Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2005, 02:01 AM
BP Mafia

Default Big chicks

I've been working on a comparison article for the EMRR Challenge contest, and this weekend finished the rockets that I plan to fly as a part of the article. I'd recently built another Big Bertha, so I stuck with that thread of an idea and built a Quest Big Betty and a Semroc Vega to fly alongside of their elder sister. I'm happy to report that all three were great builds, but they couldn't have been more different. I built Bertha as bone stock as possible in keeping with the spirit of the comparison, and built like this it's very obvious that it's time for Estes to update their kits. The paper shock cord mount was a step forward in the 60's, but these days it's cheesy, especially with the amount of shock cord they supply. I'm also less than fond about the sticker decals, but I read recently that waterslide decals were making a comeback in some of the new kits. Here's hoping.
Big Betty was a better build because of the inclusion of the Kevlar, but the overall feel of the kit is that of a shabby imitation of Bertha. The nose cone was so big that it hung over the edge of the body tube, kind of like a roll of fat. The sticker decals are no prize either, but from a distance Betty is a nice looking lady. I'm looking forward to the flight for this one, hopefully this afternoon.
The Semroc Vega was the hands down winner, in my opinion. That shouldn't be a big surprise as it's the newest kit (with ties to 1969) and Semroc understands what it means to get it right. Another obviously Bertha-esque rocket, (and they admit it in the instructions,) this one benefitted from the laser cut balsa and Kevlar shock cord, as well as a balsa nose cone. She'll be my leadoff bird this afternoon unless I screw up my schedule somehow.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 09-12-2005, 03:40 PM
The_Ripper

The Semroc Vega caught my eye when I first saw it on the Semroc website. What are you planning to use for the first flight?
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 09-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Thanks, Bill!

Our Vega was designed around the original Big Bertha as depicted in Estes Industries Rocket Plan No. 13. My original had a pine nose cone turned on our Craftsman lathe with the ogive shape as shown on the plans. I did not realize until I got an Estes kit years later that the BNC-60L was elliptical instead of ogive. Anyway, the same nose cone profile found its way into our Vega, Goliath, and Hydra VII (and no Estes kits.)

I think the illustator for the MRN that released the instructions for the Big Bertha took some shortcuts drawing the nose cone.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 09-12-2005, 10:37 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
The Semroc Vega caught my eye when I first saw it on the Semroc website. What are you planning to use for the first flight?

B6-4's will be the order of the day when this launch happens due to field size constraints. I've already learned my lesson about anything bigger than a B6 on B6-4 Field. Even that could be pushing it if the upper winds are blowing to the west. Hungry trees out that way.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 09-12-2005, 10:56 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
Thanks, Bill!

Our Vega was designed around the original Big Bertha as depicted in Estes Industries Rocket Plan No. 13. My original had a pine nose cone turned on our Craftsman lathe with the ogive shape as shown on the plans. I did not realize until I got an Estes kit years later that the BNC-60L was elliptical instead of ogive. Anyway, the same nose cone profile found its way into our Vega, Goliath, and Hydra VII (and no Estes kits.)

I think the illustator for the MRN that released the instructions for the Big Bertha took some shortcuts drawing the nose cone.

You'll be getting a Hydra VII order from my brother soon. He e-mailed me tonight and wants to know what I want for my birthday. Do you do gift certificates?
My wife is getting me a washing machine.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 09-13-2005, 06:43 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
B6-4's will be the order of the day when this launch happens due to field size constraints. I've already learned my lesson about anything bigger than a B6 on B6-4 Field. Even that could be pushing it if the upper winds are blowing to the west. Hungry trees out that way.

Cool

I'm looking forward to your EMRR article. I've never seen the Semroc Vega in person or in flight.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 09-13-2005, 08:15 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Do you do gift certificates?
Yes!

Quote:
My wife is getting me a washing machine.
What are you flying in on?
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 09-13-2005, 11:24 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
What are you flying in on?

A special EX mixture of Clorox and Oxydol, with a little Pine Sol thrown in for that pine-fresh scent.

I e-mailed Dave with the contact info. He should be in touch with you on the G.C. soon. (Dave's the one who made one or two flights with his Beta (lime green and burgundy metallic) back in 1977, then decided that his time was better spent stomping "procreating" grasshoppers.)

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 09-13-2005, 11:27 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Cool

I'm looking forward to your EMRR article. I've never seen the Semroc Vega in person or in flight.

I planned to have some pictures to bring in tonight, but my wife packed away the cord for my camera. Cross Country meet tomorrow, so I might try a couple of quick flights on Thursday. If that doesn't happen, I guess I'll hope for Saturday.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 09-14-2005, 10:58 PM
BP Mafia

Default Pics of the chicks

With the exception of the little Estes "orbit" logo on Bertha, these are finished. I might try to get them up later today, but a lot depends on the kids schedules. I tossed in a few pics of my almost finished Orion clone.
The Big Betty was a pretty straight up build except that I used Harvest Orange paint instead of yellow. (Can't find my yellow since the move.) I tried to reproduce the Semroc Vega scheme, but decided to go with solid color fins instead. My masking skills OBVIOUSLY weren't up to the task.
As for the Orion, it still needs a bit of work, but it should be flyable by the weekend. And hopefully painted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  1969 Estes Beta.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  334.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Quest Big Betty.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  312.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc Vega finished.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  298.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc Vega.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  348.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Orion clone.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  321.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Orion clone 2.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  329.7 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Last edited by A Fish Named Wallyum : 09-14-2005 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Damn pictures wouldn't upload