Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2009, 07:11 AM
Paper Rocketeer

OK - I've resisted commenting here until now, but I would like to weigh in before the event. I don't know if I'll be able to attend - I have to work this afternoon/evening and will probably be tied up a good part of the time.

I'd just like to remind everyone that we do have an opportunity here to give Barry some idea of what our segment of the hobby community would like to see out of Estes. So, as Ken said - BE CIVIL! We won't get anywhere if someone with an axe to grind jumps in and starts accusing Barry of eating babies, kicking dogs and/or cats or similar things. If you don't have something constructive to say, just sit on your hands and read the thread. In a similar vein, let Barry know what we think Estes has done right in the last few years. Kits like Der Red Max, Interceptor and Interceptor E are a really good start. The new Classic Series is another really good thing - We need to encourage Barry to follow through on this line.

Likewise motors. Reintroducing the A8-0 and A10-0 are really welcome in these days of diminishing launch field size. But don't beat a dead horse - I know most of use would love to see B14s come back, but it WON'T happen so no reason to even bring it up. C5s and B8s might be a different story.

Remember that, first and foremost, Estes is a company that needs to make a profit to continue to operate. Ask questions that acknowledge this while still answering our needs on the hobby side of the equation.

That's all I got.

Greg
Old 03-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Craftsman

Default Giving the Devil his due

While I do think there is more intended than meets the eye, I doubt there is anything sinister intended.

Mr. Tunnick is a BUSINESSMAN. Estes is a BUSINESS.
When the environment changes, an organism (Estes included) must:
A) adapt,
B) migrate,
or
C) die.

His company has been able to adapt and migrate in order to survive. RTF models and launch kits have succeded in putting food on peoples' plates as well as putting rocket engines on the shelves.

While we all mourn the OOP-ing of any motor as if it were a dear friend, we still have a lot of motors to choose from. As long as they sell RTF, they sell motors. As long as they sell motors, we buy motors. And it was good....

Estes still produces non RTF rockets and is planning to add to the current offerings. If the line-up of kits does not change and evolve, the company dies. While I may miss the Astron Mark and Sky Hook of my youth, I doubt if Mr. Tunnick is willing to pay the price (monetary or otherwise) of having Mrs. Tunnick roll body tubes on the kitchen floor.

At this time, we thrive because they survive. Without us, they still survive.

Who knows? He may have ulterior purposes. If so, I hope one of them is to announce new motors using the new propellant. That new stuff might make a mean, new B-14!
Old 03-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Master Modeler

I have patiently sat back and read the comments made here.
The observations of Gus and John Brohm are right on target.
There are no hidden agenda's here.
Estes does follow the forums.
In my opinion, by Barry coming on this forum, has nothing to do with any pending sales of the company.
It seems to me that Estes has been the target of negative criticism forever, they may have not done everything that could be done, but, at least they have tried, It's a very hard marketplace for this hobby and any business in general.

Inorder for this to work smoothly, I ask that only one question per member, short and sweet.
Barry will post his answer and then we will go on from there. It was also suggested that a different type of format be used, This was a last minute decision and time was at hand.
Compare this to any Q & A session, not all questions are given and answered.

We all need to sit back and take a deep breathe and think positively.
I have advised BOTH sides to be civil, courteous and stay on topic Estes, no personal attacks, name calling etc.

Hopefully, this will educate us to what is going on at Estes.

Like I have previously mentioned, I will post a new thread at 4pm Colorado time "Ask Barry" under this heading, one question and answer at a time, don't open up the flood gates.

Also it was mentioned that a computer crash was planned, no so, I know Estes wants to participate and doesn't want not to.

I will have no further comments here, my head is spinning from all of this. So, tune in at 4pm Colorado time this evening and lets all be patient and learn from this Q & A session from Barry.

And, there will be no fill in, it will be Barry himself, no PR person........
Old 03-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
While I question many of the choices Estes makes I try to keep in mind that they've been the principal agent keeping this hobby alive for the last 30 years (or longer). The fact that starter kits and motors are available in every corner of the country is Estes doing. That a parent can walk into Walmart anywhere in the country and buy a starter kit with a launch pad, controller, rocket and instructions for less than $20 is fabulous and amazing.

It is especially impressive when one considers the ever-shrinking access to usable launch fields, the public's continuing obsession with safety uber alles, and the fact (is it a fact, I think I heard this) that kids just don't engage in outside activities as much. Although I suspect the third is at least partly a result of the first.

Oh, and those stinkin' environmentalists planting trees everywhere. I can't count how many great rocket fields I've found, except they were full of pesky trees.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:19 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The best solution to a pesky tree is a LARGE CHAINSAW !!!!!

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Walther

Oh, and those stinkin' environmentalists planting trees everywhere. I can't count how many great rocket fields I've found, except they were full of pesky trees.

Yeah! Wouldn't it be great if all of the trees just went away!
Old 03-30-2009, 01:45 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

It may be a stretch but I will say (post) it:
As Estes goes, so goes the hobby

In my point of view, the entry point for most rocketeers is via Estes. Therefore, not only do I want Estes to survive, I want them to grow the hobby. Most of my modrocs in my current fleet are Estes. Why? That is what was in the store at the time, it was affordable, and it was a good value for the money. The products of Estes (and Centuri) were a way, for those of us old enough to remember, to participate in the space program (those were the days, and I wish my children could have experienced it). To a large degree those days are gone. Times are different now (at least the physics haven't changed) and my hope is that Estes will continue, for future generations.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:48 AM
Craftsman

Did I miss something here? I didn't tune in for the "live" chat, but came to read through the Q&A afterwards - I see the questions that were posted in a separate thread, but I can't find any responses from Barry Tunick.

Did the chat happen? If so, what happened to the thread or conversation?

Thanks
Old 03-31-2009, 08:59 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWolman
Did I miss something here? I didn't tune in for the "live" chat, but came to read through the Q&A afterwards - I see the questions that were posted in a separate thread, but I can't find any responses from Barry Tunick.

Did the chat happen? If so, what happened to the thread or conversation?

Thanks

Read the first post in this thread....change of plans.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...604&postcount=1
Old 03-31-2009, 10:06 AM
Craftsman

I guess it helps if I read the whole thing, I was jumping ahead looking for answers...

Thanks