Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > For Sale
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Born Again Rocketeer.....Again!!!

Default Information needed....

Hi all, I don't know if there is a particular thread area for this, but where could I find information on the possible value of a classic kit? I just picked up a Star Wars 15th anniversary edition of the Tie Fighter (EST 2102) at a small hobby shop in town. Are there any price guides or appraisal sites that would have projected values of classic kits? I wish I had older kits than that, but then I don't know if I could part with them then.

Your help would be great!!!

Rick

Last edited by TXFergie : 04-29-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Rick this is old and hardly up to date but it gives you an idea what a lot of stuff is worth.

http://members.aol.com/djadamson9/rocest.html

As for the Star Wars stuff...well, you have to decide what it's worth to you.

Most serious collectors are not interested in the Star Wars models and when they came out Estes basically flooded the market with them.

I remember one discount toy store, I think it was K&S Toys, had the Darth Vader Tie fighters for $1 each or 3 for $5. Some absurdly cheap price.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 04-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

I think they're fetching between $15 and $25 on E-bay
Old 04-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Rick this is old and hardly up to date but it gives you an idea what a lot of stuff is worth.

http://members.aol.com/djadamson9/rocest.html

As for the Star Wars stuff...well, you have to decide what it's worth to you.

Most serious collectors are not interested in the Star Wars models and when they came out Estes basically flooded the market with them.

I remember one discount toy store, I think it was K&S Toys, had the Darth Vader Tie fighters for $1 each or 3 for $5. Some absurdly cheap price.

This would be the first generationn of Star Wars kits, the most recent came out in 1999, and failed .

They ended up in dollar stores.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Hooked Badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFergie
Hi all, I don't know if there is a particular thread area for this, but where could I find information on the possible value of a classic kit? I just picked up a Star Wars 15th anniversary edition of the Tie Fighter (EST 2102) at a small hobby shop in town. Are there any price guides or appraisal sites that would have projected values of classic kits? I wish I had older kits than that, but then I don't know if I could part with them then.

Your help would be great!!!

Rick

So. Are you a born again rocketeer or a born again profiteer?

How about building and flying them?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:38 PM
Born Again Rocketeer.....Again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikus
So. Are you a born again rocketeer or a born again profiteer?

I am all for building them and flying them. I just didn't know if these "commemerative" , "special edition" , or "anniversary" kits are worth anything. I'd hate to open a $10 rocket and find it fetching $150-$200 down the road. Always have to find a return in something. Besides, once I get my ten other rockets built then I may tear into the Tie Fighter.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Hooked Badly

Quote:
I am all for building them and flying them. I just didn't know if these "commemerative" , "special edition" , or "anniversary" kits are worth anything. I'd hate to open a $10 rocket and find it fetching $150-$200 down the road. Always have to find a return in something. Besides, once I get my ten other rockets built then I may tear into the Tie Fighter.

Fair enough. From what I've seen it depends on the kit. Star Wars & Star Trek kits, not so much. Apollo 11 kits, over $100.

It would have been interesting to see what the cancelled "5 decades of Estes " (yeah I didn't have a better name) did to the value of vintage editions of those kits.

Ebay is a good indicator. Some of that list posted earlier is pretty close. Some of the listings, like this, are just plain silly.

Maxi V-2, #1267 6 [189]... 216 ...[243]

Good luck.

Last edited by Mikus : 04-30-2008 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Me Typo Gud!
Old 04-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Master Modeler

I recently picked up the Estes Star Wars 15th anniversary R2-D2 and X-wing fighter together for $19.05 for both shipped.

They usually go for $20-$25 each shipped. The Tie Fighter goes for around $19 shipped.

I purchased them to build and launch. Most people get a kick out of seeing them fly. As for collectibility, time will tell. They are Estes rockets and also associated with (I think) the third highest grossing film series of all time.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:

Those kits seem to be in abundace yet. I know of two LHS (Local Hobby Shops) that still have them for the original price. One even has like 5 or 6 of them.

Go ahead and build it. If they have two buy the second one and save it for 30 years and see.I don't think they are that expensive.

It's like any "collectable'. What is it worth to you? If it's worth more to build and fly it then go ahead but the 25th anniversery kits have no special significance.

http://sandmandecals.com/