Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2011, 03:32 PM
J Man Forever

Default Decals for Launch Pad Rockets

I know that Excelsior makes decals for some of the Launch Pad kits, but I am looking for some decals to put on my Lance. I don't have an ALPS printer, so I can't print white. I was thinking about using the Maxi Brute Honest John decals that Excelsior sells, but I am not sure of the size. Any suggestions?
Old 04-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Rocket Dad

See if Excelsior will make them for you or check with Mark at Stickershock23. I had some correspondence with Gordon today. He has family in town so he may not get right back to you.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Johnny
I know that Excelsior makes decals for some of the Launch Pad kits, but I am looking for some decals to put on my Lance. I don't have an ALPS printer, so I can't print white. I was thinking about using the Maxi Brute Honest John decals that Excelsior sells, but I am not sure of the size. Any suggestions?

Just tell me what you want.

I am about to give up on drawing up any more decals for Launch Pad kits.

I really don't see the point in working my tail off drawing up decals for products whose future seems iffy at best to me.

Honestly since I added a bunch of Launch Pad decal sets and posted them on my web site I am not getting much responce when it comes to sales.

I seem to be selling more Enerjet decals.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 04-22-2011, 04:37 PM
J Man Forever

I really don't need much. I think the Honest John Maxi Brute decals would work just fine. As long as they are white as I plan to paint the Lance in drab olive. All I really need is something that says U.S. ARMY and maybe some detail stuff, both in white. I am not a perfectionist by any means.

On another subject, I see that you used to offer some Nike Hercules kits that are now listed as out of stock and a Nike Ajax kit that is out of production. What is the future of these kits? They look awful nice. I am considering purchasing a Launch Pad Nike Ajax, but I have heard some less than positive things about The Launch Pad kits in regards to stablility and other issues. I just purchased the Lance and Perseus off of e-bay cuz I got a decent deal on them. I would be interested in hearing your opinion.

I am going to attach a picture of a Canadian Arrow that I modified into a German Wasserfall missile. Unfortunately, the tail end got scorched when the nozzle blew out on the pad and I didn't have enough clearance before the blast plate. The pictures are prior to the damage. Again, I would appreciate your comments on this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2564.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  45.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2563.JPG
Views: 49
Size:  68.1 KB  
Old 04-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

The technical "stuff" on the Honest John would be a bit off but probably usable. As long as nobody gets within 4" and reads it.

Even so, how would they know?

The Maxi Brute Honest John decals would even be the right size.

I have a few of the larger (37" tall) Nike Hercules kits left.

I just haven't done any of the smaller ones yet.

So how stable was the Wasserfall?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Honest John.JPG
Views: 55
Size:  59.9 KB  

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 04-22-2011, 04:57 PM
J Man Forever

Unfortunately, the Wasserfall only flew once before it got scorched, but it was very stable. I do have another Canadian Arrow kit that I have considered using to make another Wasserfall, but I haven't decided yet. I always feel like I would never be able to achieve the same results. The same goes for the V-2 I produced with another Canadian Arrow. I don't know how I pulled off the camoflaged paint job. I even used the actual camo template that I found on the internet. The colors aren't exact, but it still looks good. It has also flown well. I will do some thinking about the Nike kit you have available.

As far as the "detail" of the Honest John decals vs the Lance, I know nobody will realize the difference. Heck, even if they said Honest John on them (which I am pretty sure they don't), nobody is going to call me on it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_1454.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  98.0 KB  
Old 04-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Rocket Dad

Really nice looking builds. Did you have to fill the nose of the Wasserfall with lead to keep it stable with all that forward fin?
Old 04-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Master Modeler

The Launch Pad "US Army" is about three times too large for the missile. The Little John used large font; all the tactical Lance images that I have seen the markings were very small indeed.

Also a tip to tail of the missile here.

http://www.wedaa.com/eric/am/am_lance/index.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  national_atomic_museum_lance_7.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  25.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  MGM52ALance01.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  11.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  mgm52.JPG
Size:  24.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  M66751-1.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  49.4 KB  
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 04-22-2011, 05:58 PM
J Man Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo
Really nice looking builds. Did you have to fill the nose of the Wasserfall with lead to keep it stable with all that forward fin?

I remember packing some clay weight in the nose, but nothing out of the ordinary. I have built a couple of "scratch" rockets, but most of my builds are just like they look on the package. I have changed the paint job or color scheme on a couple. I do have an Arapahoe E that I just finished the detail work on. I loved the rocket, but I decided to print some decals of my own. Here is a couple of more pics. The Arapahoe E and The U.S.S. Guido.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_8372.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  115.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_8378.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  602.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_8381.JPG
Size:  91.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_8382.JPG
Views: 48
Size:  470.4 KB  
Old 04-22-2011, 06:10 PM
J Man Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
The Launch Pad "US Army" is about three times too large for the missile. The Little John used large font; all the tactical Lance images that I have seen the markings were very small indeed.

Also a tip to tail of the missile here.

http://www.wedaa.com/eric/am/am_lance/index.html

I see what you mean. I will still probably go with the larger logo. If I was really looking for scale, I might be pickier. As it is, as long as it says U.S. ARMY in white, it should be ok. I promise not to claim it as scale. I really appreciate your input. I am new to this forum (actually, any forum) so it is nice to know that there are good people out there to help me out. Thanks.