Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2006, 12:52 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default EMRR Review, Part Deaux

Jay,

I started a flight log on EMRR for the 10" TZ, so maybe folks will read both logs and start drooling for this previously-unknown SEMROC kit that no one else has seen... OK, well, maybe four of us have seen it, one down in NZ...

Here's the link: TZ10 Logs

Bill E., how about tossing a log for your prototype TZ onto EMRR? Call it the fourth prototype. Jay's already talked about two, mine makes three...

Just noticed on the original log, my three entries now show up along with Jay's first five, and in chronological order. Neat...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 10-23-2006, 01:10 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up "Tau Zero" flight logs *galore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
I started a flight log on EMRR for the 10" TZ
Good job! BTW, you'll have to spell out the word 'inch' since double quotes " get lost in translation.

Quote:
so maybe folks will read both logs and start drooling for this previously-unknown SEMROC kit that no one else has seen... OK, well, maybe four of us have seen it, one down in NZ...
Close, but no cigar. You're thinking of extreme southeastern OZ-tralia, perhaps?

Quote:
Bill E., how about tossing a log for your prototype TZ onto EMRR? Call it the fourth prototype.
Here's Bill's original log, listed under "Potatohead Rocketry" ('cause Bill's "Fishhead," don'tcha see):
http://www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bi...etry%-%Tau%Zero

Quote:
Just noticed on the original log, my three entries now show up along with Jay's first five, and in chronological order. Neat...
Actually, I had 4 up, and added 5 more last night, so between you and me, we're up to 12 flights on this design. Bill's got 3 flights, and if I recall correctly, Andrew Scott (he of the John Deere green and yellow Tau Zero) has 2.

BTW, I'm thinking my Tau Zero Prototype III will have a 1.75" x 24" streamer folded in half. The 36" streamer on Prototype I was *way* too long.

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 10-23-2006, 12:39 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Good job! BTW, you'll have to spell out the word 'inch' since double quotes " get lost in translation.

Yea, found that out after hitting the submit button...

Quote:
Close, but no cigar. You're thinking of extreme southeastern OZ-tralia, perhaps?

Geography was never my strongest science. Still ain't...

Quote:
Here's Bill's original log, listed under "Potatohead Rocketry" ('cause Bill's "Fishhead," don'tcha see):
http://www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bi...etry%-%Tau%Zero

I didn't see his, but I'll go read them. I need to start logs on my BARCLONEs, too...

Addendum: Logs for the most-recent BARCLONE flights are now up on EMRR. I also found Bill's logs. TZ10 will be flying again at the next opportunity, so maybe I can get some additional entries for you.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635

Last edited by CPMcGraw : 10-23-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up "Tau Zero" Prototype II-B

Quote:
I'm thinking my Tau Zero Prototype III will have a 1.75" x 24" streamer folded in half. The 36" streamer on Prototype I was *way* too long. [SNIP]

The C6-5 flight last Saturday (21 Oct) proved that an 18" (non-folded) streamer didn't have *enough* drag to protect the nose cone, but the tail section appeared to be undamaged. Hence the intermediate length for *this* go-around.
Decent flying weather will soon no longer be available here in Southern Idaho (and around much of the US), so yesterday I realized I needed to get some "emergency" test flights in on my "new, improved" Tau Zero before it's too late.

I had the two body tube and fin assemblies from my first *very rough* attempt at building Tau Zero Prototype II. The inner fins weren't lined up perfectly straight, but I shot both sections with "Emergency Orange" so I could *see* the rest of the rocket if it separated from the nose cone again.

I sprayed the broken tip of the nose cone used on both Prototypes I and II with light gray, just so any "landing" damage would be evident. This afternoon, I used medium CA to glue together the fin/tube assemblies, and let it dry for 30 minutes while I drove to "Old Home Place Field" (slightly less famous than, say, "B6-4 Field"). (Picture #1)

I loaded Tau Zero Prototype II-B with an A8-3 and pushed the launch button. After seeing this model on a "C" motor, the 300 foot flight was anti-climatic, except the 24" streamer made the TZ fall "tail-first" for a while, but it landed parallel to the ground. There was no visible damage, and the rocket landed about 100 feet from the launch pad. It looks like I'll have to extend the elastic shock cord from 24" to 30" to see if I can avoid the snapback pictured in Photo #2.

The sun was going down for flight #2 on a B4-4 (since that was the only B*-4 motor the variety store had today). About 500 feet up, the rocket arced away... AND SEEMED TO DISAPPEAR INTO THE CLEAR BLUE SKY. (Middle age is officially here, and these transitional lenses are no help!) I managed to find the rocket about 300 feet from the pad, with some damage to the unfilled and unfinished fins (Photo #3).

I shoved a C6-5 for a final flight. I lost sight of the rocket (again) on its way up, but the sky was dark enough that I saw the flare of the ejection charge. I lost it again, but thanks to the EMERGENCY ORANGE, I managed to recover the model 100 feet upwind of the pad (after reorienting the launch rod), even with the fading light.

Overall, these "just in time" flights have confirmed my suspicions (good and bad) about this design, so it looks like I can finalize the parts list.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  TauZero_Prototype_II-B_DSCF1762.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  446.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  TauZero_SnapbackDamage_DSCF1775.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  123.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  TauZero_FinDamage_DSCF1776.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  39.1 KB  
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 10-30-2006, 11:33 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
The sun was going down for flight #2 on a B4-4 (since that was the only B*-4 motor the variety store had today). About 500 feet up, the rocket arced away... AND SEEMED TO DISAPPEAR INTO THE CLEAR BLUE SKY. (Middle age is officially here, and these transitional lenses are no help!) I managed to find the rocket about 300 feet from the pad, with some damage to the unfilled and unfinished fins (Photo #3).

Unless you know what the model hit on the ground, that fin tip looks like the shock chord was pulled through the fin. I'm trying to picture the deployment in my mind and figure out how the elastic, Kevlar, or the streamer leader got pulled sideways through the balsa. You don't have any tube edge to strike up there, so that's ruled out.

I'm wondering if maybe you should eliminate the elastic completely, and substitute a 48" length of Kevlar thread? Might be worth a test flight, the only thing that you might loose would be a bone-pile throw-down.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635