Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Master Modeler

Default Mach 10 canopy

I'm currently working on In Flight's Mach10 clone. True to the original instructions, the In Flight instructions have you mount the forward edge of the canopy 1/4 inch from the front edge of the tube. This seemed further forward than what I thought I had remembered seeing, so I checked the catalog pics to make sure I wasn't imagining things. I know drawing and camera perspective can play tricks on the eyes, but is it just me, or does the canopy look like it sits farther back than 1/4 inch?

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...d/71dcen44.html
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/no...a/73cen032.html
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...i77/77cat8.html

If I were to guess, I'd say the canopy was closer to 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the front. In later catalog photos, it is exaggerated even more ...perhaps as much as an inch or more?

I know the canopy placement probably isn't critical and just an aesthetic thing, but what is everyone else's take on this?

Apologies if this has been covered before.

Last edited by foose4string : 08-22-2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: fixed links
Old 08-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Craftsman

My instructions are based off the scans on the Jimz site (Plans ) but the PDF instructions are different and show the canopy at 1" from the front. The scans show 1/4" from the front. Crazy

It's really going to be your choice at this point.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Dazed and Confused

Compare the launch lug diameter to the distance to get a better perspective. It's definitely more than 1/4". I've found over the years that Centuri instructions and model photos don't always jive. In some cases, they don't tell you anything at all and you just have to guess at it. I'd use the TLAR method since there is evidence of variable placement at Centuri.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlight
My instructions are based off the scans on the Jimz site (Plans ) but the PDF instructions are different and show the canopy at 1" from the front. The scans show 1/4" from the front. Crazy

It's really going to be your choice at this point.

I didn't see the 1 inch designation in the .pdf file either. That one says 1/4" as well.
Looks like the TLAR method is going be about as definitive as it's going to get.

*Edit*- Dcastle noted the same discrepancy on TRF. I missed that post somehow. Looks like the 1" measurement is listed on the plans here at YORP, and the 1/4" is on both the pdf and tiff files on Jimz.

I'm going with the 1" measurement as submitted by Bill E.

Last edited by foose4string : 08-22-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by foose4string
I didn't see the 1 inch designation in the .pdf file either. That one says 1/4" as well.
Looks like the TLAR method is going be about as definitive as it's going to get.

oops!

I meant this PDF http://www.inflightrockets.com/publ...uri_mach_10.pdf

Old 08-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Master Modeler

oops... you beat me to my edit!
Old 08-23-2009, 06:17 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Compare the launch lug diameter to the distance to get a better perspective. It's definitely more than 1/4". I've found over the years that Centuri instructions and model photos don't always jive. In some cases, they don't tell you anything at all and you just have to guess at it. I'd use the TLAR method since there is evidence of variable placement at Centuri.

The Centuri Mini-Dactyl is another good example of this. The pop pod nose cone in the catalog illustrations looks like their balsa 4:1 ogive (the plastic version of this nose cone was used in their Star Trooper kit, and the Estes Gnome's plastic BT-5 nose cone is almost identical to the Centuri one).

When I ordered the Mini-Dactyl parts set from Semroc and printed out the scans of the original Centuri Mini-Dactyl kit instructions from JimZ's web site, I was surprised to find that the pop pod nose cone was/is much shorter and has a rounded tip. This balsa nose cone was apparently only used in the Mini-Dactyl kit.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 08-23-2009, 06:32 AM
Craftsman

Default I used 1 in

There are plenty of examples out there on the web, however, I used 1 in on mine because I thought it looked better.

I don't think it could possibly make that much of a difference, but mine required a fair amount of nose weight to get it crash a little better then "straight in". I also didn't put a pod on the nose so that has a lot to do with the nose weight. I am building a skeg to go between the lip of the body tube to the edge of the front wing to help prevent damage to the leading edge of the wing where it meets the body tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Mach 10 Canopy-1.JPG
Views: 132
Size:  21.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Mach10-1.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  35.3 KB  
TRA #11767
Level 1
Old 08-23-2009, 04:10 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Nice F-86 look Jerry!

Now you need a Mig 15 to go with it.

Greg
Old 09-21-2009, 09:15 AM
Master Modeler

Completed the Mach10 last week and flew it yesterday. Launched on a B6-2. I tad squirrelly on the way up, but not too bad. Transitioned nicely into a glide. I didn't add any trim weight at all and it seems to glide pretty well. Not the best glider in the fleet, but it did ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  mach10-grass.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  98.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  mach10-pad.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  81.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Mach10-ignition.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  91.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  mach10-boost.jpg