Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Default Googling Contest Products

Among the old stuff we'll be selling through auctions on eBay are several items from Contest Products of Fanwood, NJ. Most of the items are thin plastic parachutes. One is a package of blue "tracking powder" which we currently have up for auction.

So, I decided to see what I could find out about Contest Products through the oracle we call Google. The first reference I found is in a YORF post:

Quote:
I wrote: "Gary Lindgren (?) has a small company around the 1970-74 time frame. I can not remember the company name, but I do have one of his small mylar parachutes in a stapled package. It may have been a free sample. I will try and find it, but I recall him advertising in Model Rocketry magazine."

The company was Contest Products.

Still haven't found the parachute, but did find references in the 1971 NARAM issue of Model Rocketry magazine.

The reference is on page 39 in the October 1971 issue of Model Rocketry:

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/Mo...04n01_10-71.pdf

It's page 41 of the PDF under "New Product Notes."

A photo of Gary Lindgren's V-2 appears on page 20 of the November 1970 issue of Model Rocketry. Gary himself is pictured on the next page receiving a trophy:

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/Mo...03n02_11-70.pdf

There's also a photo in that issue of him preparing a two-stage rocket using gap staging.

Well, that's all I could find about Contest Products. Not much ....

-- Roger