Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2018, 08:25 AM
Surfrajettes Fan

For those unfamiliar:

The failure mode on the 18mm X-15 was ballistic recovery. The engine was positively retained by the plastic retainer, but was very loosely held in place and the ejection charge was vented around the engine rather than pushing out the parachute. Keep in mind that it's a relatively heavy injection-molded RTF. It also needed at least a half ounce of clay up front as it was, to paraphrase GH, unpredictable, off the pad.

It didn't come with clay and it needed a proper engine mount.

The rocket was subject of a consumer recall. - if you sent it back to Estes, they'd send you some plastic flying saucer. I just kept mine and flew it around the house making whoosing noises when no one's around.

Supposedly, a Cub Scout got hit by one that penetrated his torso under his arm pit and had to have it surgically removed. Not Estes' finest hour. . . .

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 06-01-2018, 09:28 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
For those unfamiliar:

The failure mode on the 18mm X-15 was ballistic recovery. The engine was positively retained by the plastic retainer, but was very loosely held in place and the ejection charge was vented around the engine rather than pushing out the parachute. Keep in mind that it's a relatively heavy injection-molded RTF. It also needed at least a half ounce of clay up front as it was, to paraphrase GH, unpredictable, off the pad.

The rocket was subject of a consumer recall. - if you sent it back to Estes, they'd send you some plastic flying saucer. I just kept mine and flew it around the house making whoosing noises when no one's around.

Supposedly, a Cub Scout got hit by one that penetrated his torso under his arm pit and had to have it surgically removed. Not Estes' finest hour. . . .

I wondered if that was the same one... now I know.

How'd all that turn out in the end?? Prognosis and recovery (of the boy)? Lawsuits?

Later! OL J R
Old 06-01-2018, 03:14 PM
Craftsman

Default Nose ballast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
It also needed at least a half ounce of clay up front as it was, to paraphrase GH, unpredictable, off the pad.

I am no expert on the history and variations of the Estes X-15s, but the last one that I handled had a steel nose weight.

These old models are probably worth more as collectables than fly-able rockets, if they are in any kind of nice condition.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:01 AM
Master Modeler

I'll keep an eye out for the retainer but that may be like trying to find a unicorn.

The one I have is the ready to fly Cox version I bought about 20 years ago. It was very difficult to load the chute and on the 3 flights it made the chute only fully deployed once. The other two flights, it hung up after popping the nc;, smacking the ground like a mortar but with NO damage.

It flew beautifully and looked great but after 3 flights I decided we wouldn't fly it again. It is risky at best. Wear a helmet and shoulder pads.

About 10 years ago Estes recalled their X-15 which means you can't fly it at a NAR sanctioned launch. Of course you could fly it on your own.

Here's the info on recall:
1. X-15 RTF Flying Model Rocket Model #1890
2. X-15 RTF Flying Model Rocket Starter Set Model #1412

I'm sure if you Google it there's additional info.

Randy
http://www.vernarockets.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O14ET8K
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CX1UPCG
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C95BNQH
Old 06-20-2018, 09:49 PM
BP Mafia

I went with the new motor tube option. The tube slid right in and held fairly firmly, but some plastic cement was also slathered around the outside of the end of the motor tube, so it shouldn't be going anywhere. There should be an opportunity for a B6-4 Field launch in my near future.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper