Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2005, 11:24 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Question Need Enerjet Athena clone power suggestions

hello all !
I need some reccommendations for a "first flight" motor for my Enerjet Athena clone.
The original used the long defunct (and 'collector' motors are WAY too costly) E24, F52, and F67 series Enerjet composite motors. I definitely do NOT want to use something as healthy as the old F67 for a first flight.
I need some suggestions.
I was thinking about purchasing the Aerotech RMS 24/40 and using the E18 or F39 or an Estes E9-4 or D12-3
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, I'm trying to decide of whether I want my Enerjet Athena clone to use the 'original' style 29mm motor mount, or if I want to use a 24mm motor mount. The 24mm mount is easy, I have semroc centering rings for a BT-50 in a Centuri "16" tube. I have not been able to find centering rings for a 29mm mount in a Centuri "16" tube.

Pros of 24mm: Easy to make engine mount, able to use up to an Aerotech 24mm "F" engine as well as Estes BP D & E motors
Cons of 24mm: Not the original engine diameter which detracts from the "clone", would not be able to use "G" power if desired.

Pros of 29mm: Many more F & G motor choices in this size, is the original Enerjet size, and can adapt down to 24mm with a conversion mount.

Cons of 29mm: I can't seem to find any centering rings for 29mm in a Centuri size "16" tube.

I'm at the point of my clone where I need to build/insert the motor mount.

Last edited by ghrocketman : 08-02-2005 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Master Modeler

Put in a 29mm mount. You can have BMS make the rings for you, or you can order an extra set of BT-50 / ST-16 rings and modify them.

As you suggest, if you want to fly with 24mm motors you can alway use an adaptor.

An E30-4, or equivalent reload (E28?) would make for a nice first flight. An E18 might do the job if it is not too windy.