Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2014, 07:03 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Congrats, tbzep, on your son completing the requirements for an engineering degree.

One thing that I have found with new engineering grads is the disillusionment that they are going to se the world on fire in their first assignment. That just does not happen.
I have been an engineer for a LONG time, and that is one issue universities need to prepare students for.
The first and probably second assignments grads will have out of college will be fairly boring with lots of low-level menial tasks, lots of oversight, and little authority. I have trained/mentored many recent grads on their first assignment...most are great but there are a few with bad attitudes that wash out quickly.

Is your son a ME, EE, CE, or CompE grad ?

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 12-19-2014, 07:27 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Terry Kossel made a nice Little Joe II kit. I think he did them in the early 2000s. I am pretty sure that was his name. I should still have the instructions in the file cabinet. It was based on 4" phenolic tubing with a 24mm motor mount. The wrap around the bottom came pre laminated and was from Evergreen plastic I think. There were some nice resin parts as well. I have one that I built back then and flew the heck out of on 24mm Aerotech reloads. I have been going to make a new wrap for the service section and basically make it pretty again but it seems to set in the back of my display case.

I just came across one of Terry Kosel's LJ II kits, NIB, in my basement. The box has I believe a '99 shipping timestamp on it. I wonder what that will bring on the bay?
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 12-19-2014, 07:36 PM
Level 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I just came across one of Terry Kosel's LJ II kits, NIB, in my basement. The box has I believe a '99 shipping timestamp on it. I wonder what that will bring on the bay?

Skip the bay and sell it to me. PM me.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:46 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Congrats, tbzep, on your son completing the requirements for an engineering degree.

One thing that I have found with new engineering grads is the disillusionment that they are going to se the world on fire in their first assignment. That just does not happen.
I have been an engineer for a LONG time, and that is one issue universities need to prepare students for.
The first and probably second assignments grads will have out of college will be fairly boring with lots of low-level menial tasks, lots of oversight, and little authority. I have trained/mentored many recent grads on their first assignment...most are great but there are a few with bad attitudes that wash out quickly.

Is your son a ME, EE, CE, or CompE grad ?

Computer Engineering. Don't worry about disillusionment. I've already told him he'll probably end up wiping viruses off computers in the back room of a barber shop for the first year or two until he can get an entry level job somewhere.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:17 PM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Terry Kossel made a nice Little Joe II kit.

I got one of those, and hadn't built it. Since it was languishing in my basement, I decided to give it to Sport Rocketry editor Tom Beach, who is a HUGE fan of the Little Joe II. He built it "all up", i.e., with all the engines used in the actual flight, including an airstart. He flew it at the NARAM-53 sport launch, with perfect results. A fine model, indeed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Flight01.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  164.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Flight02.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  35.9 KB  
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org
Old 12-19-2014, 08:38 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNoir
I got one of those, and hadn't built it. Since it was languishing in my basement, I decided to give it to Sport Rocketry editor Tom Beach, who is a HUGE fan of the Little Joe II. He built it "all up", i.e., with all the engines used in the actual flight, including an airstart. He flew it at the NARAM-53 sport launch, with perfect results. A fine model, indeed!

Beautiful model ... Great launch pics!

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 12-20-2014, 01:57 PM
Rocket & RC Heli Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
My son built the cardstock LJII about 6 or 7 years ago. He built the LES tower out of dowels and set it up for flight. BTW, he just graduated with an engineering degree!

It's a great demo rocket for small spaces.....low and slow with a B6-4. Launch pics here:
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...light=cardstock

Very nice! Ton designs his models to fly. I used Q-tips to construct my LES tower.
"A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."