Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 07:16 AM
Old BAR

Most folks go on and buy the rocket(s) if they are in production. The reasons are many, but suffice to say it is the right thing to do, since the manufacturer went to all the trouble to get the kit out there for us.
Scratch building, at least as I do it, is building models no longer in production.
I'm sure there are other opinions, though...

Allen
Old 04-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Gentleman Rocketeer

+1 on what jetlag said.... currently in production please purchase and enjoy the Manf. product.
My personal take on it is....If it has been 00P and Reissued (by another manf. or the orig producer) i have no problem with a "tribute build"....oh and anything scale is free game....the other note is...with the discount deal at everyone's favorite store for wicker furniture and popurri) an STM-012 Can be had for about 12 bucks
Old 04-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Default Premium cost of cloning

Looking at the Estes STM 012 kit on the Al's Hobby site, I considered the cost of cloning this thing. The tubes, rings and fins are pretty cheap for many builders who have accumulated stashes of parts - maybe 3-4 bucks worth of stuff.

If you have such a nosecone in your stash, then that's a big help. Or, if you can turn one, that works, too. But if you have to buy that cone, I can't imagine getting it delivered (mail order) for less than 5-6 bucks.

And you still don't have the decals. That's gonna be another 5-6 bucks (with shipping).

So, we're looking at a total in the range 13-16 dollars, about the same price as you can get it at Hobby Lobby using a 40%-off coupon (assuming they have started carrying it). Even if one gets it mail order and pays an additional 6-8 bucks in shipping, it saves the hassle of ordering parts from multiple vendors and re-rendering decals. (And the 6-8 bucks can be effectively reduced by adding other items to the order.)

The one thing cloners have going for them on this kit is that there are no hard- or impossible-to-clone parts.

But, for the price of the kit, I don't see any advantages to cloning it.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 04-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
I wrote: But, for the price of the kit, I don't see any advantages to cloning it.
I should add, for something like this design, I'm usually inspired to change it anyway I think it's begging for conversion to 2-stage! (But booster recovery will present some design challenges!)

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 04-11-2013, 10:55 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I should add, for something like this design, I'm usually inspired to change it anyway I think it's begging for conversion to 2-stage! (But booster recovery will present some design challenges!)

The booster is a bit long for gap staging. Light the second stage with electronics.

Or if you have superhuman gap staging skills, then cluster the booster to get additional ejection charges for recovery.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 04-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
The booster is a bit long for gap staging. Light the second stage with electronics.

Or if you have superhuman gap staging skills, then cluster the booster to get additional ejection charges for recovery.
Those are the thoughts I had, Bill. Use a cluster with one or two motors ducted to light the sustainer and the remaining motor(s) to eject the booster recovery. Or use electronics.

Doug
YORF member #11