Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2018, 11:32 AM
Avid Builder

Default Three Saturn 1Bs

Not a build thread per se, since I get so involved with the builds that I forget to take pictures along the way, but I wanted to share this with my fellow forum members. I have three Saturn 1Bs on my workbench: An Estes 1/100 clone, a Fliskits, and a Dr. Zooch. Some observations:

1. Estes 1/100 clone: The original kit has all specialty sized tubes. When a vintage kit comes up for bid on eBay it frequently goes for well over $100. I wanted to see if I could clone a facsimile using readily available tube sizes. This is what I used:

Original: Substitute:

BT-82 --- BT-80
BT-58 --- same
BT-54--- ST-11
BT-83--- ST-27
JT-82--- JT-80
BT-67 --- ST-20
BT-18 --- BT-19

Ordered the parts from erockets, and dry fitted them when they arrived. The original plastic fairing shroud was replaced with a cardstock one downsized from the 1/70 plans. The plastic Apollo capsule and LES tower were out of stock at Estes, so I replaced it with a polyurethane resin one piece capsule from moldin Oldies at Sirius. It's heavier and more durable than the original. An added benefit is that it will require less nose ballast due to it's heavier weight.

Wouldn't you know but after I fitted the parts and was congratulating myself for my ingenuity, I found a nine year old thread where the OP did mostly the same thing:

http://oldrocketforum.com/showthrea...65&page=1&pp=10

From this thread I found out about the vacu-form styrene wraps that Paul Graf (grafgulch) makes for this model. Ordered a set, pictured below. Highly recommended.

2. Fliskits Saturn 1B: Ever since my return as a BAR about 3 or 4 years ago I have been wanting one of these, but it was always not available. Finally, when Jim Flis announced a limited run prior to his final closing, I jumped on it and ordered one. Looks like constructing the launch tower from the thin plastic rods will be very challenging. I have the cardstock tower (the "easy" option) as a backup.

3. Dr. Zooch Sat 1B: Every time I do a Zooch kit I learn something new! In this case the eight fuel tubes were made of pre-printed cardstock wrapped around a dowel and glued at the seam. No painting or masking. The launch tower on this will also be a challenge, but again, I have the cardstock one for backup in case I mess up.

Will be updating this thread as the builds progress. Wish me luck. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20181107_015441.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  675.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20181107_063316.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  387.5 KB