Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Master Modeler

I too would be interested in the fin jig as well! I think I live in a crooked house, every time I draw the placement lines on a tube using a door jam the lines are all askew, just enough to be noticeable..
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 09-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherjon
I too would be interested in the fin jig as well! I think I live in a crooked house, every time I draw the placement lines on a tube using a door jam the lines are all askew, just enough to be noticeable..

One simple solution, next time you are at your LHS (assuming you have one), pick up a piece of brass angle (maybe 1/4" wide). If you lay it against the BT, it will settle down straight, and it's span is small enough to give you a straight edge on almost any size BT.

Greg
Old 09-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Yet another BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
One simple solution, next time you are at your LHS (assuming you have one), pick up a piece of brass angle (maybe 1/4" wide). If you lay it against the BT, it will settle down straight, and it's span is small enough to give you a straight edge on almost any size BT.

Greg

I use a 1/2" aluminum angle from Lowes for *most* of my body tubes. I need the 1/4" for the BT-5's
Old 09-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherjon

I demonstrate this at every class I teach and I emphasize the number one cause of wavy lines (as I discovered myself as a youth): You must find a straight door frame with a step for the tube to rest in. Then lay the pen or pencil flat on the wall and move it up and down flat on the wall to make the line. It you hold the pen or pencil in your hand, the tip will move and the line on the tube will be wavy or slanted.

The angle extrusion is great for drawing lines and we also demonstrate that as well.

Then we demonstrate how to do the 'double glue' technique with yellow glue and how fast the fins set.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Dazed and Confused

None of my door frames are straight. I use the sliding rail on my computer keyboard drawer for some lines, and on others I use a nice piece of aluminum angle stock.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein

Greg

I've bought 1" aluminum angle from Home Depot, and will definitely have to look for small brass angle. Had never thought to look at the LHS.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp