Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 10:00 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Oh, boy! Don't you know it!!! Ol' Ed there carried a pretty good assortment looks like. I bet the boys in Phoenix loved dealers like Ed! Gave him a pretty good stroke there in that Dealer News spot as well!

They probably did until several years ago. The Hobby Bench store in NE Phoenix/Scottsdale had a really great selection and I would go out of my way to drop by whenever I was passing through.

When I was a kid, the Toys by Roy in the shopping mall was the gold standard, with the entire Estes product line (unfortunately no Centuri but sometimes MPC), every plastic kit in production, lots of balsa airplanes, labware, etc. The first time I visited that Hobby Bench location, I thought I had stepped through a time machine.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 06-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Anyone here local to the greater Phoenix area that might be familiar with the location described above as the site of the former Centuri motor plant (not the older Mini-Max plant that once existed on now-current airport property)?

I'd like to try to obtain a current-day photo of the site either by someone in person or via Google streetview, if I knew it's exact location.

Thanks,

Earl

Earl,

Just call Lee Piester at his Hooby shop. He only has 2 remainig and you can catch him early in the week (maybe) at Hobby Bench on Bell Road: (602) 547-1828.

Betty Piester is always at their distribution warehouse and Lee is there from time to time. IIRC the name is: American Hobbycraft Distributors - (602) 861-1239

They both are very nice people!

Yep all that stuff from the 60's is long gone and paved over with condos and airport.

Why oh why don't we ever see anything about model rocketry on the PBS Antique Road show?

I spoke to an appraiser for the show once, and basically because there just ins't anything ever brought in.

This will lead me to make another posting ... I have been selected to receive tickets for the Road Show but in Pittsburg PA later this year ... I applied for Phoenix Road Show but didn't get tickets. I was going to take some of my hard core stuff and ask the Piesters if they wanted me to take anything to the show... maybe next time.

J
Old 06-08-2011, 11:00 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The Enerjet 1340 was available before the Argus, thus it IS the "Enerjet" fin can
Enerjet motors first were available in 1971, with the kits following in 1972.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

I found my factory sealed Centuri Eagle Power Starter Set while looking for something else.

I thought a picture of it would go well in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri Eagle Power Starter Set.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  735.2 KB  
Old 06-17-2011, 12:42 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
I found my factory sealed Centuri Eagle Power Starter Set while looking for something else.

I thought a picture of it would go well in this thread.

Yeah, that fits in this thread REAL well!

That was my first starter set. I was looking for a sealed set of the same here 4-5 years ago and checked in with Danny Sagstetter who I thought might be one of the few collectors who would possess such an item. He did have one, in sealed condition. Short story even shorter: that sealed set now resides in my collection.

Danny is a real nice guy to deal with and did me a favor by digging it out of his vast collection.

I remember being somewhat disappointed when I bought my original set in '76 that the blast deflector was not flat black (as shown on the box) like the earlier Centuri deflectors of that type had been. Mine was just natural finish steel (still have it).

I found out after I flew my first few D motors off that pad (a couple years later) that a heavy rocket on a D motor (a bit longer duration of exhaust impingement on the deflector) would actually cause a small bit of a heat-warpage dimple in the metal. This was loooong before I flew my first composite motors, but I was 'proud' of those little dimples in that deflector: I had flown a "Mighty D" motor!!! So was the pride of a 14 year old kid....

Thanks for the photo post Bob!

Earl

P.S.--A few months after getting that shrink-wrapped Eagle Power set from Danny, I picked up the bigger brother "Big Shot" set (same as Eagle Power, but included the Excalibur kit and two more motors), shrink-wrapped, off eBay for only something like $36. Go figure.
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970