Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default 1960's NAR film?

The members of this group are always great about helping to locate things. Here is another request from an old time rocketeer...

I remember at NARAM 4, a 16mm movie was shown about the NAR and Model rocketry. As I recall, much of it was filmed a couple of years earlier at NARAM 2.

With all of the wonders of the digital age, I was wondering if this film still exhists, and if there is anywhere it can be down-loaded. I wouldn't be surprised if it is already on the board here somewhere, but I just can't get the consarned "search" function to behave.

Will any of you help out an old timer who was born waay before sputnik to find this film and see it again?

Thanks in advance,

The Fireman

formerly NAR 2217,
Peak City Section #2
Old 03-13-2014, 09:33 AM
Master Modeler

Have you tried Youtube?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:34 AM
When Pigs Fly!

I think what you are looking for is on this DVD set, only $5.00 from NARTS:
NAR History DVD
Historical Videos and Photos DVD

https://blastzone.org/nar/narts/sto...d=9270081141341

On disk two:
Model Rocketry: The Space-Age Hobby (early NAR promotional film)

There is a LOT of early stuff on this DVD set.
Inexpensive and very well produced.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 03-15-2014, 08:59 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

That sounds like the film I am looking for! Thanks for the link...

That DVD set should be great... Never knew it existed. I bet there would be a lot of familiar faces in those old photos as well. Sounds like a real treasure trove of early model rocketry. Who knows... I might even show up in some of those early pictures myself.

The price is certainally right. I am going to go check out the link right now.

Just one concern... Can anybody order from NARTS? Or do you have to be a current member? I had to let my membership lapse some years ago for financial reasons. As a senior on a very limited income, there is no way I can afford the current membership fees. Guess the N.A.R. doesn't have much use for an old guy like me...

Thanks again for the link!

The Fireman

formerly NAR 2217,

Peak City Section #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
I think what you are looking for is on this DVD set, only $5.00 from NARTS:
NAR History DVD
Historical Videos and Photos DVD

https://blastzone.org/nar/narts/sto...d=9270081141341

On disk two:
Model Rocketry: The Space-Age Hobby (early NAR promotional film)

There is a LOT of early stuff on this DVD set.
Inexpensive and very well produced.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:06 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman
Just one concern... Can anybody order from NARTS? Or do you have to be a current member? I had to let my membership lapse some years ago for financial reasons. As a senior on a very limited income, there is no way I can afford the current membership fees. Guess the N.A.R. doesn't have much use for an old guy like me...

The Fireman
formerly NAR 2217,
Peak City Section #2
I would like to see NAR adopt a policy of once qualified for HPR cert, always eligible, whether the membership is current or not.

While you can always rejoin if you are so inclined and get your original number back, some folks once a member for a while have decided it is not needed to maintain it. Tens of thousands have. I believe a fraction of those would rejoin long enough to get a permanent HPR cert, and a fraction of those would occasionally rejoin as their activity blips up over the years and decades.

Jerry
Old 03-16-2014, 08:29 AM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
I would like to see NAR adopt a policy of once qualified for HPR cert, always eligible, whether the membership is current or not.

Just to prove that my time machine works, I just jumped back to April of 2012 and made your wish come true! :-)

http://www.nar.org/2012/05/electron...er_may_2012.php

-- Roger
Old 03-16-2014, 08:33 AM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
Just one concern... Can anybody order from NARTS? Or do you have to be a current member?

You do not have to be a NAR member to order from NARTS.

-- Roger
Old 03-16-2014, 09:24 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
Just to prove that my time machine works, I just jumped back to April of 2012 and made your wish come true! :-)

http://www.nar.org/2012/05/electron...er_may_2012.php

-- Roger
Almost. It is only valid when you rejoin, not in-between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezine
Restoring Previous HPR Certifications
The NAR Board's policy change approved at our April meeting that said that NAR high power certification, once earned, remains valid as long as the flier is an NAR member, and is fully restored after a lapse of membership of any duration (no one-year limit any longer), has been very well-received. To clarify what it takes to get an old HPR certification restored after a lapse of membership, the burden of proof of this previous certiifcation is on the member. The best proof of prior certification is a copy of your NAR card that shows it. If you do not have this, then Marie at NAR HQ has to go searching for a record of a previous certification in our files. Because the database software has been deleting records of previous certification after a year of lapsed membership, please make it easy on Marie and send a copy of an old NAR card.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine

Treat HPR like model rocketry, sort of. I don't need to be a NAR member to fly model rockets. What you are suggesting I predict that they won't go for that.

But what is stopping you from treating HPR like model rocketry? Get your NAR/TRA certification. Establish a relationship with a vendor, as in, they have your cert on file and have sold you HPR motors. Let your membership lapse. Then continue to purchase high power motors and fly them on your own (with no insurance to cover mishaps). You don't need the NAR to change its policies to do this.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 03-16-2014, 03:46 PM
BAR

Quote:
That sounds like the film I am looking for! Thanks for the link...

That DVD set should be great... Never knew it existed. I bet there would be a lot of familiar faces in those old photos as well. Sounds like a real treasure trove of early model rocketry. Who knows... I might even show up in some of those early pictures myself.

The price is certainally right. I am going to go check out the link right now.

Thanks again for the link!

The Fireman

formerly NAR 2217,

Peak City Section #2

I hear ya... I did the same thing... dropped my NAR membership because the dues were just too darn high.

I don't fly competition, so I didn't need a NAR number for that.

The only REAL reason I wanted to be a member was to support the organization, and for the MAGAZINE. IMHO the mag's content had largely degenerated to the point of being mostly 2 things-- contest coverage, and HPR articles... neither of which particularly interest me. HPR had several magazines (at one point or another) to choose from, and the NAR mag was at the bottom of that list, so I guess the choice to include lots more HPR stuff instead of LPR/MPR was a political one... that and the HPR membership is the one with "money to burn"... "Golden Rule" sorta thing (He who has the gold makes the rules).

I fly off my own farm, and therefore I don't need the insurance to get a flying field. In fact a couple clubs fly off my land at various times, so their charter insurance should cover their activities when they're here.

Back in the late 80's when I was a NAR member as a high schooler, the dues were MUCH cheaper because you paid an extra $30 bucks if you wanted to be insured... that meant the dues were about $20 bucks or so. Somewhere along the line in the mid-90's I'm given to understand they made the insurance MANDATORY as part of the membership, thus instantly raising the dues for everybody by about $30 bucks yearly. Since I don't need the insurance, that's wasted money for me.

Since I don't spend tons of money on rocketry, the $62 dollar dues were about 1/4-1/3 of my yearly hobby budget... that's simply too much IMHO. SO I dropped it.

IF NAR had a subscription to the magazine ALONE, I would buy it, as I DID find SOME content interesting (aside from the contest coverage and HPR articles, some of which were interesting in their own right if for nothing else than FYI). BUT, alas, NAR DOES NOT offer a magazine subscription alone unless it's for a library or teacher's room. I guess this is just a way of trying to strong-arm folks who would otherwise not join into paying the full dues to get the magazine... Instead I just keep my money in my pocket and buy NOTHING from them since they don't want to offer the mag alone.

NARTS doesn't require you to be a NAR member, but the prices are higher for non-members, which is fine. I OCCASIONALLY buy stuff from NARTS-- bought the full set of ROTW books and supplements, stuff like that. Don't mind paying extra since I'm not a member, and it supports the organization.

I'd like to support it more but not at the kind of cost they're talking about...

It is what it is I guess... But I *do* think they're leaving money on the table and locking people out trying to foist a "one-size-fits-all" approach on it...

Later! OL JR