Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2015, 12:55 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default How to repair engine mounting system in Big Bertha

Hi all,

I'm a VERY casual builder and claim no expertise. My engine mount in my Big Bertha was damaged and needs to be replaced. I managed to get the unit out, but I don't know how to replace it. Does Estes sell replacement parts like that? Also, I can't quite remember the build. I'm assuming I just put glue on the cardboard washer things and position the unit in place to dry in the body tube. Is that right...?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2015, 01:16 PM
BP Mafia

Sand as much of the old glue and cardboard from inside the tube as possible, then rebuild the mount and slide it in. This would be a good time to upgrade the recovery system if you have a mind to with Kevlar. The parts should be easy to find. Two CR-2060 rings, an 18mm engine hook, a 520 engine block and a length of BT-20 would be all you need. As for length on the BT-20, the normal 2.75" length should work fine, but some opt for a longer piece of BT-20 to fill a little more of the Bertha body tube to make it easier for the ejection charge to push out the recovery system. Check Semroc for the parts. If you want to go the Kevlar route, PM me with your address and I'll sent you a yard. I have a "little" extra.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 05-31-2015, 04:55 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Sand as much of the old glue and cardboard from inside the tube as possible, then rebuild the mount and slide it in. This would be a good time to upgrade the recovery system if you have a mind to with Kevlar. The parts should be easy to find. Two CR-2060 rings, an 18mm engine hook, a 520 engine block and a length of BT-20 would be all you need. As for length on the BT-20, the normal 2.75" length should work fine, but some opt for a longer piece of BT-20 to fill a little more of the Bertha body tube to make it easier for the ejection charge to push out the recovery system. Check Semroc for the parts. If you want to go the Kevlar route, PM me with your address and I'll sent you a yard. I have a "little" extra.
Dogcaller, You can't get a much better description of the repair than that. That said, my only different thought is to upgrade to a larger motor mount. So that'd be a BT-50 tube with CR-50-60 rings. But otherwise about the same process.

With that, you can fly some D motors, and maybe some E's. But it goes way up there on a D12, and about out of sight on E's, so take some young eyes with you to the rocket range

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 05-31-2015, 04:57 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Not to rain on the parade,

Didn't the older/original Big Berthas have an engine mount that included a coupler between the centering rings? If you look inside and see a short length (about 2") of black phenolic or unsealed paper tubing, then you may have to go a different route replacing the engine mount.

If you have such a piece in there, then I'd use a longer stuffer tube and preglue the top centering ring in place (with some kevlar like Bill suggested) and then slide this down from the top of the body tube to meet the lower centering ring glued in place at the bottom. It might be a little tricky but doable.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 05-31-2015, 07:13 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Dogcaller, You can't get a much better description of the repair than that. That said, my only different thought is to upgrade to a larger motor mount. So that'd be a BT-50 tube with CR-50-60 rings. But otherwise about the same process.

With that, you can fly some D motors, and maybe some E's. But it goes way up there on a D12, and about out of sight on E's, so take some young eyes with you to the rocket range

A Mini-Broadsword.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 05-31-2015, 07:16 PM
the middle-aged rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Not to rain on the parade,

Didn't the older/original Big Berthas have an engine mount that included a coupler between the centering rings? If you look inside and see a short length (about 2") of black phenolic or unsealed paper tubing, then you may have to go a different route replacing the engine mount.

If you have such a piece in there, then I'd use a longer stuffer tube and preglue the top centering ring in place (with some kevlar like Bill suggested) and then slide this down from the top of the body tube to meet the lower centering ring glued in place at the bottom. It might be a little tricky but doable.

Wow! you're really going way back! for many years the Big bertha mount has been a BT-20B(8 5/8") and 2 centering rings, with a motor hook. I recall buying a Big Bertha starter set around 1990 and it having that set-up. I believe the coupler disappeared sometime circa 1980's.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:24 PM
the middle-aged rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
Wow! you're really going way back! for many years the Big bertha mount has been a BT-20B(8 5/8") and 2 centering rings, with a motor hook. I recall buying a Big Bertha starter set around 1990 and it having that set-up. I believe the coupler disappeared sometime circa 1980's.

Here's what I bought then:

http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/estes/est1948.pdf
Old 05-31-2015, 07:48 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Yes, Yes . . . I go waaay back . . . I know, I know. . . I'm old.

Trust me, I know.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 05-31-2015, 08:00 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Yes, Yes . . . I go waaay back . . . I know, I know. . . I'm old.

Trust me, I know.

LOL I was thinking like you do, Mark...

Guess my age is showing...

Later! OL JR
Old 05-31-2015, 09:49 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec

I believe it changed in the mid 70's from the coupler style to the current style.
The coupler style mount remained popular in several Centuri kits until the end.