Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2011, 02:35 AM
Paper Rocketeer

OK - here are a couple diamond packs to print onto card stock and assemble. Be sure to score along the white lines and also from diamond point to diamond point along the tube - these are the fold lines.

As I said before, these aren't exact - I don't have the exact font that was used, and my graphics aren't perfect either. But they are a pretty good replica. As with the boxes, I included both A8-3 and B6-4 diamond pack. If people are interested, I can do more, but only two fit on a page. Remember to turn off paper scaling when printing these out.

Anyone want to try to build a rocket out of one of these?

Greg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf diamond pack 1.pdf (142.3 KB, 121 views)
Old 09-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Thanks for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I checked the Model Rocketeer back issues and it was in the March, 1977 issue that covered the annual hobby show that year (held in Houston that year instead of Chicago). It does mention the new blister packs Estes had introduced for their motors.

Earl

Thanks to all for the information. It was just a curiosity of mine. I started in the hobby Christmas of 1973, and remember the first few years receiving engines in the blue diamond boxes, but could not remember when they were phased out.

Dan
Old 09-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Forest Sprite

So they were used from 1971 to 1977? No wonder I never saw them. Seems like I chose the wrong time (1971-2004) to go on an extended furlough from the hobby. That's one more thing I missed.

Does anyone else remember receiving their Estes engines/motors/toy propellant devices rolled up in newspaper in the box with the rest of their mail order?
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 09-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Does anyone else remember receiving their Estes engines/motors/toy propellant devices rolled up in newspaper in the box with the rest of their mail order?
Not me.

When I ordered motors/engines, I alway ordered in multiples of 3 since they were cheaper that way. I usually ordered 9 tubes at a time and they came in a box by themselves. At the time, they said that was the maximum they could ship in one box.

I still have one of those motor shipping boxes with a 1969 postmark on it.
NAR #62740 L1
AMA #46042
CMASS & RIMRA Member
Old 09-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Forest Sprite

I used to order two or three motors of different types because that was what I could afford on my lawn mowing average of $2/week back in junior high. When my friend and I would conduct a rocket launch, that was a literal description - it was a launch of a rocket. I don't think I ever launched more than two rockets on the same day, or more than two rockets in the same month, during that entire era.
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 09-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I used to order two or three motors of different types because that was what I could afford on my lawn mowing average of $2/week back in junior high. When my friend and I would conduct a rocket launch, that was a literal description - it was a launch of a rocket. I don't think I ever launched more than two rockets on the same day, or more than two rockets in the same month, during that entire era.
Wow. I was lucky that I had a daily paper route and a sunday paper route which earned me close to $10 a week. In the summer I had lawn mowing customers that were worth close to another $10. In the winter I shoveled snow and the money was good (in my eyes) but was sporatic depending on the weather.

My parents wanted me to put half in my savings account and the rest I could spend however I wanted. I usually saved that money and made several big orders rather than smaller ones. You got a free kit for every $5 you spent or you could get a bigger kit for spending $10 so a lot of my rockets were the bonus kits.
NAR #62740 L1
AMA #46042
CMASS & RIMRA Member
Old 09-14-2011, 03:32 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

When it came to hobbies growing up, I had the greatest parents in the world.
As long as I was willing to build them, they kept me suplied with kits.
Had an almost never ending motor supply as well....If I got down below two PAKS of the most popular engine choices, my dad took me to the hobby shop to get more, or he picked them up on his way home.
Launched almost every other week for several years during the spring/summer months growing up. I would have quickly got VERY bored with a launch of one rocket.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
I usually saved that money and made several big orders rather than smaller ones.
Oh, I did too, but $6-$7 orders were the big ones. In four years I think I sent four or maybe five orders to Estes, and a couple of them were in that range.

We had only just moved to that city (Grand Rapids, MI) and that neighborhood and didn't know anyone there. My rocket-launching buddy was the person who got me the $2/week lawn mowing job (as his assistant), and it was the only employment I was able to get during the three years that we lived there. When we subsequently moved to the Buffalo, NY area, I couldn't even get that kind of gig anymore. (Just as had been the case in our previous move, we knew no one there.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
You got a free kit for every $5 you spent or you could get a bigger kit for spending $10 so a lot of my rockets were the bonus kits.
Yes. Both my Astron Sprite and my Little Joe II were free kits. I bought and built a total of five rocket kits during that four year period.

Over that time span I launched my rockets around 6 to 8 times. My friend in Grand Rapids launched his Big Bertha twice during the time that I lived there.

My parents weren't involved in my model rocketry hobby. My parents were adamantly opposed to my involvement in rocketry and gave me several lectures on the subject. As a result, I engaged in it entirely on the sly during my youth. When some kids in my school were getting involved with alcohol and drugs, I was getting involved in model rocketry. I was made out to be just as much of an outlaw as they were, except that my interest was regarded as the odder, less comprehensible one.
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 09-15-2011, 01:40 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
-SNIP-
My parents weren't involved in my model rocketry hobby. My parents were adamantly opposed to my involvement in rocketry and gave me several lectures on the subject. As a result, I engaged in it entirely on the sly during my youth. When some kids in my school were getting involved with alcohol and drugs, I was getting involved in model rocketry. I was made out to be just as much of an outlaw as they were, except that my interest was regarded as the odder, less comprehensible one.
Would you care to describe their motivation(s) behind those lectures? Given that model rocketry was considered a great way to spark kids' interest in science and technology in those early years of the space age, I am genuinely curious about why they didn't see model rocketry in that light. (In contrast, my father was a Fire Chief--one of the *last* people one would expect to approve of such a fire-involved hobby--yet he was one of the earliest model rocketeers in Miami and enthusiastically engaged in the hobby all his life.)
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 09-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Master Modeler

This thread is why I think I waited so long to join the forum. My emotions cover the complete of feelings while remembering a much simpler time.

When I first saw the thread, I thought it was some strange esoteric motor mount or something and I'm confused. I start reading through the thread and see the pictures of the blue boxes and say, oh yea I remember those and a warm feeling starts to spread (and NO, I have not wet myself in my old age ). Then I remember my older half brother helping me build my first kit. The frustration of the rocket sitting on the top of my dresser for a long time cause he went back to college and mom and dad not having the time or knowledge to help launch it. Next my buddy from fourth grade and his brothers (who actually had a father who worked at NASA in Cleveland) who all got together and made a rocket club and the first launch (about twenty or so, basically till we ran out of engines). Then after he moved away, getting my other friends involved in rocketry, only to hear one smartazz continually ask me, "what would happen if we attached one hundred D engines to a mosquito?" (I could picture GH asking that question ). Then giving everything away cause I was going to Paris Island.

Sorry to ramble on and on. Anyway the good news and info I get here far outweigh the nostogalic regrets.

So now all I have to do is make like thirty of the D containers, clone a mosquito and find out where my old friend lives.

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.