Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 04:33 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
My first and only flight of a glider was an Edmonds Tinee. I used a 1/4 A 13mm enigine on its maiden flight. Upon ejection of the engine, it was just enought for it to land in a tree. It was a nice little kit and not that expensive I plan to get another.

The CiCi is also great. Mine has gotten stuck in the same tree twice and tumbled out the next day.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 07-16-2013, 02:40 AM
Forest Sprite

All of my gliders have been scratch-built from plans, and I have never put a drop of paint or any other kind of coating on any of them. I do carefully trim them so that they make respectable glides of 20-30 feet with hand tosses, but none of that is ever evident following a rocket-propelled boost into the sky. In the one good glide that I have gotten over the years the glider descended at about a 30-35 degree angle relative to the ground. The rest have been anywhere from 45 degree to over 60 degree parabolic flights. They have all been front-engine motor pop types like the Estes Falcon and the AMROCS Wombat. The one good glide was with the Wombat on a 1/2A6 and it had more than a little help from a gust of wind that blew across the field at just the right moment. I also tried several times to construct a flyable Astron Invader, tweaking the angle of the motor in relation to the wing, with zero success. (Every flight arced right into the ground under thrust, with the impact breaking the glider.)

I did build an Edmonds Micro Deltie once for competition, but upon ignition the glider shattered under the thrust of the 1/4A motor.

I don't know what kind of magical touch is required to get anything like these to glide following a boost into the sky; I have never been able to find a way to acquire it even though I have been diligently searching for it for years.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 07-16-2013, 03:28 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulldec
There is a wide range of boost gliders. Many kits are what I classify as "novelty" gliders. They look cool, you usually paint them (which makes them heavy) and they barely glide. They can be fun, but they aren't much of a true glider.

Kits like the Estes Tercel and Semroc (used to be a Centuri kit) Swift are more of a performance glider type design. They are a good way to get into performance type small gliders. Once you get them working, you may clone them with better balsa you can hand select.

If you want long durations, don't weigh you glider down with paint. One or two coats of model airplane dope thinned 50% is all you want. For color, you can use fat magic markers. It is not a show quality finish, but it works and weighs nothing.

I have gotten to where I will build 2 or 3 at a time. It doesn't really take a lot more time to build a couple than it does just one. That also gives you a spare in case it flies away.

Once you build them, you definitely need to trim them to fly nice. First you toss them and add weight to get them to glide straight. Start with it balancing about a 1/3 way back from the front edge of the wing (without the boost pod) You usually have to add weight (modeling clay) on the nose to make it stop stalling (it wants to climb, then dive, climb then dive). If it just wants to dive into the ground, add some tail weight, but that should not be the case with one of these models, check all the surface for warps, or things not glued correctly.

Now once it is flying straight, you want to make it turn in a circle or it will turn downwind and fly out of sight when you launch it. Sometimes there is enough asymmetry in the model that it will turn on its own. If so just work with that. If not, it is time to take matters into your own hands. Add a little weight to the wing tip. It will turn toward the heavier side. You will probably have to remove a little nose weight when you add that weight to the wing.

Keep tossing and adjusting until you get it flying the way you want. Then go launch. It helps to have a 4' rod or take your 3' rod and tape it to a 3' dowel stuck in the ground. That allows the glider to have more usable launch rod length to guide it and gives you a much better boost.

Have fun, gliders are the best!

Don
This all sounds so nice that I just about want to cry, because in the reality that I live in none of it ever, ever happens. I have been at this for eight years now.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 07-16-2013, 08:34 AM
NASA Ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
This all sounds so nice that I just about want to cry, because in the reality that I live in none of it ever, ever happens. I have been at this for eight years now.

Man, I can't imagine why you have such poor luck with your gliders. The Falcon and Wombat are not going to give you the best gliding performance, but they ought to do better than that!

Do you know anyone who flies gliders well, or can you take a model to a launch/contest where there are folks flying gliders? Most anyone I know who flies gliders would be more than happy to check out your model and see what's going on.

If you still want to give it a go, try the Tercel or Swift (front engine pop pod kits). For a minimal investment you can build one from the plans on the NAR boost glider page

There are some complex models there, but the Honeybee, Delta Z, and Flybaby look to be pretty simple. The Manta is a pretty bullet proof glider of modest capability. Many use it to insure a qualified flight and many have won contests with them.

There are articles on trimming and other techniques. Some of the other plans provide lots of detailed instructions for how to sand the airfoil and built the model that would apply to other designs.

You can do this.

Don
SAM#513
NAR #11069
Old 07-20-2013, 01:26 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Oh dear...both you *and* Solomoriah are experiencing this! I can think of one possible way out of this..."negative stasis" (for you, Solomoriah, and others who have difficulties with boost-gliders):

In his "Handbook of Model Rocketry," G. Harry Stine wrote about 'fair-weather models' and 'foul-weather models' where boost-gliders (B/Gs) are concerned. The slower-gliding fair-weather B/Gs are somewhat tricky to trim (and sometimes -very- tricky to trim). They also require calm or nearly-calm wind conditions. The faster-gliding 'foul-weather' B/Gs have higher wing loading (they are heavier and/or have smaller wings) and good wind penetration, and they are less prone to being 'upset' (knocked into a stall or spin during the glide) by changing wind currents aloft. Such B/Gs are usually easier to trim for a good glide, and they also have more stable boosts because of their higher wing loading. Also:

There are several 'foul-weather' boost-gliders that I think would work well for you. The Centuri Mini-Dactyl (see: http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...arts.asp?ID=591 [Semroc has *all* of its parts available!]) can fly with either one or both of its two delta wing/canard gliders, which makes it possible to simultaneously test two trimming techniques in one flight. The Centuri Hummingbird (see: http://plans.rocketshoppe.com/centu...F-2/cenKF-2.htm , https://sites.google.com/site/centurihummingbird/ , and http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...arts.asp?ID=566 ) is also a good 'foul-weather' B/G--it could also be flown with the streamer-recovered 13 mm motor mount that will come in Semroc's soon-to-be-released Red-Eye kit. The Estes Condor (see: http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...arts.asp?ID=134 [Semroc also makes its parts]) is another good one; being a parasite B/G that rides on the back of a large booster, it has straight and stable ascents.

I hope this information will be helpful.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 07-20-2013 at 01:27 AM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Master Modeler

I have had very good luck with the mini Dactyls. They are easy to build and trim.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:00 PM
Ciderwright

A Hummingbird clone flyway prompted this thread. I built it using the above recommended sites/plans, plus PDFs of the printed colors from another thread here at YORF.

I printed the parts with a laserprinter on wholesheet label stock, stuck it to heavy fiber file folders I found, and cut it out. Painted all none-printed surfaces - so a heavy glider.

Not (usually) a long flier. Fast. Makes sudden lateral moves than can make for a long walk. But it had some really cool flights - cruising level just above the orchard trees, with the delay smoke trail coming out so it _really_ looks like powered flight.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
I have had very good luck with the mini Dactyls. They are easy to build and trim.
Yes, that jibes with everything I've read about them; I have also read accounts about their excellent wind penetration and stability even on breezy days (they quickly point nose-first right into the wind and don't "bobble about" as many B/Gs do in such conditions). While I haven't built and flown a Mini-Dactyl yet (I'm going to order a set of Mini-Dactyl parts from Semroc next month...), I have built generally similar hand-launched gliders, and they performed as you--and the folks whose Mini-Dactyls I read about--described. Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
A Hummingbird clone flyway prompted this thread. I built it using the above recommended sites/plans, plus PDFs of the printed colors from another thread here at YORF.

I printed the parts with a laserprinter on wholesheet label stock, stuck it to heavy fiber file folders I found, and cut it out. Painted all none-printed surfaces - so a heavy glider.

Not (usually) a long flier. Fast. Makes sudden lateral moves than can make for a long walk. But it had some really cool flights - cruising level just above the orchard trees, with the delay smoke trail coming out so it _really_ looks like powered flight.
Heh, heh..."With a Centuri Hummingbird, who needs Jetex?" :-) This is another B/G I'd love to see Semroc release either as a "Retro-Repro" kit or an xKit. As spectacular as your "Jetex" flights with your Hummingbird clone were (hey, it's not like you did it on purpose :-) ), using a streamer-equipped 13 mm motor mount (like the Semroc Red-Eye's) with a bit of ballast on its top end would ensure high vertical ascents--but that would lengthen the recovery walk unless it was very calm and/or you used a low-impulse mini motor...hmmm...maybe backyard flights on 1/4A3-3Ts?
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 07-21-2013 at 08:56 AM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Ciderwright

The flyaway was on an A8-3. I find that no matter how straight it boosts, at the end of boost, it arches over backwards in a large loop and levels out sometime before ejection. Except the flyaway, which did a tight loop up high and then glided out of sight.

I've read about the loop over and glide behavior with another kind of ejection glider - but I can't recall which right now.

The BT-50 based Hummer Upscale I fly with an engine adapter that has a washer glued to the top. (And a streamer). Behaves the same. I think I've flown that one on a B - and fished it out of shrubs in an oak/hickory stand. Complete luck it didn't hang up higher.

I've two gliders I've had no luck with. My Ringhawk downscale does the sliding transition - but never seems to have any forward motion afterward - it just falls gently to earth. My Flying Stovepipe is great with hand tosses - but I can't get the booster to disengage.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
The flyaway was on an A8-3. I find that no matter how straight it boosts, at the end of boost, it arches over backwards in a large loop and levels out sometime before ejection. Except the flyaway, which did a tight loop up high and then glided out of sight.

I've read about the loop over and glide behavior with another kind of ejection glider - but I can't recall which right now.
That sounds familiar. In the chapter on boost-gliders (B/Gs) in G. Harry Stine's "Handbook of Model Rocketry," he also discussed RGs (Rocket Gliders), which don't drop *any* parts--even spent motor cases--in flight. One type of RG that he described behaves like your Hummingbird models; it has no moving parts, but relies on the burn-off of propellant in its motor to move its Center of Gravity rearward so that it will glide. This type of RG transitions to a glide quickly, flying as your models do. It could be that the Hummingbird B/G (and it is a "short-coupled" design, having its horizontal stabilizer rather close behind its wings) achieves the same Center of Gravity shift as that type of RG, causing it to arch over into horizontal flight at the end of its motor burn.
Quote:
The BT-50 based Hummer Upscale I fly with an engine adapter that has a washer glued to the top. (And a streamer). Behaves the same. I think I've flown that one on a B - and fished it out of shrubs in an oak/hickory stand. Complete luck it didn't hang up higher.
Have you considered publishing a plans/build/fly article about it in "Sport Rocketry?" A lot of folks would enjoy it!
Quote:
I've two gliders I've had no luck with. My Ringhawk downscale does the sliding transition - but never seems to have any forward motion afterward - it just falls gently to earth. My Flying Stovepipe is great with hand tosses - but I can't get the booster to disengage.
I'm not familiar with the Ringhawk, but I have seen the "Flyin' Stovepipe" plans online. Conceptually, it's similar to the French SNECMA turbojet-powered Coléoptère (Coleopter, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNECMA...3%A9opt%C3%A8re ) VTOL (Vertical Take-Off and Landing) aircraft, which was designed to utilize its annular duct/airfoil for horizontal flight. Keep trying--the Flyin' Stovepipe should turn in beautiful rocket-boosted glides, judging by the performances of paper ring gliders that I've made and flown.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 07-21-2013 at 10:57 AM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.