Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2017, 05:24 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex R
had beautiful weather(who would've thunk that we would get over 60F and no wind, in February, in Wisconsin), so the B-Big got its' maiden flight on a pair of B6 motors. not a blink and miss it launch. it were a slow deliberate launch to about 30' then staged, sustainer got up to approximately 300'. about as close to textbook as it gets. as for booster stability after staging...unknown, by the time anyone looked it had landed(undamaged). beauty shot of it sitting on the pad.
Rex
Thanks for the update! And congrats on a damage-free recovery

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 02-25-2017, 09:14 AM
BAR

Quote:
had beautiful weather(who would've thunk that we would get over 60F and no wind, in February, in Wisconsin), so the B-Big got its' maiden flight on a pair of B6 motors. not a blink and miss it launch. it were a slow deliberate launch to about 30' then staged, sustainer got up to approximately 300'. about as close to textbook as it gets. as for booster stability after staging...unknown, by the time anyone looked it had landed(undamaged). beauty shot of it sitting on the pad.
Rex
Sounds like a nice flight, Rex. I wonder if a 3rd 24mm stage could be added?
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 02-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Craftsman

something like this perhaps? open rocket says it is doable...I will let someone else try it .
Rex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  BBBig.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  28.0 KB  
Old 02-25-2017, 05:52 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
something like this perhaps? open rocket says it is doable...I will let someone else try it .Rex
If we're talking BP motors, I've done it by clustering the first stage. I have what I call an Uber Tuber that stacks three 24mm motors on the centerline plus has three 18mm outboards on the first stage. The total impulse of the outboards isn't so important as just getting a good thrust spike so as to leave the rod with enough speed to avoid excess weathercocking or gravity turning. I think as few as 3 half-A's might be adequate. The key is that, with a 3-stage Bertha, with all its low-slung fin area, such a rocket will be especially prone to off-vertical flight So building up rod speed must be a priority

That said, with all the hobby resources we have available, there are several other ways to approach such a challenge. For example, one could go with fully electronic staging and recovery and use higher performance composite motors (all the way up to the impulse level STUPID ).

Anyway, as long it has appropriate rod speed for whatever the conditions, it could be a fun flight to culminate a fun project

To be clear, I find the simple BP approach as challenging as the all electronic. Both approaches have their critical details. The rocketeering/engineering challenge is determining what all the critical details are, and then taking appropriate action to avoid them. The devil is in the details...

Put another way, I can lawn dart BP and AP with equal aplomb

Doug

YORF member #11

Last edited by Doug Sams : 02-25-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:04 PM
Craftsman

second flight was last Sunday, needs more speed at staging...lightweight chute and a C6 ought to do it. video(taken by a friend) here; https://youtu.be/JwV81WpPX_I
Rex