Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Master Modeler

I think the bottom line is that most everyone ASSUMED that there was a difference. Bottom line, if you put a "B" motor in your rocket and it flew, who cared who made it as long as it performed as it was suppose to.

My father told me a story when he lived in California, he worked for a orange juice packing plant , one company making juice under 18 different brand labels.

In todays corporate world, who knows who makes what, especially with so many mergers and company "secrets".

I think we would all be amazed if we knew the backgrounds of many of our well known brands.

And in todays marketplace, you try to get as much business that you can, even if it's a rival.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
I think the bottom line is that most everyone ASSUMED that there was a difference. Bottom line, if you put a "B" motor in your rocket and it flew, who cared who made it as long as it performed as it was suppose to.

My father told me a story when he lived in California, he worked for a orange juice packing plant , one company making juice under 18 different brand labels.

In todays corporate world, who knows who makes what, especially with so many mergers and company "secrets".

I think we would all be amazed if we knew the backgrounds of many of our well known brands.

And in todays marketplace, you try to get as much business that you can, even if it's a rival.

I was in restaurant management for 20+ years (during the time I was AWOL from the hobby). I managed a Church's Chicken restaurant. After the company was bought out by
Al Copeland Enterprises (Popeyes) in 1989, ACE went somewhat belly up and was taken
over by another management firm that named itself American's Favorite Chicken (or
AFC). Many people (even employees) didn't know for a number of years that Church's
Chicken and Popeye's was really one company (our paychecks came from the same
HR facility).....
Old 04-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

On another forum, on a completely different topic, a poster stated:

Quote:
We, collectively as a society need to get away from the profit altar .. that is if it makes money then its ok.

... and I agree. Profit is nice, but it's not a justification.

Sorry for the threadjack... this is a topic that I've been hearing a lot about lately.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 07-05-2008, 01:44 PM
rocket dinosaur

I thought I would post this little historical nugget here as its Centuri/Enerjet replated and I am trying to keep related materials in similar posts instead of starting new posts, for later searches by historians of the 22nd century.

from the NAR In Action Column by Ron Wright , Model Rocketeer, July 1974:

"While on the subject of manufacturers, it has been learned from a very reliable source that it is true that the ENERJET Division of Centuri Engineering has been disbanded. This was an economic measure as this division was never a profit making venture.

However, the rumor that Centuri's engine making production has been transferred to Estes is completely false".

We now know, that at some time in the 74-75 timeframe, Centuri's motor making production was shipped to Penrose. I am trying to pinpiont this date more accurately.

If anybody has any additional time date about this please post.

I've also found additional Centuri/Enerjet tiem point data that I will post at a later date.

terry dean
Old 07-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Knuckle Draggin' Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
On another forum, on a completely different topic, a poster stated:

... and I agree. Profit is nice, but it's not a justification.

Sorry for the threadjack... this is a topic that I've been hearing a lot about lately.

If there is no profit, then there will not be much choice. Profit, or at least the intention of making one, is at the basis of ALL successful economic systems. No profit means no incentive and everyone does the bare minimum and nothing ever gets done.

The old Soviet bloc was a perfect example of this.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Profit as a motivator is fine. Profit motivates me to go to work. But when profit moves from motivation to religion, well, that's a problem. When you justify some bad act by saying "but we made a profit!" then we really have a problem.

When you go for the short-term profit instead of taking care of the customer, you will suffer in the long run. Many, many businesses are run this way. Many businesses fail this way.

But the head people? Why, they bail out before the business tanks, then get jobs doing the same frakking thing to another corporation.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org