Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2007, 02:28 AM
Craftsman

Question 3-engine Cluster Ignition

rd: I HAVE A 40+ INCH "HOME DESIGN" AND HAVE ASKED A LOT PEOPLE ABOUT IGNITORS. wHAT COMES WITH THE ESTES ENGINE? iS IT A "SOLAR IGNITOR"? MOST HAVE SAID A 12 V SYSTEM, A "CLIP WHIP," (KEEP ENGINES WIRED IN PARALLEL); & NEW MOTORS, AND SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS. oNLY OTHER THING i PLAN ON DOING IS EXTENDING LENGTH OF IGNITORS. wHAT DO U THINK? hAVEN'T LAUNCHED IT IN OVER 20 YEARS?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:11 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Yes, they are basically solar igniters.

If the motors are close enough together, I've had good success with just twisting the leads together on both two and three motor clusters, making sure the igniters end up wired in parallel. Then I just clip the controller leads to the twisted igniter leads as usual.

And yes, use a 12 volt launch controller.

Also, um, please don't type in all caps. It hurts my eyes.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 10-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Launching since 1970.

Attention old people:

As semi-vaguely-stated on TRF, please stop telling newcomers to use "Solar Igniters". They were not flying model rockets in the 1970's and have not seen the term "Solar Igniter". Estes stopped using that trade name decades ago.

Just say "Estes Igniters" if you want to instruct newbies about the standard low-power igniters that Estes sells for and includes with their motors.

I'm 49 , but I know better.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmtn
rd: I HAVE A 40+ INCH "HOME DESIGN" AND HAVE ASKED A LOT PEOPLE ABOUT IGNITORS. wHAT COMES WITH THE ESTES ENGINE? iS IT A "SOLAR IGNITOR"? MOST HAVE SAID A 12 V SYSTEM, A "CLIP WHIP," (KEEP ENGINES WIRED IN PARALLEL); & NEW MOTORS, AND SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS. oNLY OTHER THING i PLAN ON DOING IS EXTENDING LENGTH OF IGNITORS. wHAT DO U THINK? hAVEN'T LAUNCHED IT IN OVER 20 YEARS?

If you want to know more about clustering, call Estes customer service dept (1-800-525-7561 X-216) and ask for a copy of the instructions for the 2192 Thunderstar and the 2119 36 D Square kits.
the instructions will shed some light on clustering.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Here's an old TR for clustering......
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Estes - TR-6 Clustering Report 1963.pdf (406.0 KB, 159 views)
Old 10-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Here's an old TR for clustering......

Or here:

http://www.esteseducator.com/content/publications.php

It is #14 (along with some other good stuff).
Old 10-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Craftsman

Wink 3- engine cluster

Didn't know typing in "caps" would stir up so much contravercy. For all those with "sore eyes," here u r. Don sent me an old estes TR-6 report on clustering. It shows how a "clip whip" is made. Interesting part is "2sets of 3 clips each." Sure is a lot of wire. Another report was sent, showing a short cut. simply twist three leads/ 1/2igniter together in middle. so 1 launcher lead hooks up here. The rest of the clip whip has two more alligator clips. simply twist remaining igniter 1/2s together, for a total of 3. Problem I found is, estes igniers very fragile. Just ordered 6 Q2 igniters, which r much stronger with the glass bead. Will post results of 1st launch in 25 years here, in a few weeks. Want to try and video tape too.
As far as fin design goes, this too has stirred up some interest. Not sure I want to "kit it," as some have suggested. This design is so unique I've never seen it on any design. I guess what I'm asking is a vote. If enough people respond, I'll draw up plans and just post for all those interested in building an "off-set" fin set. This config does a 180 degree roll and has two "outboard jato boosters."
So lets hear from you, OK?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:37 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

This is a 95% BAR forum, thusly the vast majority of those on the site know what "Solar Igniters" are.
At any rate, if the one posing a question happens to be a newbie, they would ask what is a Solar Igniter and would get a small history lesson.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-02-2007, 11:31 PM
B.A.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmtn
This design is so unique I've never seen it on any design. I guess what I'm asking is a vote. If enough people respond, I'll draw up plans and just post for all those interested in building an "off-set" fin set. This config does a 180 degree roll and has two "outboard jato boosters."
So lets hear from you, OK?

Sounds interesting and cool,... you have my vote!
Old 10-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
This is a 95% BAR forum, thusly the vast majority of those on the site know what "Solar Igniters" are.
At any rate, if the one posing a question happens to be a newbie, they would ask what is a Solar Igniter and would get a small history lesson.

As an aside, what's the difference between a "solar igniter" and the old "Astron igniters"? My original launch kit I got when I was 12 had the "solar launch controller" and thus used "solar igniters". I think I remember reading that the Astron were only good for 12V systems, but the solar could/can do both, and so I'm curious why they sold both for a time? Was it simply to let supplies run out?

-Tim