Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Craftsman

Now , that was a really cool video.
Thanks
Old 07-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Master Modeler

Default Flight #0731

Launched my Golden Scout Friday 07/25/08. Nice boost on a 1/2A6-2 with tumble recovery within 25' of the launch pad. There was a bit of a thud when it hit, but apparently it ws just the motor sliding back into the nose cone. The 'lil dude was fast so I missed the lift off.

Was once SAM#0132
Old 07-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Cool video Roger.

I flew #89 yesterday at the JMRC July launch. Great flight on an A8-5.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Thanks for all the kind comments about the video I posted. My wife and I had fun making it. And our neighbors are probably still wondering why I was laying on the grass in the front yard while my wife repeatedly threw a little golden pointy thing at me. I should put together a "blooper" reel. :-)

-- Roger
Old 07-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
Thanks for all the kind comments about the video I posted. My wife and I had fun making it. And our neighbors are probably still wondering why I was laying on the grass in the front yard while my wife repeatedly threw a little golden pointy thing at me. I should put together a "blooper" reel. :-)

-- Roger

Roger,
That was a fantastic video!!!!!!! If Semroc chose to do a TV commercial for rocketry products, that would be a great one to use!

Launched #'s 1062 (mine), 1063 (my buddy, George's), and 1064 (my son's---he is 11 yo---add the #'s up ). All were launched one time with 1/2A6-2's. All had perfect flights, except George; his flew beautifully, but on the return trip, it hit the only rock in the whole field! Just broke the fin in half, which was CA'ed later. My son wants to display his with the motor still in it with the Certificate. Not a bad idea, I thought.
Thanks, Vern and Gleda (is it Gleda or Glenda? I've seen it both ways).
Thanks Carl and RD for all the encouragement and support, and making this possible for the rest of us to enjoy!
We fired quite a few rockets yesterday, which I'll talk about elsewhere on YORF.
As usual, a great time was had by all of us, thanks mostly to Vern and Gleda!
Allen
Old 07-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Golden Scout #1046 flown today on an A8-3. Perfect boost and tumble. Unfortunately, it caught a bit of a breeze on the way down and landed in a wooded area next to my son's elementary school. No chance of finding it.

Drew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_7242.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  236.9 KB  
Old 07-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Craftsman

What did they say when she hung you in the air to follow it up and down?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox

-- Roger
Old 07-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Craftsman

I've been lurking on YORF for a while, and figured what better time for a first post than in the Golden Scout flight thread.

I decided at the last moment to purchase 3 Golden Scouts from Carl before he left for NARAM. I figured I'd build one, fly it, and hoard the other two for collectors sake. After mentioning the "Sky of Gold" to my Dad, he offered to take a Golden Scout off my hands, build and fly it. I later mentioned "Sky of Gold" to my uncle, who had an original Scout in his younger years, and he decided it'd be fun to participate. So much for keeping an unbuilt kit or two Oh well, kits are meant to be built and flown anyway.

Package showed up last Thursday, Scouts were built over the weekend, and the launch date Tuesday, July 29 was upon us. Skies were mostly cloudy, with winds at a steady 10-12 mph.

The first flight was a wind test, Baby Bertha on a B4-4. After a nice boost with a little weathercocking, the 12" nylon chute deployed and the rocket drifted back within 15' of the pad.

A group shot wast then taken with our Scouts (photo 1). From left to right: Eric (me), Tom (my Dad), and Kevin (my Uncle).

The first Scout of the day was then placed on the pad, Kevin's Golden Scout #1113 on a 1/2A6-2 (photo 2). Kevin installed a thrust ring just aft of the vent holes, and did not use any shims for his flight. Following a quick boost, the motor kicked back as designed, and the Scout tumbled back to earth. Despite the proper descent and grass landing area, a soft balsa fin broke about 3/8" out from the root.

The second Scout was Tom's #1114, also on a 1/2A6-2. Tom didn't use any shims, but did place a balsa spacer forward of the engine to prevent the engine from pushing too far forward. Scout #1114 turned in a stellar performance, boosting straight, and tumbling back to ground with no damage about 30' from the pad it left from (photo 3).

The third Scout was Eric's #1112 (photo 4), which was to fly on another 1/2A6-2. Ignoring the two previous nominal flights, I followed all the recommendations of installing a shim opposite of the engine hook. As prescribed, the motor was slightly snug, but still could be moved in/out with little effort. Following a quick boost, Scout #1112 had a quick recovery...read that ballistic. The motor failed to slide aft, resulting in a lawn dart and a slight crinkle in the body tube just aft of the nosecone (photo 5).

Seeking redemption, I flew #1112 on another 1/2A6-2, this time around using no shim. I simply bent the motor hook in slightly, and allowed the loose fit in the airframe. This time, the Scout turned in a fully successful flight (photo 6).

Tom prepped his Baby Bertha again, this time flying it on an MRC A8-3. After a majestic liftoff, the Baby struggled for altitude. The 3 second delay was more like a 5 second delay, and the Bertha popped it's chute about 10' AGL, slowing the descent somewhat. No fins were harmed, but the front end of the body tube was bent up a bit.

I just couldn't ignore the opened pack of B4-6's sitting in the range box. Tempting fate, Scout #1112 was loaded up with a B4-6. After a long boost , my eyes were straining to see the little dot in the sky. Tom and Kevin had already lost sight of it. When the 6 second delay elapsed, the tiny dot started tumbling down. The steady winds were carrying that little bird quite a ways however, so I started walking, then running in the direction of the drifting Scout. I followed the tumbler all the way to the ground, where it landed on asphalt behind a set of chain-link fence. After determining the "easiest" method of getting to #1112, I hopped two fences, grabbed the Scout, hopped back over the fences, happy that the Scout survived the B4 attempt. See photo 7 for damage. A slightly dinged fin, a small scratch or two on the arm, and a big rip in the seat of my pants (that pic omitted out of courtesy for any onlookers )

That's our Scout adventure! Thanks to Vern and Gleda for getting the whole thing started 50 years ago, Carl and the Semroc gang for doing up the kits and flightlogs, RocketDoc for the idea, and all others who contributed. We were happy to have participated.

-Eric Cayemberg-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  280.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  307.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  292.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  303.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  259.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  268.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  268.5 KB  
Old 07-30-2008, 08:33 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Thumbs up

See..., now that post didn't hurt ... did it Herr Lurker

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 07-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Great post Eric. Thanks for taking the time to share!