I received a Borealis kit that I ordered from Flis. The start of my new collection .
The point seems more valid to me now than ever. By all means launch them.

Wow. I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your home and possessions. I'm glad to hear that your family is safe at least.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 11-09-2007, 07:41 AM
GET GOONY!!

Gee, I do not know what to say. As Scott mentioned, I sure am glad that you and your family are safe. I know that my entire collection is not worth one of my family members... even the dreaded "Uncle Duh"....

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 11-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Administrator

If I build it I "try" to fly it. If I take something rare, or something with a lot of time investment behind it to the field and the conditions aren't great then it stays in the back of the Explorer and looks pretty for another day. I've had too many nice finishes ruined by being dragged across a parking lot. I have other things to fly if the conditions are crappy.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Launching since 1975

If you're not going to launch it then you might as well buy a static plastic model from Revell or Airfix. The whole point of this hobby is to build flying models and see how they work in the air. However, it is reasonable to exercise caution in proportion to the time, effort and expense of your rocket. I have an Estes Saturn V that I've only launched 19 times in 13 years. If you're worried about losing them then try videotaping the launch so at least you can watch it over and over again and it won't feel like a total loss.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Craftsman

Really glad to hear that the family is safe and sound. I bet most of us can't imagine losing everything and having to start over such as yourselves. Good luck and stay strong.

As far as flying rockets and vintage stuff... Fly 'em if ya got 'em! Makes sense to use some discretion as far as conditions go, but don't let a good day hold ya back from launching anything. Especially now-a-days with the ability to clone almost anything. Might not be able to clone everything but it seems that list gets shorter every week. They are made to be 'flying model rockets'...
NAR #93503
MASA section 576
SAM #0316