Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2017, 09:26 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Well, I happened to be driving past Hobby Lobby again this evening so I stopped in and bought a package of the Bob Smith 30 minute epoxy using the 40% off coupon again (after reading several other threads here about epoxy, many recommended this one).

CA for the fins? I find that interesting. Most threads/posts in these forums about CA state that it's pretty worthless because it's so brittle. At one point I thought seriously about using CA glue for all of my regular rocket builds because I HATE waiting for regular glue to dry (I do use wood glue, not white glue), but after reading so many bad comments about CA glue on these forums I decided to give up the idea.

Does it have to be a specific CA for this purpose? I do have some just regular household superglue, but I'd have to run out to buy any special modeling type CA glue. (I do know there are various thicknesses of CA for different purposes.)

Side note, Hobby Lobby did also have the Majestic kit on the shelf, but it was a $50 kit compared to the Star Orbiter being a $22 kit. Even with the 40% coupon, I'm not quite ready to spend that much on a rocket yet.

I will say, getting into the PSII line kind of violates my personal preference on the types of kits I typically buy. I typically stay away from the just plain tube with fins type, which all of these PSII models are. I go more for the cool sci-fi'ish looking rockets that look like they could be an actual space ship, or scale models of actual rockets (my pride is still my Saturn V I built about 25 or 30 years ago and still have). But as I stated in my original post, for the cost of this bundle, I decided to give more power a try.

I love WATCHING other people launch high power rockets, but for my personal tastes I like looking at them as a model of something cool just as much as I enjoy launching them.